Vehicle: 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon, 2.3l SOHC 4-cyl, 5-speed
Oil analyzed: Pennzoil LL 15W-40
Drain Interval: 2 months / 3,000 miles.
Total Vehicle Miles: 145,000
Make-Up Oil: 0 qt
AC Delco PF-13 oil filter
OEM air filter
Sample date: June 2004

Vehicle driven 50/50 city/highway. Had trouble passing emissions until replaced catalytic converter. Took a very long trip (>12k miles) after this analysis was done (on fresh Pennzoil LL) and failed emissions again. I wonder if the diesel/fleet oil could have damaged the newly installed catalytic converter?

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 10
COPPER 5
LEAD 11
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 29
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 18
SILICON 10
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3311
MAGNESIUM 20
PHOSPHORUS 1091
ZINC 1310
BARIUM 0

SUS Visc. @210'F 77.3
Flash 375
Fuel Antifreeze 0.0% 0.0%
Water 0.0% 0.0%
Insolubles 0.5% 0.5%

vvk, Have you replaced the O2 sensor lately. At this mileage it would be a good bet that it's shot. The older Volvos wont set a code for an O2 sensor that is still functioning, but not adjusting quickly enough. They get sloppy in leaning out the fuel. The newer Volvos will set a code for about 2% out of range, but not the older ones. I had the same problem on a 92'

Apart from O2, might be the fuel regulator. You should be getting about 25 miles per US gallon + if everything is OK.

Originally posted by vvk:
[QB] Vehicle: 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon, 2.3l SOHC 4-cyl, 5-speed
Oil analyzed: Pennzoil LL 15W-40
Drain Interval: 2 months / 3,000 miles.
Total Vehicle Miles: 145,000
Make-Up Oil: 0 qt
AC Delco PF-13 oil filter
OEM air filter
Sample date: June 2004

Vehicle driven 50/50 city/highway. Had trouble passing emissions until replaced catalytic converter. Took a very long trip (>12k miles) after this analysis was done (on fresh Pennzoil LL) and failed emissions again. I wonder if the diesel/fleet oil could have damaged the newly installed catalytic converter?

... sigh ...

Pennzoil Long Life and no moly.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Oil Monkey:
Apart from O2, might be the fuel regulator. You should be getting about 25 miles per US gallon + if everything is OK.

I was getting 27-28 mpg in 50/50 driving. On my trip to Alaska I averaged close to 30 mpg with the car loaded to the max. So I figured my O2 sensor and the whole FI system were OK, since I would be getting far poorer fuel economy otherwise. Except for that stupid high NOx reading
frown.gif

High NOx after replacing the cat??

Is it running hot? Check your cooling system and ignition timing. You might also have carbon build up.

On the analysis, looks good but I think lead is higher than I would like. (Ping from high temps, advanced timing, carbon.....). 10W-30wt oils are giving lower lead in my 240 in the summer despite >245,000mi on my last analysis.

NOX is a function of he EGR ..or in my case timing, since the cam overlap is used for NOX control.

High NOx can also be caused by sulfur contamination of the cat converter. The sulfur comes from gasoline. The sulfur will reduce the effectiveness of the converter, but it is reversible.

To reverse the effects of sulfur, try this. First, you have to find low sulfur gasoline. Premium gasolines tend to be much lower in sulfur than regular gas. Amoco Premium is low sulfur in most parts of the country. Run a tank or 2 of Amoco Premium. Just before going to the inspection station, accerlerate at wide-open-throttle 10 times up to the legal speed limit. You can do this on an interstate entrance ramp. This will heat up the converter, and provide extra fuel to "burn" off the sulfur. Then go immediately to the inspection station. A hot converter works better than a cool one. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advise, you guys rock!
worshippy.gif

Just a little history. When I failed for high NOx initially I did a bunch of stuff. Flame trap, retarded ignition timing (made a big difference but not enough,) ran top end cleaner through the intake to remove carbon deposits, replaced timing belt/tentioner, adjusted valves, new plugs/rotor/cap. Thermostat is fairly recent and it does not run hot -- I removed the temperature compensating board, so I know the true temperature. Engine ran perfectly fine, I was getting around 28 mpg in 50/50 city/highway driving. I checked O2 sensor but did not replace because it checked out good. As soon as I replaced the cat (which was only $72 plus $40 install,) NOx went down drastically.

I would accept bad gas as the reason since I filled up in various secluded places in British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back