5w-30 Valvoline DuraBlend, 3084 miles on '03 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 2.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Hyundai
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 2.7L V6
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 3,084 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Valvoline DuraBlend 5W/30 (gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts
ADDITIONAL INFO: Napa Gold 1334 Filter

MIKE: High wear is a common find in new engines such as yours. The wear is high due to break-in of new parts. We found some fuel in this sample too, and that's also common in new engines. It's there because the rings haven't seated completely yet, but it should disappear with the next couple of oil changes. It has lowered the viscosity a little, but not enough to worry over. The TBN read 3.4, showing plenty of active additive remaining in the oil. Once you're past wear-in, we don't think you'll have any problems going longer on the oil. Check back to monitor.

Miles on Oil 3084
Total Miles 4797
Sample Date 12/08/03

Unit/Universal

Aluminum 3/5
Chromium 1/2
Iron 16/21
Copper 75/44
Lead 5/15
Tin 4/4
Moly 0/17
Nickle 0/0
Mang 0/1
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/1
Boron 0/10
Silicon 20/39
Sodium 12/53
Calcium 2121/1523
Magnes 10/276
Phosph 732/795
Zinc 881/930
Barium 3/2

Sus Visc@210 56-62 tested @ 53.8
Flashpoint >365 Tested @ 305
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles <.7 Tested @ .5

Given that its a new engine the numbers look pretty good. The oil did however drop down to a 20 wt. The silicon being high is probably from gaskets/sealants. Hopefully the copper will drop off. Looks like a GM engine
grin.gif
I take it
cheers.gif

Good guess Al. Gm holds a minority ownership in Hyundai(I think) and this 2.7L is of GM design..=) Not worried about this at all as I too guessed it would read like this. This car can use any oil SG/SH 5w-20 to 20W-50 depending on climate. All in all im pleased. I plan on doing Bi-annual UOA on this vehicle as well and my truck which I have already posted one.

I hope you'll be sticking to this oil for a while, as we don't see enough Valvoline reports.

Same with Quaker State.

Yes. I run valvoline exclusivly. Like I stated before, I think, I will be doing Bi-annual reports just to monitor the motors. Once each in spring and start of winter. Valvoline AC and Durablend are on the cheap side here.

I think this is an example of a poor dino oil. I would immediately try another oil. This is oil thinned to the max in just 3000 miles. Looks like the engine has a fuel problem or is used for short trips only. I would change to a good dino or synthetic immediately. Delo 400,Delvac 1300 or Amsoil,mobil 1. Just my .02 cents worth.

Well I do know this 2.7 is of GM design.

Tr3: na this is typical for only having 5k miles on the motor. Every motor goes through this. There is no fuel problem, however, it is used for alot of short trips. The town is only about 1 mile long and its only 3 miles to work. So we take it to town (140+ miles round trip) 1 or 2x a month. I'll be sticking with Valv Durablend 5w-30 in winter and 10W in summer. Looking at how good the TBN did under "new engine" situations leads me to believe that this oil should be fine for 5k+ miles once it's broke in. This is an engine that the OCI is 7500 under "normal" conditions. I don't even pretend however all the short trips are normal and realize I will not make it to 7500 under those situations.

These are excellent results for a new engine ....The copper/tin in that ratio would be from brass or bronze parts, perhaps cam bearings and/or a thrust bushing for the crank? Iron is already down to 5 ppm/1000 miles and Pb is < 2 ppm/1000 miles, so that's really good to see.

Hard to determine the max drain interval you can run, but I'd think that 5000-6000 miles would be fine, once you have over 10,000 total miles on the engine.

First off that is a 5w-20 AND that vehicle has 3k+ mile MORE then mine.. not to mention a different engine. This oil is doing it's job fine. I think people are over analyzing again. in another 3k miles my copper will be down as well.

Why not give Chevron/Havoline a shot in this engine? Durablend is twice the price and gives about the same OCI. Hyundai's seem to be easy on oil.

Didn't mean to sound snotty if I did, Starbreaker666. I just thought it was funny how diverse the comments were between our two UOAs, particularly how a bigger deal was made about my 2% fuel than your 3%, while my extremely low wear metals didn't seem very remarkable. I'm curious to see how much your copper goes down after another 3k miles. Please keep us posted.

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
Well I do know this 2.7 is of GM design.

Hi, Mike. I, too, own and drive a 2003 Sonata with the 2.7 liter "Delta" V-6 engine. (All of Hyundai's engines carry a Greek letter designation.) Two questions: At the time of your oil change, had there been any dipstick indication of oil usage? And, secondly, would you mind supplying the source for your belief that the "Delta" engine series was designed by General Motors? Everything I've previously read about the design phase of this engine family indicates that it's a totally in-house Hyundai design, with some engineering consulting through Mercedes Benz (who happens to own about a 10% equity stake in Hyundai by the way).

I posted a UOA on my use of ST 5W-30 at its second oil change at 3,000 miles (2,400 miles on the oil - wanted to get the factory leftovers out as soon as possible). Both of our UOAs showed shearing down of our respective 5W-30 brews to 20 weight, hot. (55.2 in my case) I intentionally chose 5W-30 as a break-in aid once past the first 600 miles counting on its lower viscosity to accelerate ring seating. That was the "plan". Whether the "reality" coincided is anyone's guess, but in any event this engine's never shown any oil use. My car's engine is now on a diet of 10W-30 at 3,000 mile OCIs and will remain so. I'm coming up on 9,000 miles and plan to submit another sample at that time (Chevron Supreme dino 10W-30). I'll be posting the results for the peanut gallery's learned dissection. By the way, the NAPA Silver 51626 or Gold 1626 oil filter is a LARGE substitute (about the same can size as a PH-8. I believe undummy determined from a web search that WIX lists a bypass opening pressure of 8-11 psi - same as the WIX 1334. (WIX makes the NAPA filters.) There is adequate physical clearance to mount that filter on the Sonata V-6 engines. With that larger filter it now takes exactly 5 quarts to fill to the top of the dipstick range. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back