~$450 Coolant exchange and heater core flush.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you're going to find a fair deal. ☹️

If the heat works good I'd skip that, probably close to half the price?

Where are you going? Probably 1-2 hours labor and cost of supplies/chemical disposal.
Indy shop which is about 1 mile from my house (I can run home.)

Granted the car has to be put on a lift to remove the splash shield so the hose can be pulled off the water pump (lowest point in the cooling system).

Indy shop which is about 1 mile from my house (I can run home.)

Granted the has to be put on a lift to remove the splash shield so the hoses can be pulled off the water pump (lowest point in the cooling system).
Is there a drain plug?

Is there a drain plug?
For the block? - No
For the radiator? - Not that I remember. There usually is a small plastic plug which will snap but it's not required to remove since the radiator is not the lowest point in the system.

For the block? - No
For the radiator? - Not that I remember. There usually is a small plastic plug which will snap but it's not required to remove since the radiator is not the lowest point in the system.
I don't see why the system would need to be drained using the lowest point if it's going to be flushed.

I'm no BMW aficionado but seems like this is being made really complicated. Drain system as low as it'll easily go, refill with distilled, run through heat cycle, repeat till water drains clean. Fill with appropriate level of coolant, top off with distilled, bleed.

If I'm missing something I apologize and am curious just how hard this can be made. 😁

I don't see why the system would need to be drained using the lowest point if it's going to be flushed.

I'm no BMW aficionado but seems like this is being made really complicated. Drain system as low as it'll easily go, refill with distilled, run through heat cycle, repeat till water drains clean. Fill with appropriate level of coolant, top off with distilled, bleed.

If I'm missing something I apologize and am curious just how hard this can be made. 😁
Exactly. Why does the system need to be flushed?

It seems pretty high to me. Two gallons of BMW blue is $60. However, if you aren't going to do it at home, then that's your price.

I would be suspicious of any flushes if they involve additives or separate chemicals. Is your series BMW prone to clogged coolant passages or heater cores?

No problem. First I was looking to just have them flush the heater core at the To/From hoses rather than the entire system. Then change the coolant. The BMW way for the N55 is to pull the lowest hose and maybe the radiator drain (can't remember on this engine), vacuum test the system for leaks, then refill with fresh coolant with using the vacuum or manually. After which the electric water pump is activated for the 10 min cycle to burp air from the system, recheck coolant level and you're done.

It seems pretty high to me. Two gallons of BMW blue is $60. However, if you aren't going to do it at home, then that's your price.

I would be suspicious of any flushes if they involve additives or separate chemicals. Is your series BMW prone to clogged coolant passages or heater cores?
Ya, I can't do this at home. Infuriating but it is what it is. Heater cores can be an issues so I want to rule it out. I was just looking to black flush the core rather than flush the entire system.

If the heater core is restricted then I'd be open to using a chemical to dissolve the obstruction but I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

The coolant is 7yrs old and is basically original except for what has been topped off over the years.

Last edited:
Since it is an N55 they will need to run the air bleed procedure with the electric water pump. Simple 12 minute process, but it is what it is when you go to a shop. The dealer near me charges I think $200/hr labor, so they would likely charge even more.

Since we're talking about a BMW, wait until your water pump fails and have it done then... ;)
That was my original plan and I might have reached that point by now if it weren't for COVID. I just realized that the vehicle turned 8 yrs old this month and I'm at 66k miles.

I put less than 5k miles/yr on the car now that I work from home and it will be even less once the little lady gets her 2-series in November..

Back