93 Mercedes shifting hard when cold

Not sure if this is a problem but maybe there are ways to counteract that. It seems like temperature has a big impact on how the transmission shifts. It shifts quite hard when cold and then it keeps getting smoother. After sitting in traffic i almost can't feel the transmission shifting at all. I think the bodwen cable and the vacuum modulator are set properly but why does operating temperature has such a big role in the way the tranny shifts? I used Dexton IID (dino?) at the last fluid change but would a somewhat thinner, synthetic Dexron III change that?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a problem but maybe there are ways to counteract that. It seems like temperature has a big impact on how the transmission shifts. It shifts quite hard when cold and then it keeps getting smoother. After sitting in traffic i almost can't feel the transmission shifting at all. I think the bodwen cable and the vacuum modulator are set properly but why does operating temperature has such a big role in the way the tranny shifts? I used Dexton IID (dino?) at the last fluid change but would a somewhat thinner, synthetic Dexron III change that?
check the fluid level, it might be low

as the fluid heats up it expands

Ok, i'll probably drop everything again and take a look, maybe the new fluid had a cleaning effect and a new filter could help.

I used Amsoil Dex III equivalent on my 92 300D and the hard shifting when cold issue went away. I think the conventional oil just doesn't like the cold.
Do you have a synthetic fluid available to you?

I used Amsoil Dex III equivalent on my 92 300D and the hard shifting when cold issue went away. I think the conventional oil just doesn't like the cold.
Yes, i think they're available from every brand here. Hydraulic fluids are more expensive than before however and i will try to find a good deal.

My 1993 MB 400E shifted smoothly with Redline synthetic; I don't remember which type. As I recall, there is an access hole through which you can remove a small plug to drain the convertor too. The difficult part is lining up the drain plug and the access hole.

My 1993 MB 400E shifted smoothly with Redline synthetic; I don't remember which type. As I recall, there is an access hole through which you can remove a small plug to drain the convertor too. The difficult part is lining up the drain plug and the access hole.
Yes i will make sure to drain the torque converter too.
Are the vacuum hoses all in good shape?
Yep, no issues there.

Conventional fluid has been around many decades and there's never been a problem with the cold.

Conventional fluid has been around many decades and there's never been a problem with the cold.
Totally agree. Zero issues with any of my MB transmissions, from 81-93. Different variants. And the potentially more sensitive diesel ones.

You didn't own or drive my Mercedes.
No, my transmissions are in good condition and do not need a specific fluid type to function properly.

The factory fill fluid on your Mercedes was not synthetic and it worked fine back in 92.

Last edited:
What i'll do for now is drop the pan and replace the filter. I'll eventually switch to a synthetic Dexron III when weather gets colder but maybe that's just the way these trannies are.

What i'll do for now is drop the pan and replace the filter. I'll eventually switch to a synthetic Dexron III when weather gets colder but maybe that's just the way these trannies are.
I don’t see a need for synthetic. Regular Dex with lubeguard red works for mine.

I'm interested, what car is "yours"? :)
1981 240D
1982 300CD
1991 350SD
1991 300D
1993 300D
1993 300SD

Are my current collection. All are running straight D/M Dex IIi clone with Lubeguard red.
I did find some M1 ATF on clearance and have two quarts blended in on the 300CD.

Back