4T60 ATF Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to Rockauto, and try to bring up an ATF filter for my 4T60, I am presented with a bunch of options.

FRAM FT1072
ACDELCO Part # TF234
ACDELCO Part # 24227477
etc.

They go in price from $9 (Fram), to $18, to a full $30.

What's the real difference between these filters? I'll gladly buy the $30 one if its somehow better for extended life, etc. But I don't like flushing money down the toilet of some MBA-conocted scam to charge a fortune for merely a different part number.

I guess that I would take all the part #'s to checkout and see what the difference is with shipping and RockAuto discount code#. Do you have a RA Code# to use?

I would say that the differences on brands is little. And the two ACDelco part# are either for slightly different applications(read all information pertaining to your tranny) or one part# supercedes the other and RA still has both in stock.

What exact vehicle/model/year is this for? I'll look it up and double check for you and see if I can find anything that makes a difference(2nd pair of eyes!)

Other than that, IDK!
smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pitzel
When I go to Rockauto, and try to bring up an ATF filter for my 4T60, I am presented with a bunch of options.

FRAM FT1072
ACDELCO Part # TF234
ACDELCO Part # 24227477
etc.

They go in price from $9 (Fram), to $18, to a full $30.

What's the real difference between these filters? I'll gladly buy the $30 one if its somehow better for extended life, etc. But I don't like flushing money down the toilet of some MBA-conocted scam to charge a fortune for merely a different part number.

I think the differences could be due to country of origin and differences in construction (plastic body vs. metal), pan gasket material type, etc.

The AC/Delco or GM OEM filter kits might also come with the filter seal hence the higher price.

I am not sure it's easy to tell buy just looking at them on Rockauto. I went with the wix for the impala off the site just because I trust Wix. Went with a AcDelco for the truck.

i like the WIX filters and always order them with a pan gasket(since there is a version sold without) since i tend to have bad luck with the "reuable" factory gasket.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Are you in Regina? Auto Electric sells the AC stuff. Den-Paul is a good place for Fram.

Yeah availability isn't an issue, people who sell FRAM, Wix, or AC Delco are a dime a dozen around here. And I am in Minneapolis frequently, so can order from the various US online vendors or even brick and mortar. I just have no clue what constitutes a 'better' filter. Sometimes higher-price is better, but sometimes its just a matter of products being 'down-engineered' for different consumer price points.

ie: a quickie-lube that advertises a $120 transmission pan drop and filter service, probably isn't going to see a profit margin if they put in a $35 filter. So they are most apt to look for a $5-$10 filter.

I wouldn't be as worried about the filter element itself as much as the seal it makes in the transmission and also if you need a gasket the more expensive ones have gaskets included. Sometimes on Rockauto you have two different part numbers from the same manufacturer , with one being the filter only and the other part number being filter + gasket.

Also looks like the more expensive ones use more metal than plastic in their construction as already mentioned.

If you find one with a rubber+metal frame gasket you've likely also found a quality filter. The cheap gaskets are cork. If you use cork you have to be very careful with your RTV application making sure to cover the gasket completely but not overdo it.

The Wix filter for my 4T65e I got off Amazon came with a pretty nice rubber only gasket and appears to be constructed well (even though its made in China)

I am not sure which filter to use, because sometimes when I get a filter kit, there may be an SPX/Filtran filter in the kit, despite the fact that the package has the name of some other filter maker on it.

I think the only way to know what you get is to open the box and look. Since you can't do that, I'm not sure what advice I can give.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Yeah availability isn't an issue, people who sell FRAM, Wix, or AC Delco are a dime a dozen around here. And I am in Minneapolis frequently, so can order from the various US online vendors or even brick and mortar.

That makes it easier. As for quality, don't stress too much, as ATF filters aren't usually much more than rock catchers, as it were. If it were me, I'd be tempted to grab the AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back