40 year old Craftsman corded drill just died. Replacement suggestions?

This. I use the corded drill a couple of times a year, the cordless and press all the time.
“The” - “The” cordless? As in, only one? That’s it? Really? I think I have 5, no, make that 6, cordless drills, plus at least 3 cordless drivers…

I can’t remember having only one…it was so very long ago…

😊

“The” - “The” cordless? As in, only one? That’s it? Really? I think I have 5, no, make that 6, cordless drills, plus at least 3 cordless drivers…

I can’t remember having only one…it was so very long ago…

😊
You are creating drill envy.

Pretty sure I have more. But who's counting? (y) :p :D

Funny thing, I missed OP had fixed is oldie! Sweet.

Me? I kill drills for a living.

Sidenote: If you want a nice small but good inexpensive press: Wen or Vevor : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6XW4JY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You are creating drill envy.

Pretty sure I have more. But who's counting? (y) :p :D

Funny thing, I missed OP had fixed is oldie! Sweet.

Me? I kill drills for a living.

Sidenote: If you want a nice small but good inexpensive press: Wen or Vevor : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6XW4JY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I was pleased to see that the OP fixed the drill as well.

My 40+ year old Makita 3/8” corded drill still works great. As does my 30+ year old Dewalt 1/2” corded drill. Can’t kill either of them. I may have replaced the cord on the Dewalt. I put a Jacobs Keyless Chuck on the Makita many, many years ago.

For drill press - I went Delta. A 16 1/2” floor model for woodworking. A 12” bench top for the shop in which I work on cars.

I cannot understand buying cheap tools. Quality tools, particularly power tools, last so much longer than cheap ones. I bet, if you were to compare the cost/hole drilled, or some other metric based on use and cost, the quality tool is far lower cost per unit of use.

Even my 1986 Craftsman 7 1/4” circular saw, which was relatively inexpensive, and a contemporary of the OP’s drill, has a quality of construction that I don’t see in cheap tools today.

I cannot understand buying cheap tools. Quality tools, particularly power tools, last so much longer than cheap ones. I bet, if you were to compare the cost/hole drilled, or some other metric based on use and cost, the quality tool is far lower cost per unit of use.
The gap has closed and many of the so called quality brands are just no more. Or made the same. Some same factory!

I have a HF Chicago 1/2" drill. Didn't cost much, treat it like a rented mule. Still just fine.

The 12" WEN bench top press runs true, didn't cost much. I had a small HF press, that thing was a complete piece of junk. Old Delta is nice, but new Delta not so much.

Don't think anyone will want my tools when I croak anyway.

Need to find a balance.

Back