6L80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The Allison 1000 in my GMC has an external spin-on filter. I've changed it 3X in 80K miles, the 1st time @ 6k miles and the last time @ 60K miles when I changed the fluid to an approved TES 295.
The 8L90E in the CTS-V has additional lines to the diff for cooling in addition to the normal lines to the front of the car. No external filter is listed on the Delco site for either the 8L90E or new 10L80.
The 8L90E is 44 lbs. lighter than the 6L80E and more efficient, an option that will pay for itself in fuel savings.

That's great info, now, installing an inline filter with cooler will have any adverse effects on a 6L80>?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
How is the material on the bottom of the pan going to get to the remote filter without being trapped in the internal filter?
I think the solution, if there is a problem, is to install a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan.

THIS^^^^ Heavy metals & Friction material falls/settles on the bottom of the pan, Pulling the pan disturbs the sediment making the fluid condition look far worse than it really is.

IF GM/Hydramatic were to put a filter after the suction/sump filter.....The LAST place they would put it is in the cooler circuit....It would be in the Actuator Feed/Control Main circuit.

Ok same principle would work with engine oil, never have I seen an engine oil pan that looks like a transmission pan, covered in metal glitter. That tells me that an engine oil filter is catching those fine shavings vs trans filter letting it all flow through.

From what little research I have done, it looks like a cooler line is low pressure, separate circuit used to cool/lubricate certain components. I went ahead and ordered a manual for that trans, book has flow diagrams and explanation of how trans operates. Will let you guys know what I decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back