68 Corvette Restoration, part 1000000.01

Originally Posted by 4WD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ze949XZoTA

We used to go see John Kay at the Bodega in Campbell, CA.
The greatest rock singer ever. Period.
I guess you know he was blind. And so much energy in his voice. Being in a small club hearing him was off the charts.
He tore the place down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
It is amazing that is costs at least 10 times+ more to restore a car than it did to buy them new.

I am easily $50K into this car. Plus tons of labor. It is worth MAYBE $30K. Probably cost $3500 in 1968.
I bet Mark has $100K into his car. Plus his labor and untold hours in research and searching for parts.

$3500 was a lot more money then than it is now, of course.
The convertible MSRP was $4320; my car's options were the L36 427 for like $120 and AM/FM Stereo ($50 maybe). FM was new and FM Stereo was rare and expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by CT8
It is amazing that is costs at least 10 times+ more to restore a car than it did to buy them new.

I am easily $50K into this car. Plus tons of labor. It is worth MAYBE $30K. Probably cost $3500 in 1968.
I bet Mark has $100K into his car. Plus his labor and untold hours in research and searching for parts.

$3500 was a lot more money then than it is now, of course.
The convertible MSRP was $4320; my car's options were the L36 427 for like $120 and AM/FM Stereo ($50 maybe). FM was new and FM Stereo was rare and expensive.

I use to work next to Roy Brizio's shop and would go in to checkout the cars and he said his customers would write him a $100,00.00 Check and tell Roy if you need more Money just call me. Roy said you get 50 cents on the dollar when you sell if you are lucky.

Coupe base price was $4663 in '68. I thought $3500 was a bit on the low side. My dad bought a '68 Mercury Montego MX new, the sticker price was $36xx. He bought it for $3200.

Last edited:
Back