A/T fluid for GM 4L60E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I made a thread in the engine lubes section for the motor, but I want to change the trans fluid as well. What I have is a 2WD 4l60e out of an '04 Buick Raineer thats being swapped into my Volvo 960 wagon (along with the matching aluminum block 5.3 from that same Raineer). They're currently sitting on the floor of my garage. Junkyard claimed 77k miles on both, and the fluid in the trans when I pulled the dipstick looks good, fairly clean, still very red.

First off, what is the recommended fluid for this transmission, and what is the pan capacity? I got the trans with the factory trans cooler lines. Is there a thermostat in-line somewhere in the trans for the cooler lines, or does it rely on the stock cooler ebing part of the radiator to help bring the trans up to temp as well? Reason I ask is that I'm planning on running an aftermarket cooler, but curious if I should be running thru the stock radiator cooler as well? Perhaps come out of the trans, cool thru the aftermarket, then 'temp condition' thru the radiator cooler before going back into the transmission?

Any dex 6 will work great, the stock cooler is in the rad with no thermostat....if you are going to install an aftermarket cooler you can use the stock setup inline with the new cooler or not it's you're choice

Well, I do alot of short-trip driving. I live 4.5 miles from work. Thats one of the biggest reasons I ask. It gets highway driven probably at least once a week, but with the short-trip driving, I was curious if an external cooler was going to hurt and keep the fluid from even getting anywhere near temp without a thermostat.

In 4.5 miles your radiator is unlikely to warm up enough to warm up the ATF. I would still have the fluid go through the aux cooler then the rad cooler like you were thinking for the benefit of your longer drives.

Sounds like a nice car in the making.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys. Tried searching thru the UOA's and VOA's, but I can't seem to find much info on this Dex VI yet. Is there anything preferred? Any additives that're recommended, like Lubeguard or anything?

I think there's still a sale on Castrol Dex VI at Advance where you can use a $20 off $50 coupon buying online. $50 will get you a filter kit and nearly a dozen quarts.

There isn't much difference from one DexVI to another.

Excellent drivetrain you selected sir.

Expect long life with Dex III or Dex VI. The stock pan should hold about 4 quarts. But I'd drop the pan, change the filter, and then flush the whole trans with a passive exchange.

Unless you're towing or really whipping it the factory cooler is more than adequate. Make sure the thermostat is fairly hot if you're a short tripper.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Excellent drivetrain you selected sir.

Expect long life with Dex III or Dex VI. The stock pan should hold about 4 quarts. But I'd drop the pan, change the filter, and then flush the whole trans with a passive exchange.

Unless you're towing or really whipping it the factory cooler is more than adequate. Make sure the thermostat is fairly hot if you're a short tripper.

Thanks! I currently have the factory volvo trans plumbed first into a stock bar & plate cooler from a Ford Exploder, then thru the factory radiator cooler. By keep the thermostat high, do you mean the engine coolant thermostat? I'll keep that stock, the ONLY mods I plan on doing to the engine are a cam, since the motor is on a stand now and I DON'T want to pull it again later, and obviously headers to make it fit, along with a true dual, x-piped exhaust. The factory Volvo 960 radiator is HUGE, bigger than 'vette radiators by far (and bigger than most any other Volvo radiator even), and I'll be using the stock Volvo electric fan.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
Anythign that's labled dex 6 is the same as the next dex6

Thanks guys, I'll still probably stick to a brand name like Castrol or something, but I won't worry about anything too expensive for it then.

Well, I'm getting close to fitting the trans, and am starting to look for fluids. Apparently, the spec for this transmission is ACTUALLY DEX III. Should I stick to DEX III, or is DEX VI a better alternative? Starting to get confused now......

Also, I THINK I found the p/n for genuine GM DEX III 19286293 - $3.79/quart. Does that seem right? Even if, would I be better served witha factory fluid, or something from the aftermarket??

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-19286293.html

Yes, your 04 tranny was spec'd for DexIII( could have even been DexIIIH ). Dex VI is the replacement( 06+ )and covers earlier Dex fluids. You can run a Dex VI specific fluid, run a Dex III specific fluid, or run a multi purpose tranny fluid that covers Dex III. ANY of those will work.

They wiill all work just fine. Don't lose sleep over which ever fluid you use nor the decision on which to use. Use whatever is easier to find near you.

I have 3 vehicles with 4L60E Transmissions and run DexVI in all of them and they love it...DexVI is twice as good as DexIII in almost every test performed comparing the two. Drop the pan and change filter and install a B&M drain plug, make sure you use a rubber gasket. It will take 4qts to fill it up.

