A movie with a good story line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fried Green Tomatoes, Benny and Joon, The Flight of the Phoenix 1965, the remake not so much. @nd Hand Lions was a hoot. The Man Who Would be King was Caine and Connery. I saw One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest performed on stage. The film version paled compared to that. Just about anything with Clint Eastwood is worth watching

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Secondhand lions. The final line in the movie was outstanding!

Yes , great movie & funny too . :-0

Originally Posted By: Trotter
A couple I watched recently.
Bridge of Spies very well acted starring Tom Hanks.

Good Will Hunting outstanding performance by Robin Williams.

The television mini series Lonesome Dove.

It's not your fault.
smile.gif

I nominate Gattaca (1997, Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law.) The storyline is about the unbreakability of the human spirit, the good kind. PG-13 and no sex.. not even any foul language. An overlooked gem. This the first one that popped into my mind, and I re-watched it last week. Sad ending, somewhat, but masterful job at applying an adult and dark theme in the final seconds in a way that would not negate the whole movie, nor register fully with younger viewers, but would resound wildly with the now-adult audiences. You'll have to view it to understand my explanation there. 9.5/10 or 10/10 film.

Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
Emporer of the North starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine and Keith Carradine. Movie about a couple of depression-era hobos attempting to ride the train of a nasty railroad conductor.
An excellent film. Wish TCM would show more of those, but since Robert Osborn died, TCM has turned to [censored]. I don't know where they get some of that garbage or whey they show them. Just bovine excrement.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), with Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis, Mary Steenburgen, John C. Reilly

The Color Purple (1985), with Whoopi Goldberg, Danny Glover, Oprah Winfrey, Margaret Avery, Rae Dawn Chong .... My mom loved this movie ... One of my favorite movies

A couple of fairly recent ones:
Prisoners; Hugh Jackman plays the father of a kidnapped girl and Jake Gyllenhaal is the detective looking for them. I found it riveting.

[censored] or High Water ; Chris Pine and Ben Foster rob small West Texas banks to save the family farm. Jeff Bridges is the cop on their tale.

An oldie but goodie:
Reservoir Dogs ; Quentin Tarantino's first movie, a character and dialogue driven story about a robbery gone bad.

jeff

Originally Posted By: funflyer
The Butterfly Effect. I'm not a big fan of Ashton Kutcher but thought it was a great movie.

Yup. Liked it as well.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The Black Stallion is the best live action G-rated movie you'll ever see.

Them's fighting words
grin.gif
Babe is the best live action G-rated movie.

Quigley down under

My name is Nobody

OLD Science Fiction movies (anybody remembers Leslie Nielsen with not white hair?)

Any John Wayne western.
The Enemy Below.
Giant. ( This one is long. Also James Dean's last movie)
Quigley Down Under.
Broken Trail.
Open Range.
Shenandoah.
Enders Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back