5W-20 in a 2013 Mustang GT? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This is straight from Ford:
*a 5W-20 viscosity oil, which Ford desired for its fuel economy benefits*.

This is also from Ford.
https://www.fleet.ford.comFFHwhy5W20Oil05_23_06.asp?News=Rental

"Why 5W20 Oil?
Some customers are reluctant to follow Ford's recommendation to use 5W-20 oil in their engines based on the incorrect assumption that Ford and other Auto Manufacturers only recommend 5W-20 oil in order to increase fuel economy. Using 5W-20 oil can increase fuel economy by about 6/10ths of a percent compared to 5W-30 and more if you are currently using a higher viscosity oil. This equates to an additional savings of 125 million gallons per year when used in all applicable Ford vehicles. Since its introduction in the 2001 MY, 5W-20 oils have saved up to 640 million gallons of gasoline in the U.S. or an equivalent 5.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life.

The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up.

Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil."

So although CAFE may play a part. I do not buy "lighter" provides less protection. Often "lighter" is only CAFE motivated. 5W-20 provides equal sometimes superior protection to other grades.

Interesting but are we to believe the EB3.5 which specs 30w and the Boss and Shelby that spec 50w oil are less protected? I think not. Its just my personal opinion but I think the 20w oil is fuel mileage motivated at the expense of durability long term. I dont have any scientific proof of this and I am not an oil guru.

I read a thread wrote by an ex Ford powertrain engineer that in a nut shell said he tested hundred of Ford V8 engines and tore them apart afterward. HIs conclusion was that 20w oil was speced by the bean counters and not the engineers and that 30w is the way to go. I will try to find his thread. I think the guy is an engineer now for Michael Waltrip racing.

I recall reading his article. IIRC he was also a disgruntled Ford employee and not very happy with them. So at least for me that plays into the equation as well. Ford has been using 20 grade oils for quite a while, I'm still not seeing them seized up littering the highways.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
CAFE is a real problem when you sell performance cars, especially an extremely high volume car like the Stang because CAFE is AVERAGED across the entire line up.

This is one of the many reasons why I hate the fact that so many people bought big and/or heavy cars in recent years. If everyone who bought an SUV for on-road non-towing use bought a wagon or minivan instead, I bet our sports cars could be fire-breathing gas guzzlers that spec SAE 70 oils, and we'd still be better off.

And our econoboxes would be even better because they wouldn't have to be crash-compatible with all the behemoths rolling around (pun intended).

And our roads would see less wear-and-tear.

But I digress...

Similar situation at Chrysler. The high volume 5.7 engines spec 20w and the low volume 6.4 engine with IDENTICAL fuel saving hardware specs a 40w. It's just "CYA" engineering as they must protect themselves from excessive warranty claims.

Is it? Or is it an acknowledgment that the bigger engine will generate higher oil temperatures?

Well, as you saw in the tech papers the Ford will retard timing, throttle, etc., as certain temps are reached. This in itself says something about the oil spec. And it's not unique to Ford, as almost any modern car will do the same, just not as likely in a less performance biased design. My point was about production volume influencing CAFE, thus influencing oil choice.

I am not an "anti 20w oil" guy, I regard it as an advancement of engine technology that can save fuel. But when they flat out tell you bluntly that oil temps rise precipitously at over 4500 rpm's they are giving out valuable info for some of us who will USE that coyote like it was meant to be used.

Note that Chryslers spec was based on oil temps. Both the 6.1 and 6.4 get the oil very hot in spirited driving. And they have seven quart sumps but no oil coolers.

I am not an "anti 20w oil" guy, I regard it as an advancement of engine technology that can save fuel. But when they flat out tell you bluntly that oil temps rise precipitously at over 4500 rpm's they are giving out valuable info for some of us who will USE that coyote like it was meant to be used.

It is nice to see someone else that still retains the ability for deductuve reasoning. I applaud you sir.

Quote:
20w oil is fuel mileage motivated at the expense of durability long term.

Is there any evidence of this?

