7HP B&S Engine NO SPARK

Make sure the clearance between the flywheel and ignition coil is correct. Back in the day, I think that a business card thickness worked o.k.. Also, is there any chance that the square key that locks the flywheel to shaft has sheared? Even a partial shear can sometimes cause no spark. Check those 2 things first, as well as the obvious possibility that the plug is dead or the plug wire is bad (maybe inside the boot).

If your coil looks like that, it is probably the correct one.

Along with the coil, get an NGK spark plug, or Autolite iridium.

Is that the part number that comes up on small engine websites if you put your specific engine model/code in? Pretty much everything after 1983-1984 when they switched to solid state ignition to whenever they stopped making flatheads should be compatible, the solid state coils should generally even fit older Briggs engines that used points and condenser that were the same horsepower/displacement.

Is that the part number that comes up on small engine websites if you put your specific engine model/code in? Pretty much everything after 1983-1984 when they switched to solid state ignition to whenever they stopped making flatheads should be compatible, the solid state coils should generally even fit older Briggs engines that used points and condenser that were the same horsepower/displacement.
Yes indeed

My tiller engine again! This time no spark at all that I detect.

I unhooked the kill circuits. No go.

I was kinda tired at that point in the day so I came in, cleaned up and ate.

So inside this 1988 beast, will this ignition/coil work?

New 796964 take off $7.50? plus 7.00 shipping
1681965524426.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Threw the new module in and MEGA SPARK. Runs pretty good, need to fine tune the crabby carbby

I tilled the area I was after, so back on schedule. Thanks everyone!!

Back