4x4 synth gear lube...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm switching the lube in all the gear sets (manual trans., diff., and trans. case). I need 75W-90. Any suggestions??
Amsoil states their 2000 series does not have to be replaced once installed. Any others comparable? Truck is '93 Toyota 4x4 V6 manual.
Thanks.
Hugh

After all my trials with Delo Gear from Chevron and studies of phos/sulfur vs borate EP addtives, I won't use anything but Delo. 75 lb Timken.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in the diffs of my 98 chevy ext-cab Z71 and Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case. No problems so far.

Wayne

Sprintman,
On a Toyota forum I frequent, someone put Redline in their gears and it made them howl. He went with a different lube and the howling stopped. I don't know why but...???
Widman,
Could you give some more detail on your studies?
I'll look up Chev. Delo.

Hugh, I would believe that ... but oinly if the Red Line was of a lighter weight than the oil it was replacing (myabe MTL?). And even then, it may be showing wear from when that previous oil was in the case.

Red Line likes to emphasize that you'll get better mileage and more power from thinner oils and theirs will still protect even if you go thinner. BUT, this is only true with a new (tight) piece of machinery. Used trannies & diffs will be too loose to try a significantly thinner oil.

--- Bror Jace

Widman,

"After all my trials with Delo Gear from Chevron and studies of phos/sulfur vs borate EP addtives, I won't use anything but Delo. 75 lb Timken. "

I would sure love to see analysis on those diffys and compare wear metals to some recent
analysis I have had with a major synthetic gear lube.

Me, too. Though I'd need an explanation of what I'd be reading.
grin.gif

What brands have you tried, Molakule?

I'm on vacation in the states for my son's wedding, so after 28 hours of broken planes and hotels, I'm back on line.
Delo Gear Lube (automotive) and Ultra Gear Lube (industrial) are ISOSYN base oil, Borate EP products with 75 lb timken tests. I personally sold a sugar mill on replacing Meropa 680 that they traditionally ran 2600 hours with about 700 ppm of iron, running about 60 C. At the end of each season (5200 hours)they spent 4 months replacing and refacing gears. The Chevron Ultra Gear 680 they put in ran through all of last year ended the 5200 hours running at 45 C and 7 ppm of iron, so I told them there was no need to change oil. So far this year they are about 4500 hours into the season on last years oil, still running 45 C. We will analize at the end of the season. This means they are using 4,400 liters for 2 years and so far no repairs instead of 22,000 liters in two years with a lot of repairs.
Also, 20 months ago I convinced two owners of interstate busses to convert from traditional sulfur/phos 85w140 gear oil in their Volvo transmissions. The four busses were running 86 to 94 C in the transmission (laser gun). Because of the heavy loads, steep mountains 12% grades) they never had gotten more than 40,000 km without a transmission rebuild. We switched to Delo 80w90 in Jan 2001, and dropped temps to 55 and 56 C. I asked them to give me samples at 50,000 km for analisis, but they now tell me they don't want to drain the oil and bother with analisis since each bus has now gone over 140,000 km without a repair. This was not only an oil change but a visc change, as I took advantage of the fact that I was guaranteeing their transmissions to get them to the right viscosity as well.
I also run Delo in the race cars I sponsor. After one race I had the trans opened just for inspection to prove to the other drivers the difference. The demonstration worked, but the photografer didn't.
I have some additional information on my site...... for those that understand a little spanish.

Hugh,if I owned the truck here are my picks,

Shaeffers Synthetic blend # 267 which is a 80/90 with moly in it,Pennzoil has a good gear oil as does Chevron or this new Phillips Product,it is pretty neat.It is a 80/140 Full Synthetic that is GL4 and GL5 rated and passed the corrosion strip test,it can be found easily at the Trop Artic web site .I would think this would be about 6.00 per quart,,not certain what the price of all the other suggested would be but in all honesty,you will probably never need to replace any of the suggested brands again unless run in water.

[ September 23, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Hugh,

I've had good results with the Series 2000, 75w-90 synthetic gear lube ....I am using it in the transmission/differential of my '95 Tacoma pickup. I also changed out the power steering and put the Amsoil synthetic ATF in there about five years ago. Seemed to quite it down a bit in cold weather.

Redline and Mobil also make very good synthetic gear lubes in the 75w-90 grade ....

TooSlick

Currenlty running MT-90 but when I change it in a few months I will be running a 50-50 mix of MT-90 and MTL to further reduce cold shifting issues which are common on this car. Owner's club members feel the 50-50 does a great job

I tried the Amosil 75W90 (trans)and 80 W90 (rear end) in my 6 spd AWD and there was no diff over the OEM fill. Went to RedLine and WOW, a world of diff in shifting, especially when cold. Now use RedLine gear oils in all applications. Still use the Amsoil ATF though

Hugh, I just saw where Schaeffers has the #741 75/90 Synthetic Gear Oil.

I did not know they offered a Full Synthetic gear oil until browsing a few minutes ago.
That gear oil I would imagine would really go the distance for you if you have not already decided on another
cheers.gif

Thanks dragboat,
I saw that on the data sheet. There is a bigger explanation for the Sch. Sup 80w-90 making it look like the better product. I didn't see any moly listed for the #741. I'll post ??? to Bob.
Thanks for looking out, though.
smile.gif

Hugh

Hugh, for the Toyota if you want to go synth, M1 and Valvoline are both readily available from mass marketers in 75W90 GL5 and they're probably the cheapest synths around. You'll need about ~2 qts for ea box or 8 qts total. GL5 is fine for all your Toy's boxes.

On the tranny a pure GL4 (in synth only available from the boutique brands AFAIK) 'might' produce slightly smoother shifting. But I'm fairly certain Toy lists GL5 as OK for your tranny too so you should be fine either way (check your owners manual if you care to). Shouldn't be an issue w/ the transfer case as there's no synchro's there.

I'm ambivalent about synths in general but if you are in a cold environment you'll notice an immediate difference in you're tranny with any synth on a cold morning compared to dino. Since I so rarely change oil in the boxes I figure it doesn't hurt in the rest of them and brands like M1 and Valv aren't that much more than their dino equivalents. Perhaps $30 - $40 for a Toy from bumper to bumper?

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back