5w40 for winter use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Schaeffer 7000 20w50 racing oil in my 1200 Sportster and have been very pleased with it. With the 5k service due soon, I'd like to switch to an oil more appropriate for cold weather use as I intend to ride throughout the winter when possible. H-D specifies a 10w40 for use below 40 degrees F, and allows HDEOs, so I'm considering Schaeffer 9000 5w40 or Rotella Synthetic for their good cold-start advantages.

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Eh, I think that's pushing it. A 15w-40 Syn or maybe a 10w-40 would be better.

The Schaeffers 5W-40 or 15W-40 would both be fine. I doubt you would see much cold flow difference in temps you are able/willing to ride in. And I would personally stick with the Schaeffers for all year round just for the similarity in additive packages (continuity year-round). I acknowledge it certainly would not hurt anything to run the RTS as well just for the winter, and it is a very good oil.

On another note, I wish they would package their 5W-50 racing oil in quarts or gallons (now only in 5 gal pails). I think this would be another opt. for some apps like yours.

I'm not sure where Hartford is, but I know where Ohio is, and I doubt you're going to ride in weather cold enough to worry about the "5w vs. 15w" issue, any more than at what temp your extemities are going to get frost bite.

While I have ridden in sub-freezing temps and in snow (I was having to ride the Beartooth pass going into Yellowstone), it's not something you'll encounter with purpose on a daily basis in winter.

Overall, you could use either Schaeffers product. In fact, being an air-cooled engine, it's actually harder for the Harley's to come up to temp in cold weather versus a liquid cooled bike. In that regard, there can actually be more damage for the oil being too think and not up to temp. I would think the 5w-40 might be the best alternative.

Only real world thing I've noticed is the cold cranking. On some bikes that may crank hard or have a marginal battery/starter gear reduction/high compression/poor idle circuit tune/high volume pump eyc. Thick oil in the winter can make em hard to crank and start, though fine after warm. Thinner oil usually take care of it. Not ALL bikes have this effect though, I've run 20/50 of 15w40 year round in many bikes, but a couple that NEEDED a grade reduction even below 40f. So I'd say stay with what you got until it really does get cold and if you experience slow cold cranking then decide.

Off topic but related. A friend has a newer Husqvarna that spec's a 60w oil. With the factory lean jetting he was always cranking the battery down trying to get it started. Put some 10w40 in it was like night and day difference on a cold morning. Just few extra rpms during cranking made all the difference, maybe in spark output or just inertia in kepping the thing spinning when it does fire.

Last edited:
I use 5w/40 RTS in my Goldwing and Nighthawk year 'round. I've ridden at temps around 20F (thank goodness for heated grips and jackets!) and never had a problem with the bikes cranking over. Never noticed any unusual sounds either.

5w40? In a Harley engine? No way. Not for me. I would recommend a 15w40 HDEO. BTW, 20w50 does fine in NE Ohio for temps 40F>. If you plan on riding under 40F then a 15w is fine. Just let the bike warm up for 4-5 minutes before you ride away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
5w40? In a Harley engine? No way. Not for me. I would recommend a 15w40 HDEO. BTW, 20w50 does fine in NE Ohio for temps 40F>. If you plan on riding under 40F then a 15w is fine. Just let the bike warm up for 4-5 minutes before you ride away.

I agree.

I don't understand the logic of considering a 15w-40 ok, but not a 5w-40. The end result at full temp is a 40 grade (or there abouts).

A group III 5w-40 with a lot of VII (such as RTS) isn't going to be appreciably thicker/thinner than a group II/II+ HDEO 15w-40 at full operating temps. So why the oil biggotry? If anything, the 5w rating would be a benefit for the winter starts.

I really don't think a "synthetic" is absolutely required, but in this specific example (air cooled Harley in winter) I'd think it would actually be a preferred product. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

Air cooled engines have a more difficult time controlling their temps; they get "hotter" in summer and stuggle sometimes to come up to full temp in "colder" times. I would think the RTS would be a very good option for this specific application.

i agree with the rts. have used it in my bikes in winter (yes liquid cooled) and no issues.

any other time if the topic comes up every one says why not use a 5W, will get better cold flow properties etc... but here most are saying dont do that
21.gif

It's called film strength. When cold, a 15 weight will stay with the metal surfaces better than a 5 weight.

Wow! I thought this would be easy but you guys were all over the map on this one.
grin2.gif

So, I decided to go with Schaeffer Supreme Plus 7000 15w40 since it has a similar add pack to the oil I have been using. I will be posting a UOA for the Schaeffer 20w50 Racing Oil soon.

Thanks for all of your inputs!

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Good choice. Switching form the 705 to the 700 and back again should be seamless.

I think so too. I expect good results with both oils. I did notice far less consumption with the 20w50 Racing Oil compared to the factory fill H-D 360.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back