90’s Toyota Spare Parts for road trips?

On a car that old, I would also take an upper radiator hose.
it's the heater hoses too. Those will get ya' good. Maybe just go through the whole engine compartment, every filter. Every rubber hose.
Fresh battery or charge system check. No sense getting a tow bill for more than the van value.

Sounds like your adventure needs one of these----->
1629395805472.png

I’ve got a 90s Toyota Previa, which I would like to take on road trips with my Wife, for vacations. I need to prevent vacation ruining breakdowns that can otherwise be easily avoided.

1. spare Alternator
2. Alternator drive belt
3. Distributor cap and rotor
4. Coolant reservoir cap
5. Gallon of coolant.
6. Oil pan drain bolt and washer, and 5 quarts of emergency oil.

What else would you recommend? Thank you.
If I was worried about issues like above I'd just replace everything that was questionable before my trip.

Stop by your local Mechanic and have them go through the car and check for anything that looks iffy.
Get all the hoses and belts replaced under the hood including the coolant, if they're over five years old.
I'd have the thermostat also changed out if it's the original.
A spare set of low beam light bulbs are another item you might think about.
How old or how many miles are on the fluid in the transmission and rear end?
If you're worried about the alternator change it out before you leave on the trip.

If something breaks make sure it isn't something stupid that you could have prevented with routine maintenance.

Having a serpentine belt or hose go under the hood due to wear and age is unacceptable in my book.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 90s Toyota Previa, which I would like to take on road trips with my Wife, for vacations. I need to prevent vacation ruining breakdowns that can otherwise be easily avoided. For instance, if an accessory belt breaks for the alternator, the car would be rendered stuck, despite the fix being an easy repair. For an older vehicle like this, I am contemplating what parts I can bring on the road trips to fix break downs. Criteria for the list are:

1. easy to fix on the side of the road.
2. Parts are small and can fit in a plastic bin.
3. Failure of parts would lead to a breakdown.

so obviously a busted differential would not qualify, but an alternator would. If the engine goes bad, I will just junk the car, obviously.
my list so far:

1. spare Alternator
2. Alternator drive belt
3. Distributor cap and rotor
4. Coolant reservoir cap
5. Gallon of coolant.
6. Oil pan drain bolt and washer, and 5 quarts of emergency oil.

What else would you recommend? Thank you.
Igniter and coil, spark tester

Last edited:
The Previa has a shafted setup for accessories, it’s different than a typical engine. There is a belt on there. You might want to check it.

IMO an ounce of prevention (doing something in advance) is worth a pound of cure (repair on the side of the road).

Id be more concerned with the right tool kit…

Back