5.3l 3011 yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate on the tsb

I agree on the gm forums sounds like doom and gloom. Also makes me rethink the extended oci, I live in Georgia, temps stay 45 to 110f with occasional 25 to 35f in February mostly used for 5-20 mile trips.....any oil weight types,or oci suggestions welcome.
This is my wife's car and when it has 140 to 150k I will park my then 24 yo dd and the yukon will be my dd I am a maint freak fyi and y'all are making it worse 😀

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I just want to know the price of GM's stock in 3011!

I had a Gypsy fortune teller tell me what GM would be like in 3011 and she told me that they still were having trouble with the darn ignition switches!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 9050lx
How in the [censored] did GM screw one of the best engines ever made?

Easy, but adding cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. Flame suit on. If I buy a vehicle equipped with a V8, I want a V8 running on 8 cylinders all the time. If I bought one and was forced into 4 cylinders cutting out because of a fuel economy gain the company is forced to hit, I'd disable the system the minute I drove off the dealership lot, and see to it that it remains that way for the extended life of the vehicle.
27.gif

It may be true, as far as EPA fuel economy testing is concerned, that this cylinder deactivation thing is a little more fuel efficient, I have seen no substantive proof that in the real world it really has any appreciable benefit. It is GM's attempt to appease the EPA gods, and nothing more. I see myriads of fuel economy claims on various GM related forums and I see no indication of anything that would lead me to believe that AFM is of any benefit in comparing like models and years and those that have disabled the AFM and those that have not.

Likewise, I had a 2013 1500 with 5.3 and disabled the AFM. I chose to avoid it later when I needed to upgrade and decided to go with a 2500 and 6.0. All the VVT and other positives, but without AFM. And a solid cast iron block. A lot more pickup for virtually the same money as a comparable 1500.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
Just get a Japanese car. I have both a Nissan and a Chevy. Nissan is miles ahead of Chevy in performance and reliability.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
on the Nissans.

Their 4.0L V6's perform better in my Frontier than does the 5.3L V8 AFM engine in my TrailBlazer.

Last edited:
what gears - my 5.3L & 4.10 gears ain't hurting around any trucks that size ...

Tig,
The newer trucks just require a programmer and 5 minutes or less of your time. I would get it turned off now, because once issues start, it requires you to go into the engine. I have a close friend that had an 2008 Silverado and it was using a qt every 700 miles like clockwork it started at about 32,000 miles. He traded it in after 96,000 when it needed a new cat. He bought a 16' and brought a programmer with him to turn it off on the way home with less than 10 miles on it. He learned

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Tig,
The newer trucks just require a programmer and 5 minutes or less of your time. I would get it turned off now, because once issues start, it requires you to go into the engine. I have a close friend that had an 2008 Silverado and it was using a qt every 700 miles like clockwork it started at about 32,000 miles. He traded it in after 96,000 when it needed a new cat. He bought a 16' and brought a programmer with him to turn it off on the way home with less than 10 miles on it. He learned

Is this something an auto shop will do? My son is a Neuropsychologist and does not work on his own vehicles.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
Tig,

Is this something an auto shop will do? My son is a Neuropsychologist and does not work on his own vehicles.

There is a link I referenced on the 1st page of this thread. It's a inexpensive "black box" that turns off your AFM-and doesn't require a programmer. If you take your vehicle in to the dealer-you just unplug it-it leaves no trace on your ECM. It plugs in to your OBD port and installs in 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Tig, if you can change the oil, use a computer, you can do this. I doubt that a shop would do the BLACK box or programer. It is technically tampering with emissions. It puts more out the tailpipe when in v8 mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back