4x4 Front Differential Svc

So on a lot of dodge / ford / chevy models a member will be in the way preventing the front cover from coming off completely. My question is if I were to remove the cover and let it hang there while the fluid is dripping. Then wipe both surfaces, in theory I should be able to inject a bead of RTV in there then tighten the bolts correct? I wuldnt need to take the entire cover off.

So on a lot of dodge / ford / chevy models a member will be in the way preventing the front cover from coming off completely. My question is if I were to remove the cover and let it hang there while the fluid is dripping. Then wipe both surfaces, in theory I should be able to inject a bead of RTV in there then tighten the bolts correct? I wuldnt need to take the entire cover off.
For those differentials a suction tool to remove the fluid is the easiest way. My BMW's differential only has a fill plug, so I use a suction tool to remove most of the fluid then refill.

For those differentials a suction tool to remove the fluid is the easiest way. My BMW's differential only has a fill plug, so I use a suction tool to remove most of the fluid then refill.
If it's like mine there should be a drain and a fill.

No you don't have to remove the cover, but as mentioned sucking the diff oil out might be a cleaner option.

My past GM’s had front aluminum housings with fill/drain plugs … think the 4WIS has both as housings (not done yet) …
So, on the rear of my 2017 - I just break bolts until it leaks oil - but, that’s a reusable gasket …
For RTV - you’d have to drain all night and then clean with a degreaser first

Is a very small tube used to suck out the differential? I tried it on my Ford F-150 with a hand held MityVac pump and the tube wouldn't suck any fluid at all?

Warm it up then bend some 3/8" brake line and hook the mity vac to that.

Don't give yourself the headache of trying to clean and seal a cover with an inch of clearance.

Several newer models have drain plugs, my Ram actually has an O-ring in the cast housing making it easy to loosen the bolts, drain, wipe and tighten up then refill.

Back