A Review of Engine Oil Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have torn down the engine and have done ring and bearing measurements and microscopy and your results are null?
After 12 years of use and a flawless running 4 cylinder engine there is no need for doing so. I took the camshaft off the engine (VW 4 cylinder) last year to replace the valve stem seals cause it leaked oil towards the compression chambers and it started to show a lot of blue smoke on a cold start. The parts i had in my hands and just by looking at it there was no need for microscopy research. No sludge and all parts looked very clean. After the seals had been changed last year the engine hasn't been using oil (still) and there are now 495.000+ km on this engine total and 200.000+ km since 2012 including the additive.

On my 1969 430ci V8 i did the same job (replaced the seals) and in this engine i have been using the same additive for 18 years.

I've read Amsoil did a test with Dura Lube, Motorkote and Prolong. A cummings engine was involved which failed at a 195.000 miles and they found 11.000 ppm of CP in the oil. Amsoil wrote that aftermarket additives are not compatible with their engine oils. These are well balanced high detergent oils, i'm guessing that the additives weren't a good marriage and that's what probably caused the corrosion attack to the cam followers? Also ZDDP additives can differ. There are different types of zinc available. This example of an engine failure is an accident on it's own. The additive i am using seems to work great with a simple mineral oil without problems.

I've read Amsoil did a test with Dura Lube, Motorkote and Prolong. A cummings engine was involved which failed at a 195.000 miles and they found 11.000 ppm of CP in the oil. Amsoil wrote that aftermarket additives are not compatible with their engine oils. These are well balanced high detergent oils, i'm guessing that the additives weren't a good marriage and that's what probably caused the corrosion attack to the cam followers? Also ZDDP additives can differ. There are different types of zinc available. This example of an engine failure is an accident on it's own. The additive i am using seems to work great with a simple mineral oil without problems.
So what's the additive you're using? Bring it out please. You keep beating around the bush in this thread, isn't it time to name something?

Reactions: hrv
So what's the additive you're using? Bring it out please. You keep beating around the bush in this thread, isn't it time to name something?
I told you i am not here selling this additive. I will tell you this: i add 3% to a liter of mineral oil.

Ahh okay. By that i meant the Chlorinated Olefin is not hurting the engine. The additive seems well balanced. At least this is my experience with it for a long time.

Last edited:
Got a link to that article?

“I’ve read” is tantamount to rumor. Without a link, it’s just hearsay. “I’ve read” so many absolutely ridiculous posts on the internet, that I won’t repeat them, because repeating them just gives credence to the garbage.

Ahh okay. By that i meant the Chlorinated Olefin is not hurting the engine. The additive seems well balanced. At least this is my experience with it for a long time.
“Not hurting” based on what?

Actual measurement of disassembled parts? Because that actual, empirical, determination of wear is the only real way to make that claim.

The chlorine molecule is very reactive and when the chlorine atom disassociates from any buffer chemistry it can become very reactive toward all metals causing corrosion.
Is MolaKule incorrect?

Got a link to that article?

“I’ve read” is tantamount to rumor. Without a link, it’s just hearsay. “I’ve read” so many absolutely ridiculous posts on the internet, that I won’t repeat them, because repeating them just gives credence to the garbage.
Yes, that's absolutely true.
Here's the link;

Yes, that's absolutely true.
Here's the link;

Interesting - seems that the essential point of the article is that chlorinated additives break down under high heat, and that the free chlorine forms reactive compounds, like HCL, that lead to corrosion in the engine.

Exactly what @MolaKule was saying.

Further, products like Motorcote and DuraLube contain chlorinated compounds, despite claims to the contrary.

And that chlorine reaction was what led to the failures in the examined Cummins engine.

Is MolaKule incorrect?
I don't know MolaKule. I don't know MolaKule's live experiences with the additive i've been using for around 25 years in different engine's. I prefer live experiences with this additive over theoritcal ones.

I installed every gas saving device that JC Whitney sells and now I have to drain a gallon of gas from the tank each night so it does not overflow.... :ROFLMAO:

Interesting - seems that the essential point of the article is that chlorinated additives break down under high heat, and that the free chlorine forms reactive compounds, like HCL, that lead to corrosion in the engine.

Exactly what @MolaKule was saying.

Further, products like Motorcote and DuraLube contain chlorinated compounds, despite claims to the contrary.

And that chlorine reaction was what led to the failures in the examined Cummins engine.
The additive i'm using holds up to 315 degrees celsius. It's been used in way more high heat situations than my vehicles engines have ever seen. The Amsoil test doesn't prove me a situation with a different oil and additive. It's an example by Amsoil and an additive used by them i've never used. I go with my experience and the additive i've mentioned.

I don't know MolaKule. I don't know MolaKule's live experiences with the additive i've been using for around 25 years in different engine's. I prefer live experiences with this additive over theoritcal ones.
So how are you measuring this live experience? No failures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back