Was that Ford engineer referring to flat tappet V8 Nascar engines?

What about a 5w20 with 1,000 ppm of ZDP?

As SteveSRT8 said,I`m not an anti-20W oil guy either,I just think it has it`s place. I`d have no problems at all using it in a Prius if I ever own one,but I`d never use it in a 400+ HP muscle car that will be driven as such. I just think it`s silly for a car company to try to squeeze as much gas mileage as they can out of a muscle car. If someone wants mileage,they should buy a hybrid economy car.

I really believe that in their heart the engineers at Ford probably feel a bit silly, too.

But the CAFE standards are not negotiable. And the fines are enormous.

So, do you actually know for a fact that they were running 5W20, or are you just assuming.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
OMG,just got back from 2 straight days of 90-degrees plus days of drag racing,countem 2 mustangs runnin 5w20,a 2010 mustang and the other,a 2013 mustang,both around 500-600hp,and man,their running that scary new spec of oil,called 5w20,I better tell'em to drop it tonight because it's gonna destroy these motors!!!!!!!! Some ya'll need to get a grip,seriously,not anything wrong with 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
So, do you actually know for a fact that they were running 5W20, or are you just assuming.

OMG,just got back from 2 straight days of 90-degrees plus days of drag racing,countem 2 mustangs runnin 5w20,a 2010 mustang and the other,a 2013 mustang,both around 500-600hp,and man,their running that scary new spec of oil,called 5w20,I better tell'em to drop it tonight because it's gonna destroy these motors!!!!!!!! Some ya'll need to get a grip,seriously,not anything wrong with 5w20.

I've been friends with these guys for years,helped work on their cars,drank beer with them,yeah,should answer your ? pretty easily.

Actually, it is deflecting the question. Yes, or no? 5W20 or not.

I've been friends with these guys for years,helped work on their cars,drank beer with them,yeah,should answer your ? pretty easily.

Actually, it is deflecting the question. Yes, or no? 5W20 or not.

Wow,figured you could figure it out from there,but yes,I've been in his garage when both owners have changed the oil,I've been at the track when they changed the oil,talked about tracked events,dyno sessions,etc...

I make it a practice of not assuming.....

Wow,figured you could figure it out from there,but yes,I've been in his garage when both owners have changed the oil,I've been at the track when they changed the oil,talked about tracked events,dyno sessions,etc...

My thoughts? Ok. If it says to use 5W-20, then use 5W-20. Why do consumers think they know more than the engineers?

Alot of cars nowadays take 5W-20 and even 0W-20. Engines nowadays are built alot better and have tighter tolerances.
Originally Posted By: kballowe
2013 Mustang GT
6-speed manual
.373 LS with Brembo's
5.0L V8 420 HP - with 8 quart sump

Car will occasionally be 'driven'
Do not anticipate any track time

Manufacturer recommends 5W-20

Your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

Alot of cars nowadays take 5W-20 and even 0W-20. Engines nowadays are built alot better and have tighter tolerances.

here we go again, tighter tolerance means clearances are held closer to optimum, NOT that they are smaller...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I recall reading his article. IIRC he was also a disgruntled Ford employee and not very happy with them. So at least for me that plays into the equation as well.

I've heard/seen nothing to suggest he was disgruntled in the least. He left Ford for NASCAR.

Lighter oils cause less pumping resistance and reduce temperatures.

The Ford engineers know what they are doing, if they wanted you to use something else they would have said so.

Is that new Ford V8 a dry sump?

Wow. I go away for a few days and look what this turned into.

12 pages and 117 replies - and counting.

Must be a hot topic. HA-HA !

In the mean time, I put about 1,000 miles on the new Mustang.

;-)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Wow. I go away for a few days and look what this turned into.

12 pages and 117 replies - and counting.

Must be a hot topic. HA-HA !

In the mean time, I put about 1,000 miles on the new Mustang.

;-)

LOL - good for you! Better to be out driving that nice car than attending the 5W-20 mud slinging contest
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back