ABS codes

What is the most economical way to read ABS codes? Are there any iOS apps that will do it reliably? Thanks in advance.

I think you can get a dongle for about $50 from TopDon (TopScan) or possibly check Harbor Freight for a stand alone scanner. I don't know how many manufacturers you can add to the iOS dongles though. It's a start for some research.

I believe Hyper Tough's dongle from Walmart has been the cheapest option all system code scanner for the last few years now. They used to be a clone of the Autel AP200(and still might be, but in a different package now. Walmart changed the appearance of it about 1-1.5 years ago to square shaped dongle that's black). The HT and AP200 will only give you full system scan capabilities on a single make of vehicle, so if you have multiple vehicles of different brands, you may want to factor that into your choice. The subscription price for another make used to be something like $20/yr to add another make. If you're keeping a car for a few years, it's probably just cheaper to buy another $49.99 tool instead of paying a subscription fee. Either that or consider spending a little more to get something that includes more makes/models.

I really recommend spending a little more for good unit that can scan all modules and had decent live data. Innova makes several tools that do a lot and cost under $200 especially on ebay. It will pay off in the long run.

Not the cheapest, but I bought what I think is a fairly priced 2 way ABS scanner Foxwell NTS 630 plus for like $130 bucks. I hit a pothole in my truck and the ABS light lit up. Cleared it but it just came back - a couple codes for the ABS valves. I cycled them a few times with the scanner and the codes have not come back - its been 6 months. I am thinking that the ABS never gets used, so when it finally did they were a bit sticky. Reminds me, I should plug in and cycle all of them again as a PM?

I have an Innova scanner that will read ABS and SRS, works great for most vehicles. I've used it on GM and Ford OBD2 vehicles to diagnose codes and then clear them for both. I can't remember the exact model but I believe its a 51xx. I bought it used off Ebay for around $60, you can probably find one similar on there that will do what you need for around that price.

I have an Innova scanner that will read ABS and SRS, works great for most vehicles. I've used it on GM and Ford OBD2 vehicles to diagnose codes and then clear them for both. I can't remember the exact model but I believe its a 51xx. I bought it used off Ebay for around $60, you can probably find one similar on there that will do what you need for around that price.
The 5160 is great tool with ALL module capability and yes under $200 on ebay and about $275 new from innova. It also has a few bidirectional controls.

Does Carista still exist? They're $20 for a bluetooth dongle and 30 days of use then you "rent" more as you need it.

Let us know how you get on with your scan tool
2006 Jeep that would sometimes activate ABS when coming to a stop (on dry pavement) and every once in awhile, ABS light would come on. Scan tool showed 2 codes for RR ABS sensor. All wiring/connections have been inspected, so ordered a new sensor from RA last night!

I bought an Ancel 610 that has two way communication . it works on the ABS very well and lets you cycle each valve and see the result. Got it on Amazon for little over $100.

Back