5w-20 vs 5w-30 in a 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a (brief) paper from some Hyundai engineers in their powertrain division, explaining why they are using thinner lubes.

http://www.its-iftomm2017.org/data/keynote(160520)-Hongwook%20Lee.pdf

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'm thinking about making the switch to a 0W-30 to get better flow at start up in mine.

Better flow? Really?

Yes.

Coldest temperature ever recorded IN Oklahoma is -31F (according the the internet)...are you starting your car regularly at those temps ?

Friction reduction in the engine is still a big area to improve
fuel economy of the vehicle, but in some cases such as low
viscosity oil and certain friction reduction technologies conflict
with the reliability of the engine.
For this reason, advanced
simulation tools and real-time measurement techniques have been
developed and are applied to reduce friction and to ensure the
engine’s reliability.

Well, thats now two companies (Hyundai and Ford) that are trying to walk back the thin oil mania that duped so many over the past decade!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Friction reduction in the engine is still a big area to improve
fuel economy of the vehicle, but in some cases such as low
viscosity oil and certain friction reduction technologies conflict
with the reliability of the engine.
For this reason, advanced
simulation tools and real-time measurement techniques have been
developed and are applied to reduce friction and to ensure the
engine’s reliability.

Well, thats now two companies (Hyundai and Ford) that are trying to walk back the thin oil mania that duped so many over the past decade!

That appears to be the case in some instances.

My son just bought a 2017 Elantra, non DI 2.0. We dumped the factory fill at 250 miles and put 5w-30 synpower in it, with an ultra filter and a magnetic drain plug i made.

May change it once more at 1k.

My 2013 now runs 5w30 year round, i did run some 5w20 in the winter only, as i got pp for $1 a quart years ago.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My son just bought a 2017 Elantra, non DI 2.0. We dumped the factory fill at 250 miles and put 5w-30 synpower in it, with an ultra filter and a magnetic drain plug i made.

May change it once more at 1k.

My 2013 now runs 5w30 year round, i did run some 5w20 in the winter only, as i got pp for $1 a quart years ago.

Dumping the FF early, a man after my own heart!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
Hey Dan when you are ready for 10-30, might I suggest QSUD 10-30---? Runs supremely quiet in my 2005 Accord--255K miles-- and no diff in fuel economy I could see.
Steve

Good advice! In my old 2001 Mazda 626 (2.5 V6) i ran lots of QS 10w30 (green bottle dino) and it was running great at 174,000 miles when a giant SUV ended its life. My Hyundai appears to have been factory filled with Shell/QuakerState Products and i anticipate i will continue that practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back