A preppers tale

Messages
5,916
Location
Waterloo, ON
Friend of mine bought out his bosses business back in the late 80's. Guy was in his late 50's and had done well over the years. He was convinced society would at sometime break down, and it would become every man for himself. He bought 100 acres,45 mins outside of town, with house and driving shed. He had diesel generators, wood stoves, guns and traps for a trap line etc. I assume he had a good life there. I heard he recently died at 92, never living long enough to see what he feared. Just thought I'd share the story
 
Messages
4,102
Location
Kansas
Lived in Wyoming and I can say those people know how to fend for themselves.If anything it shows how resourceful people can get. Dad always wanted us to be able to take care of ourselves,be upstanding citizens and have conservative principles. Preppers are a weird group of ducks; this forum has a hoarding mentality also. I dont hoard but I am good to the individual who does as I might have to call in a due if something happened. He lived to be 92 and had lots of stuff,pretty cool! thumbsup
 

Ws6

Messages
3,078
Location
South Central US
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Friend of mine bought out his bosses business back in the late 80's. Guy was in his late 50's and had done well over the years. He was convinced society would at sometime break down, and it would become every man for himself. He bought 100 acres,45 mins outside of town, with house and driving shed. He had diesel generators, wood stoves, guns and traps for a trap line etc. I assume he had a good life there. I heard he recently died at 92, never living long enough to see what he feared. Just thought I'd share the story
Or maybe he lived a long time away from what he disliked. I myself live in the middle of nowhere with solar panels, a generator, etc, and it's not necessarily about the end of the world.
 
Messages
1,330
Location
Washington for now
all he was doing is self insuring. like any other insurance you hope you never need it ,but when you do you are happy you have it. nothing wrong about being prepared
 

Ws6

Messages
3,078
Location
South Central US
Originally Posted by WhyMe
all he was doing is self insuring. like any other insurance you hope you never need it ,but when you do you are happy you have it. nothing wrong about being prepared
It's also a hobby, and further, nice to be away from people. I live somewhat similarly, and hope that my preparation is never needed, but I enjoy being away from people and the city and suburbs.
 

Bluestream

Thread starter
Messages
5,916
Location
Waterloo, ON
Originally Posted by WhyMe
all he was doing is self insuring. like any other insurance you hope you never need it ,but when you do you are happy you have it. nothing wrong about being prepared
You may be right, he lived not in fear, but prepared. Ironically we may be closer today to crisis than ever. Nothing wrong with being self sufficient.
 
Messages
655
Location
Hill Country TX
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Friend of mine bought out his bosses business back in the late 80's. Guy was in his late 50's and had done well over the years. He was convinced society would at sometime break down, and it would become every man for himself. He bought 100 acres,45 mins outside of town, with house and driving shed. He had diesel generators, wood stoves, guns and traps for a trap line etc. I assume he had a good life there. I heard he recently died at 92, never living long enough to see what he feared. Just thought I'd share the story
Whats a driving shed?
 
Messages
14,496
Location
...
I have always had a supply of water and food available. I'm not hard core like a prepper but I like to be prepared in case disaster strikes. What I have found out after going through a few storms including Typhoon Haiyan and a 7.1 earthquake is that all that preparation put me in a position to help others.
 
Messages
35,860
Location
ME
A generator makes noise in a quiet town. Great way to attract attention. It's good for comforts during the first couple days of a catastrophe, before everyone else gets hungry enough to riot. Good preppers garden and can. Are emotionally ready to separate from friends and family who will want "in" at the 11th hour. Keep their stashes secret. Stay in good physical shape. Can sit still without getting bored. Etc. "Living off the land" doesn't always mean shooting a deer. Sometimes it means taking from weaker humans. This guy's estate sale would be swell. thumbsup
 
Messages
10,004
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by Ws6
I myself live in the middle of nowhere with solar panels, a generator, etc, and it's not necessarily about the end of the world.
Same here. I don't like to rely on others.
Originally Posted by WhyMe
all he was doing is self insuring.... like any other insurance you hope you never need it, but when you do you are happy you have it. nothing wrong about being prepared
Agreed. More people should be thinking ahead, honestly. Nothing wrong with being prepared to handle a disaster.
 
Messages
10,004
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by eljefino
This guy's estate sale would be swell. thumbsup
Indeed! A good Opportunity for others now - - after he has passed.
 

Bluestream

Thread starter
Messages
5,916
Location
Waterloo, ON
Originally Posted by FADEC
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Friend of mine bought out his bosses business back in the late 80's. Guy was in his late 50's and had done well over the years. He was convinced society would at sometime break down, and it would become every man for himself. He bought 100 acres,45 mins outside of town, with house and driving shed. He had diesel generators, wood stoves, guns and traps for a trap line etc. I assume he had a good life there. I heard he recently died at 92, never living long enough to see what he feared. Just thought I'd share the story
Whats a driving shed?
Its like an equipment shed.
 
Messages
16,717
Location
NH
Well, he might have been wrong, but did he do what made him happy? and did he bother people around him or his family? Might have been a weird "hobby" but I can think of worse things people have pursued.
 
Messages
8,972
Location
MA
Not too surprised. Lots of people also went through the great depression and that also affected their thinking. They always ended up thinking the next great depression was right around the corner but it never happened again during their lifetime. Probably lots of people who went through World War II thought that World War 3 was right around the corner too. Seems much less likely these days than in the past.
 

Ws6

Messages
3,078
Location
South Central US
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Not too surprised. Lots of people also went through the great depression and that also affected their thinking. They always ended up thinking the next great depression was right around the corner but it never happened again during their lifetime. Probably lots of people who went through World War II thought that World War 3 was right around the corner too. Seems much less likely these days than in the past.
My Oma did not trust banks. Living in Germany during WWII and seeing that money get tied up...they weren't much for banks after that. Realistically, looking at the data, the world is unnaturally at peace right now. It is more logical to fear WW3 than it is to not.
 
Messages
8,972
Location
MA
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Not too surprised. Lots of people also went through the great depression and that also affected their thinking. They always ended up thinking the next great depression was right around the corner but it never happened again during their lifetime. Probably lots of people who went through World War II thought that World War 3 was right around the corner too. Seems much less likely these days than in the past.
My Oma did not trust banks. Living in Germany during WWII and seeing that money get tied up...they weren't much for banks after that. Realistically, looking at the data, the world is unnaturally at peace right now. It is more logical to fear WW3 than it is to not.
I'm not sure if you understood my point. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
 
Top