9688 the one size fits all for asian cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
…. My beef with the shorty isn't the dirt carrying capacity at all, but it actually costs more than the longer one, whether I'm buying Wix, Hastings, or Baldwin
Reasonable beef, no reason for it to cost more. Here in States, ime price generally the same. Though I'm not a particular fan of downsizing with consolidation in the lube biz, I think it signifies what Jim Allen posted about holding capacity here , "the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed..."

All that said, I'd use the 7317 for the 6607 application where access permits, which is many. Same specs as the shorty with some added media area. Also admit using it mostly a feel good thing. Except for Wix/Napa Gold application where the 6607 equivalent(s) use nitrile adbv, 5/7356 uses silicone, same price here.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
All that said, I'd use the 7317 for the 6607 application where access permits, which is many. Same specs as the shorty with some added media area.

FYI, the media area comparison between the Ultra XG6607 and XG7317 is:

XG6607 = 56.25 sq-in
XG7317 = 71.25 sq-in (26.7% more media area)

XG6607 media area source: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-synthetic-xg6607-brand-new#Post3689755
(1.5" wide x 37.5" long = 56.25 sq-in)

XG7317 media area source: My filter cut opens and media measurements.
(2-3/8" wide x 30.0" long = 71.25 sq-in)

Not sure what the difference is for the EG and TG in 6607 and 7317 form. Could be somewhat different due to them not being full synthetic media.

Absolutely. I have no problem using the specified filter. It's just always more money, and, when looking at the Wix, "lesser" build quality with the nitrile ADBV. Even with the old spec, when Wix called for the 51365, with the 51356 being oversized, the oversized was still cheaper. I haven't looked that closely at the Frams at Canadian Tire to compare. You look at something like the Ultra, the price is much the same across the board. It's just the CT's baseline price is iffy to start with. When it comes to the Baldwin, it's hard to argue with around $4 for the oversized filter.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…. My beef with the shorty isn't the dirt carrying capacity at all, but it actually costs more than the longer one, whether I'm buying Wix, Hastings, or Baldwin
Reasonable beef, no reason for it to cost more. Here in States, ime price generally the same. Though I'm not a particular fan of downsizing with consolidation in the lube biz, I think it signifies what Jim Allen posted about holding capacity here , "the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed..."

All that said, I'd use the 7317 for the 6607 application where access permits, which is many. Same specs as the shorty with some added media area. Also admit using it mostly a feel good thing. Except for Wix/Napa Gold application where the 6607 equivalent(s) use nitrile adbv, 5/7356 uses silicone, same price here.

Price is no where near the same at times... Wix 57356 is $8.99.... the specd filter Wix 51358... $13.49.

The Carquest red filter for my car is $6.49... the 14610 Carquest red is $4.99.

These are just regular everyday prices. No sale prices obviously.

Last edited:
Points noted. As I don't use the Wix/NG 6607 equivalent(s) should have confirmed first. I was aware it uses nitrile as opposed to silicone adbv, and therefore more so pricing considered, imo makes the 5/7356 a no brainer choice imo if access permits.

Otoh, the Tough Guard and Ultra XG 6607 is the same price as TG and XG 7317 using WM pricing. Oddly imo, in the PH orange can the 6607 ~$1 more than 7317.

Yep... Strange that the Fram orange 6607 is a dollar more than the 7317... At Wally world. Yet the TG and Fultra are priced the same. Weird.

AAP and Carquest just dropped the price of the blue premium oil filter size 85358... It was $12.99 and now $8.99.. The Carquest blue filter was always $8.99 for the 84356 filter.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Price is no where near the same at times... Wix 57356 is $8.99.... the specd filter Wix 51358... $13.49.

That's a worse disparity than here. I think my 57356 is similar to what you paid; I'd have to check. The difference is closer to $3, I think. The Baldwin prices and price difference are much what you quoted for the red Carquests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back