97 Taurus sohc v6 Exxon Superflow 10w30 2200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW to this discussion, I did use a dino 10w30 later than I should have into a Minnesota winter. While the engine still started fine in below zero conditions (the wonders of modern fuel injection and engine management systems!) and didnt make any other "strange" noises for cold weather operations, the UOA showed pretty bad wear rates in Iron and Lead in particular. After switching to a dino 5w30 under similar conditions, the wear was decreased roughly in half.

I will agree with the idea that a synthetic oil is often overkill for the average motorist in cold conditions, but making adjustments from a 10w30 to a 5w30 or 0w30 does tend to have an effect on engine wear rates.

Also, as I pointed out before, if you take into account the wear here was from a short interval, the results are so so, and leave plenty of room for improvement.

I must admit id like to try Pennz LL 15w40 in the summer in this taurus, and I just might do it
shocked.gif

Alsoo the not so great but acceptable wear numbers could be coming from the elevated silicon and not the 10w in the 30.

[ May 15, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Santo Fontana ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back