Then do a line flush with 11qts...you will probably never have to change the filter again as they are nothing more than a screen to keep big chunks of things from going through the valve body. Normal usage drain the pan with your new drain plug every 60k and fill with 4 new qts, severe usage such as off roading, racing, ect, I would drain it every 30k.

No need to ad anything like lubegard to DexVI, that would actually probably be a downgrade/contaminate to the fluid it's self!

Stay away from DexIII GM pulled the license on DexIII so people can actually sell you brake fluid and call it DexIII, you don't know what you will be getting!

Originally Posted By: disturban

Stay away from DexIII GM pulled the license on DexIII so people can actually sell you brake fluid and call it DexIII, you don't know what you will be getting!

I hear/read this kind of stuff a lot and sorry but I have to cry a big pile of bullpuckey on that. Claiming a fluid meets a spec when it in fact does not, or even worse it isn't even the right kind of fluid as in your scenario, would leave them open to law suits left and right. If the bottle says DexIII you can rest assured that it is safe to use in a vehicle calling for DexIII.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Can anybody comment on the GM part number I listed though?

It is a valid GM fluid part # but I can't find a description of what it is. How did you come up with it? The p/qt price is ok but don't forget shipping. Shipping is nuts these days.

I think you are worrying a little too much over this. Not meant offensive just as friendly advice. Your vehicle is spec'd for DexIII so you can use a DexIII rated fluid. That can be a DexIII specific fluid or one of the universal/multi vehicle fluids that list DexIII. As long as it lists DexIII you are fine. No mfg is going to say their fluid will work with that rating if it doesn't. To say otherwise is paranoia to the highest degree.

You can also use a DexVI fluid. GM replaced DexIII in 2006 with DexVI. It is back spec'd to replace DexIII. There are a few instances where DexVI is not recommended to replace an older Dex fluid but your vehicle with the 4L60E can run DexVI just fine.

You will be 100% fine with DexIII or Dex VI. Either one will work. Don't sweat it. Find a fluid you feel is a good deal and use it. You have many options available to you. I would simply stay with a name brand. I wouldn't use Uncle Bucks magic tranny fluid but Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc... all will be ok.

FWIW, I just got off the phone with a dealers parts dept., and they said it specs Dex VI for this transmission as well.

Originally Posted By: KenO
FWIW, I just got off the phone with a dealers parts dept., and they said it specs Dex VI for this transmission as well.

Yes, because DexVI is now the fluid GM uses. It has been back spec'd to replace DexIII. DexVI was not developed until 2005 and was introduced for use starting with 2006 model vehicles so your 2004 tranny was not originally spec'd for it. It was spec'd for DexIII. DexVI wasn't even being sold until mid 2005.

Quote:
GM Introduces New Automatic Transmission Fluid For 2006 Cars and Trucks:
* New factory-fill fluid standard in all 2006 MY Hydra-Matic transmissions
* Significantly improved viscosity, shift performance and fluid durability
* Available through GM Vehicle Care products as DEXRON®-VI
* Approved for service application on all prior model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions

Pontiac, Mich. - GM, in conjunction with Petro-Canada and Afton Chemical Corporation, have developed a new, improved automatic transmission fluid for all 2006 model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions. Developed for factory-fill as RDL-3434 and registered for service fill as DEXRON®-VI, the new fluid represents a significant improvement in automatic transmission fluids and is the direct result of GM's industry leadership in the development and production of automatic transmissions.

DEXRON®-VI will be available through genuine GM Vehicle Care products at GM authorized dealerships and service centers in Summer 2005.

As I have said and some others have your tranny was spec'd for DexIII. You can run DexVI in it however. This is not such a complicated matter. Either fluid will work. Don't over think it and worry about it so much. The 4L60E is not overly picky on tranny fluid. You can run a DexIII specific fluid, a DexVI specific fluid, or use a universal fluid that spec's one or both of those.

This is right out of the 04 Buick Raineer's owner's manual...

Recommended Fluids and Lubricants
Page 6-12

Image2.jpg

Last edited:
The piece that's missing here is the confusion of timing when DEXRON-VI was developed and when it was released. The development started in 2001 the release was April 2005. The intervening period is the time that it takes for any lubricant to complete proof of performance testing in a wide variety of applications. (Including the 4L60E).

Dexron-III does not exist and in fact many of those products that claim Dexron-III are not the most recent originally approved formulations so they could be anything. Will your transmission fail if you use one? Try proving it and good luck with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back