5W-30 oil for a 1 year OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a true/full/real (pick whatever word you would like) synthetic. Basically I'm looking for an oil with either a PAO or POE base stock.

The two cars that the oil is for, both call for 5W-30 all year round, are a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL (3.1L V6) and a 1988 Mercury Topaz (2.3L I4).

At present the Oldsmobile has 5W-30 Mobil 1 in it, and the Mercury has 10W-30 (has to be changed out for the winter) Motomaster Formula 1 100% Synthetic (its the Canadian Tire store brand, and meets the Corvette spec).

The Mercury sees about 5,000 km (3,125 miles) a year, and the Oldsmobile sees about 10,000 km (6,250 miles) a year. The driving is a mix of both city and highway miles, with more city than highway (about 60/40 or 80/20).

I'm basically looking for a synthetic oil with a high TBN (8 or higher) and a strong additive package (I know that the SM oils have reworked the whole additive package and may or may not be weaker, UOAs will solve that question).

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
If you want to suggest any oil filters that are available in the Toronto area (and where to buy them) that would be good enough for a 1 year OCI that would also be welcome.

P.S.S.
Does any one know if the Motomaster Formula 1 100% Synthetic is a good oil for 1 year OCIs? I think its a group III, but I'm not sure.

AMSOIL'S ASL 5W30 will fit your needs nicely.

-

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL) delivers extraordinary lubrication in all types of automotive gasoline engines. By combining the industry premier synthetic technology with AMSOIL premium additives, AMSOIL ASL exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of higher horsepower, higher heat and complicated emission control systems. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil consistently outperforms competitive conventional and synthetic motor oils. It delivers long-lasting performance and protection.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

Extends Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil can extend drain intervals far beyond those recommended for conventional oils. Its unique synthetic formulation and long drain additive system are very stable, resisting oxidation and neutralizing acids. AMSOIL ASL delivers the best possible engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals, reducing vehicle maintenance and waste oil disposal costs.

Maximizes Fuel Economy
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is designed to maximize energy efficiency for improved fuel economy. Unlike conventional oils, its uniform molecular structure helps it flow more freely and reduce friction between metal surfaces. Anti-friction additives are included to further improve energy efficiency.

Reduces Engine Wear
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil provides outstanding anti-wear protection. It has excellent viscosity film strength to separate metal surfaces and robust anti-wear additives to further reduce wear in metal-to-metal contact regions for improved engine life.

Reduces Oil Consumption and Emissions
Evaporation (volatility) occurs when oil gets hot, causing high oil consumption and emissions. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil has the lowest evaporation rate of the oils tested, making it the best at controlling evaporationrelated oil consumption and emissions (see chart below).

Excels in Extreme Temperatures
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil resists thermal (heat) breakdown better than conventional oils. It is heavily fortified with detergent and dispersant additives to prevent sludge deposits and keep engines clean. And unlike conventional oils, AMSOIL ASL contains no wax. It stays fluid down to -60°F for improved cold temperature oil flow, reduced bearing wear and easier starting (see chart below).

-

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications:

API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...

ILSAC GF-4- 3 ...

ACEA A5/B5

JASO VTW

GM 4718M, 6094M

Ford WSS M2C929-A

Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
VW 503.00, 505.00

MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL ASL is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motor oils.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL oil filter at 12,500 miles or six months, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL oil filter at 15,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
• In all other applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

I'm not familiar with Motomaster oil as it's not available in the USA. Mobil1 or any other top synthetic will serve you well with annual OCIs given your usage. Another choice would be Esso XD3 0w30 synthetic, an excellent PAO oil from what I understand.

Mobil1 oil filters are well thought of, and so are Wix filters.

[ September 23, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: williar ]

welcome.gif

With the 3.1L V-6, I'd probably want to do a uoa before going extended drain intervals. I do use synthetics, but on the GM V-6's, I do an occassional uoa just to check for any potential coolant leaks.
cheers.gif

This really just expands on the last sentence in Don's post.

