'88 7.3 idi resurrection

Had a friend say it feels like a big rig and makes a racket. I just smiled quietly.

I love this thing. It's small but very big. No need for a radio when you've got this engine to listen to. Sounds very good on the 5w40 synth.

How many gallons did you put in?
About six and a bit. The rad is smaller than the oem. Once I replaced the return lines it really responded well. Smooth now but I've got to find spare lines and order up some rebuilt Injectors while I still can. Time to start Sourcing and hoarding parts.

Last edited:
Nice truck!
It's a Sterling rear axle. I looked up your code.
C9 3.55 6250 FORD LIMITED SLIP 1987

Enjoy it. I'd love to find another idi diesel. I had an '83 Chevy 8' stake with a 6.2L. Awful acceleration, but a lot of character and was slow empty or full of oak, maple and ash.
I know this thing is a well geared puller and keeps the revs down on the scoot. Love it. Like I said, a time capsule I get to use. Still stunned.

Last edited:
As they age and the pump wears the timing retards.If it sounds deep and throaty @ idle the timing may be retarded. If so with the engine off loosen the 3 pump mounting bolts and looking at the original timing mark move the pump about 1/16 inch to the pass side and tighten the nuts.

20201003_184407.jpg

My first vehicle was an 88 F-250 ext cab 7.3 with the 3 speed auto. Top speed was 72 mph going downhill foot to the floor with a tail wind. Had a lot of good times in that truck including a road trip to San Antonio from northern IL 3 months after I turned 16. Eventually sold it and still saw it popping up occasionally around the area until 4-5 years ago. Had fun reading this thread.

Back