Not open for further replies.
7700 miles in DFW area
90,000 total miles
50/50 Highway/City/Lots of traffic
1 qt. makeup oil
Motorcraft 820S
Oil Changed with same
Blackstone Labs

First UOA, Switched to M1 at 1000 miles. Engine has always used about .75 qt/5000 miles

This UOA/Averages (not sure how many miles the avg. refers to)

Aluminum.........5/4
Chromium.........1/1
Iron.............17/20
Copper...........6/7
Lead.............0/2
Tin..............0/0
Moly.............73/60
Nickel...........3/1
Silver...........0/0
Titanium.........0/0
Potassium........1/1
Boron............88/45
Silicon..........18/17
Sodium...........6/6
Calcium..........2905/2120
Magnesium........16/324
Phos.............688/764
Zinc.............771
Barium...........0/0 (edited)
SUS viscosity....64/59-65
Flashpoint.......375/>375
Fuel............. Antifreeze.......0/0
Water............0/0
Insolubles.......0.5%/
[ May 13, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: jscott ]

Great report in a great engine. Notice Mobil 1 stays in grade most of the time. Fe could be a tad high for some, but nothing to be concerned about. Also notice the constant sub 700ppm of P now being used. About a 1yr ago, most M1 reports showed 800-950ppm of P. This could be the reason for the higher Fe. I'd stay with this oil.

Great report! When did M1 start putting Barium in their engine oil? I could see useing it in a transmission fluid but why in an oil. I also have not seen any other UOA showing it in their oil either?

Regarding the Barium, that was a typo on my part. I have edited the original post to correct...

Pb, Cu and Fe are looking excellent. I tell you, these modular engines just don't wear. I wouldn't be too concerned with the iron, M1 has historically been higher than norm for iron. I agree with Buster, ZDP's are going south. I've been seeing that lately with all the M1 UOA's, but they are still getting pretty good wear numbers. I mean, even with hard pressed aluminum bearings, your wear is still coming in at under 1ppm per 1K. I've been in the Big D quiet a few times and that traffic will challenge any oil. Very nice report. I'm using 5W-30 in my 5.4, may switch over with the summer coming up.

I'd be happy with that report if it were my engine. You might be at the upper limit of this oil in this application though. The oil is almost starting to thicken out of grade, the flashpoint is starting down and you're almost at the limit of the insolubles. I don't think I'd push the oil much farther next time around. Did you get a TBN by any chance?
Might be time to change the air filter as well based on the silicon #.

[ May 14, 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: mdv ]

TBN = 2.8

I was hoping for 10k runs, but I am not sure based on the insolubles. I think a filter change midway would fix this, but if I am going to go that far, I will just change the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:
Try a 3oz dose of a-rx and I bet the insolubles comes down to .3 or so.....Its kinda like a liquid filter. it kept my 5k run down to .1

Is this the analysis you are speaking of ?

If so , there was no mention of the oil being spiked with an additive in the thread.......other than that little question made by myself
wink.gif

Analysis

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Try a 3oz dose of a-rx and I bet the insolubles comes down to .3 or so.....Its kinda like a liquid filter. it kept my 5k run down to .1

Is this the analysis you are speaking of ?

If so , there was no mention of the oil being spiked with an additive in the thread.......other than that little question made by myself
wink.gif

Analysis

Now, the truth comes out!! We knew that could not be straight M1.
tongue.gif

quote:

Why is that? Is it just improving the engine's performance or do you think it aggregates the insolubles so that they are caught by the filter?

rg144,

just restating what terry and others have mentioned about arx's liquid filtering ability. by no means am I an authority on oil chemistry. It just seemed to help my numbers a bit...

I speculated that there is some chelating effect to ARX. That is, it not only dislodges the deposits ..but also encapsulates them. This would seem appropriate since the dislodged material appears to pass through the engine without causing additional abrasive wear.

We used several agents in waste water treatment that do this. If we had high free copper in our efluent ..we would add the chelating agent (we called it copper killer = I think it was Metafloc by Betz). It would bond with the copper and be preciptitated out in the clarification process (ionically charged polymers that "flock" particles together and make them "heavy").

This "flocking" property could explain why the filter traps this stuff instead of just spinning it continually around in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back