A Chinese EV maker just revealed a 1,300 horsepower supercar

How much genuine engineering went into this vehicle and how much is it copied? I'd also like to see a crash test.

Yes, sorta. I am not sure I can buy a U9 in America; I wouldn't anyway. But you are right, the Roadster II is long delayed. Elon time... Tesla has been in rapid growth mode since 2018, building cars and factories.
This car will be the culmination of everything Tesla has learned in the past 10+ years. Perhaps we will see the Roadster later this year. If so, it promises to be amazing.

Here's another pic for you:
View attachment 206508
It is a great looking car, if it delivers as promised it will be an amazing car.

The look is kind of generic supercar, so pretty attractive.
This car is a clear statement that BYD intends to own a large piece of the EV market worldwide.
I wonder when the first made in Mexico examples will show up in Socal?
Next year?

How much genuine engineering went into this vehicle and how much is it copied? I'd also like to see a crash test.
If it sets records I don't know how much we could say is copied if another car hasn't done it before. I don't think this car is going to do that, but I will say the least of my concerns is the crash test. Every Tesla has topped the segment its in with crash safety standards.

BYD must have been listening to all this talk about electric supercars, this one also does a pretty good job of it without 10 cold rocket boosters.
Note I even posted a source more palatable for the comrades. The rear wing is a bit much but otherwise it looks good.

View attachment 206019
View attachment 206021
The front end and headlight design is straight up McLaren. The back ehh Alpine 110? Supposedly the new "gooseneck " rear wings are more efficient which seems odd hence their popularity in motorsports recently.

Fine line between copying or reverse engineering and working with what is common knowledge within an industry.
Vertical dis-integration has helped to make this more widespread since the suppliers end up having a lot of knowledge that they have every incentive to share.

Last edited:

It sounds like your stereotype of Chinese manufacturing may be a couple decades out of date. China is such a gigachad when it comes to batteries that Western car brands are having to license Chinese battery technology.

Another point to keep in mind is all car companies outsource some of their engineering.

They can simply hire the same companies that western car manufacturers use to engineer their components. Which is actually easier than trying to reverse engineer something.

For example Vladimir Putin's presidential limo has an engine engineered by Porsche and Bosch. Although in the future I suspect he will partner with Elon Musk and do more collaborations with him.

Back