[ September 23, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-En...ubes/ImperialOilLubesDistributors-Ontario.pdf

Track down the nearest Esso bulk distributor, go in and ask for a case(or 2) of Esso XD3 0w30. It's around $4/L and it's a heavy duty 100% PAO synthetic. I use it year-round in my fleet of taxis and have nothing but praise for this oil. 1 year under your driving conditions should be a breeze. I recommend Napa Gold filters for extended OCI's because they have a synthetic media and a silicon anti-drainback valve that won't harden and leak. Any Napa store should have them as well as some smaller retailers. Price is excellent too at around $5 each.

I've owned a 88 Topaz in the past and currently have a 94 with a Taurs SHO engine in it. If you need help with maintenance or anything else, check out www.tempotopaz.com I'm an admin there with the same screen name.

The Motomaster stuff is on sale here now for $20/4L jug, but I don't think it's made for extended use. Synpower does have the A5 rating, and it's about $28 now at WalMart

Esso XD3 Extra, 0w30, PAO, full synthetic as mentioned above. Buy it by the case at your local Esso bulk plant. Forget about Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:
With mostly-city driving, would he not be better off with dino oil and a 6-month OCI?

worshippy.gif

Excellent thought!

Thats what I would be doing.

Cheers! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: No Comment about the ad in this thread..
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 would work well also.

Don't think it's showing up North of the border yet, for some reason.

Thank you to everyone who posted. After spending a few months reading the forums, what people have posted, and looking at VOAs and UOAs, I've decided that I'll be going with the Esso XD-3 0W-30. From a price point for a true synthetic and the level of performance it offers I am impressed.

I do have to admit that I am a bit bothered by the fact that it doesn't have any moly in it. But the UOAs speak for themselves and it does use a PAO base stock. Out of curiosity what do the experts think about adding Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment? I know an oil like this wouldn't need it, but what would be the benefits (if any) or possible negatives from using Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment with Esso XD-3 0W-30? I'll be honest, the reason why I am thinking of using VSOT is for the moly.

As for my number one choice if money wasn't an issue. I would have picked a POE based oil, like Red Line or Motul. They are great oils, but since I don't do any racing (do people even race a Topaz? LOL) and the price of PAO is a lot more reasonable that's the one I'm going with.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

P.S.
In the oil filter forum I posted a question about which filter to use for a 1 year OCI since I have my oil picked out now. You can find a link to there below. Any insights and information would be greatly appreciated.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002956

Vasili asked about adding SynPower to the Amsoil. I would like to know about LC (Lube control) as an additive to Amsoil (or any synthetic for that matter).

Will Amsoil or other synthetics protect a new engine (Honda V6 VTEC) for one year if most of the eight or nine thousand miles the vehicle will see in that time are trips of three or four miles at a time? Because such short trip, cold start driving is hard on oil, would even these synthetics be helped by LC in order to go a year OCI?

Martyi,

Repeat after me...
grin.gif

Good Dino or Dino blend with LC every 6 months and DON'T worry about it.

Simple, Safe, Easy and will protect and keep your warrenty in place for the 6 years.
cheers.gif

And you'll get the nice clean inside of the engine.

Really.. Forget the AD above, Terry has proven to me that LC is good and ANY good Dino will do you great!

Take care and ENJOY the new rig. bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: I'm DOING the same with my Dads New Honda Powered Vue. It has the SAME engine as your outfit and it's doing GREAT. His last OCI was at 4.5k with no problems. Great MPG, looking in the valve cover it's like new.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-En...ubes/ImperialOilLubesDistributors-Ontario.pdf

Track down the nearest Esso bulk distributor, go in and ask for a case(or 2) of Esso XD3 0w30. It's around $4/L and it's a heavy duty 100% PAO synthetic. I use it year-round in my fleet of taxis and have nothing but praise for this oil. 1 year under your driving conditions should be a breeze. I recommend Napa Gold filters for extended OCI's because they have a synthetic media and a silicon anti-drainback valve that won't harden and leak. Any Napa store should have them as well as some smaller retailers. Price is excellent too at around $5 each.

I've owned a 88 Topaz in the past and currently have a 94 with a Taurs SHO engine in it. If you need help with maintenance or anything else, check out www.tempotopaz.com I'm an admin there with the same screen name.

Listen the the man who knows and add nothing to a great oil. Enjoy your rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back