AC service

Our 2013 Acura ILX(related to Civic) had weak AC. I took to my Indy and he noted he vacated 8.5 oz of Freon and put back in 15oz with green dye. The AC is now really cold and happy for $70 bill.

Is it normal to lose that much in 9 years or does it likely have a larger leak?

Our 2013 Acura ILX(related to Civic) had weak AC. I took to my Indy and he noted he vacated 8.5 oz of Freon and put back in 15oz with green dye. The AC is now really cold and happy for $70 bill.

Is it normal to lose that much in 9 years or does it likely have a larger leak?
I say you might have a leak. Did they do a vacuum check or just install 134????

More likely, you lost that refridgerant over a much shorter period of time than 9 years.. I would say your cold air will be short lived and the system will be low again. You got a temporary band aid fix.

Here's a recent thread on normal leakage:

Here's a recent thread on normal leakage:

Thanks so helpful, appears normal but if not address it.

Efficiency of recovery, if that's even a term, is not 100%. But 5-6 oz over 9 years isn't exactly unheard of.

The systems do leak. Ideally they leak at a minimal rate.

I have 40+ year old r-12 systems and 30 year old r-134 systems that don’t appreciably leak. I am very anal to run the AC system any time the vehicle is operating.

I’ve also had systems leak at the compressor, expansion valve, and evaporator. Lots of potential spots.

It is prudent to try to find it, the dye is a good first start. Hope it’s not the evaporator…

Back