A question about transmission fluid maintenance

So the volume doesn't change. If you drain hot and measure hot, and put the same amount of cold fluid in, you will be putting in more.

You can drain a gallon hot and watch it shrink as it cools.
I go one step further……..I drain the vehicle cold after sitting overnight with the Fluid jugs sitting next to the vehicle so both fluids ambient temperatures are equal.
Excessive, maybe…….it’s just what I do!😎

I go one step further……..I drain the vehicle cold after sitting overnight with the Fluid jugs sitting next to the vehicle so both fluids ambient temperatures are equal.
Excessive, maybe…….it’s just what I do!😎
Not excessive IMO ... a good technique for the DIY person.

I think the OPs plan is solid, and what I plan to do on a regular basis for my vehicles. Transmissions are very expensive and a necessary component to the longevity of any vehicle. Fluids are extremely cheap and pretty easy to drain and fill, especially with a drain plug. If they don't have a drain plug but a ATF dipstick, a Mityvac might answer that ticket too. Heck you might not even have to mess with a drain plug at all. Should do a filter swap at least ever 100k or so.

Transmissions = $5000
A regular drain and fill of 3L of ATF = $15.
Lets say, done annually every 10k on a car, for 30 years. ATF fluid cost would be $15x30 or $450.

Probably will triple or quadruple the life of the transmission IMO, allowing a 150k mile car to go 400k on the transmission.

It's a great idea. But like posted doing this once every 25k miles is more than enough. Most don't do it at all and wonder why they have issues.

I've been doing that with a friend's '08 mazda 3 for years. 3.5 qts out. 3.5 qts in. Maybe excessive but cheaper than a trans.

To avoid the cold vs hot transmission fluid I have a solution. I measure the weight of the transmission fluid with a kitchen digital scale and replace the same weight. 1. Weigh the drain pan empty 2. Weigh the pan with the drained fluid. 3. Difference is the weight of the fluid. 4. Place transfer container on scale and tare it. 5. Pour new fluid into transfer container until you have the correct weight (If you use a funnel, don't forget it has weight too). 5. Pour or pump fluid into transmission.
Digital kitchen scales are cheap, and well worth the investment for many purposes.

I'm doing 30K mile drain/fill and changing both pan and exterior cartridge filter every 30K miles on my Nissan CVT. When the car hits 90K I'll probably do about 3 drain/fills beteen 90-100K and change the filters on the last of the series. I've read of some people doing it from the top side and just vac out about 2 quarts every oil change and refresh those 2 qts. with new fluid. I feel better knowing both filters are replaced and clean when I do the job.

True. But someone has already serviced this one. No guarantees that the fluid level is correct.
The person who serviced the xmission is a well-regarded tech with years of experience working on Toyota (and other) transmissions. His shop is the one that other shops refer to, and he'd be doing all subsequent work. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I'm unable to tackle the job myself.

The person who serviced the xmission is a well-regarded tech with years of experience working on Toyota (and other) transmissions. His shop is the one that other shops refer to, and he'd be doing all subsequent work. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, I'm unable to tackle the job myself.
From my experience that is no guarantee of a proper trans service.

From my experience that is no guarantee of a proper trans service.
From my experience, knowing the guy and the shop, and living in the area for more than 50 years, it's just fine. You do things your way, I'll do them mine, and we'll both be happy.

I think the OPs plan is solid, and what I plan to do on a regular basis for my vehicles. Transmissions are very expensive and a necessary component to the longevity of any vehicle. Fluids are extremely cheap and pretty easy to drain and fill, especially with a drain plug. If they don't have a drain plug but a ATF dipstick, a Mityvac might answer that ticket too. Heck you might not even have to mess with a drain plug at all. Should do a filter swap at least ever 100k or so.

Transmissions = $5000
A regular drain and fill of 3L of ATF = $15.
Lets say, done annually every 10k on a car, for 30 years. ATF fluid cost would be $15x30 or $450.

Probably will triple or quadruple the life of the transmission IMO, allowing a 150k mile car to go 400k on the transmission.
Absolutely. It is beyond me how Toyota/Lexus can claim lifetime transmission fluid. Or anyone who subscribes to that idea.
Heck, even Asin recommends a service interval.
After a service, the transmission always seems to pull better. Maybe it's in my head, but just the same...

When doing the first drain and fill I like to take the time and make sure its at the proper level, but after that measuring what comes out and refilling the same amount is a lot faster.

I drain it warm/hot and let it drain overnight and have the new oil sitting on the floor next to the drain pan so I don't have to worry about temp difference.

When doing the first drain and fill I like to take the time and make sure its at the proper level, but after that measuring what comes out and refilling the same amount is a lot faster.

I drain it warm/hot and let it drain overnight and have the new oil sitting on the floor next to the drain pan so I don't have to worry about temp difference.

I also measure it and get it precise the first time, checking and rechecking sometimes for a few different days and recording the level. Then, when I'm done, like you I carefully measure what comes out and replace it.

If you have multiple drivers in the home or only 1 car, be careful leaving the fluids out overnight. An emergency or forgetful person might cause the car to be driven on low fluid. I recall hearing a story from a guy on one of these forums who drained out the motor oil overnight and his wife got up early and drove the car with no oil. It was not a happy result.

Absolutely. It is beyond me how Toyota/Lexus can claim lifetime transmission fluid. Or anyone who subscribes to that idea.
Heck, even Asin recommends a service interval.
After a service, the transmission always seems to pull better. Maybe it's in my head, but just the same...
An inspection of the maintenance schedule of many Toyota vehicles reveals that there is a 100,000 km (60,000 miles) replacement interval if the vehicle is used on short trips, city driving, hauling heavy loads, trailer towing, or using a car-top hauler. Check your own maintenance schedule for your vehicle's requirements.

My maintenance manual states that transmission fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles for severe use, and if I recall correctly, it also says fluid should be inspected every 30,000 miles, although I may be confusing that point with a different situation.

Back