40 year old Craftsman corded drill just died. Replacement suggestions?

This was the top of the line Professional line 3/8" variable speed reversible model. Working just find yesterday, nothing this morning. And I plugged it into a few different outlets. Maybe I can take it apart and find something inside broken that can be fixed, but until then, what is a good replacement corded model?

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

I doubt you'll find anything as good as that. I'd look into repairing it. Even look for an old guy that still does "motor repair" out of his garage that can do it.

Assuming you want a corded model still, the upper-quality brand names still apply ...
- Milwaukee
- DeWalt
- Makita
- etc
You get what you pay for, generally, in tools. Don't skimp if you want the good stuff.

I, too, had an old Craftsman drill similar to yours; it lasted a LONG time and took a lot of abuse. IMO tools for the average guy aren't what they used to be.

Can't remember the last time I used my corded drill but I use the cordless I keep on my workbench often.

I have an old, made in Japan Makita corded drill. It's a beast ! I rarely "need" it but if I have to drill holes into (thick) metal or concrete, I'll dig it out of my shed.
My Dad gave me a Makita corded drill as a birthday present over 40 years ago. He said, “I’ve never heard of Makita, but the sales guy said they’re the best.”

And, more than 40 years later, he was right.

Can't remember the last time I used my corded drill but I use the cordless I keep on my workbench often.
Sometimes you just need torque that a cordless can't provide, or can't provide for long. A couple examples that come to mind are running a 1" Forstner bit through a bunch of studs for running Romex, or priming the oiling system on a big block Chevy engine through the distributor hole.

Corded are also lighter and slimmer, plus 120 volts is probably more efficient and powerful. Anyway, I took the back cover off and cleaned the contacts on the reversing switch. That fixed it and it's fine now. The cord is pretty dry rotted so will have to look for a replacement eventually.

I just hurt a 30 YR Craftsman 1/2" drill, overheated it mixing drywall compound. Stupid. There are no parts available that I can find except buying parts drills on Ebay. A good corded drill has it's place in the garage. People seem to like the better Harbor Freight power tools, I have no experience with them but may try one out now.

Probably the switch.

Go to ebay and buy a 30 year old replacement for $15. Lots of them up there - usually easy to tell by the pics how much its been used.

Sometimes you just need torque that a cordless can't provide, or can't provide for long. A couple examples that come to mind are running a 1" Forstner bit through a bunch of studs for running Romex, or priming the oiling system on a big block Chevy engine through the distributor hole.
The 1/2" 18+V ones with a 3 or 4 amp hr battery are pretty good. 40-50 ftlb of torque is all you need for one hand, and I'm guessing a battery would drill through 80-100 studs? I doubt many electricians or framers use corded anything anymore? Even the circular saws, I think battery only for everything but ripping thick flooring sheets?
I've had good luck with my 1/2" Rigid 18V hammer drill, its near 18 years old now and gets used, got a new free pair of 3 amp Li-ion batteries and charger about 8 years ago as they didn't make ni-cads replacements anymore. It's broken a few 1/2" impact driver attachments and been filled with snow and dirt and rust several times and still keeps on going.
I now have a 1/2" rigid compact impact driver, and its the last one I'll ever buy with the lifetime warranty.

Corded are also lighter and slimmer, plus 120 volts is probably more efficient and powerful. Anyway, I took the back cover off and cleaned the contacts on the reversing switch. That fixed it and it's fine now. The cord is pretty dry rotted so will have to look for a replacement eventually.
Glad you were able to fix it!

Dewalt has a usa made 9A drill that woukd be my choice. Makita would be another great option. Make sure the chuck is decent. Keyed or keyless. Ideally all metal. A lot of brands, even better brands will stick a lousy chuck on there, half plastic, no good.

Dewalt has a usa made 9A drill that woukd be my choice. Makita would be another great option. Make sure the chuck is decent. Keyed or keyless. Ideally all metal. A lot of brands, even better brands will stick a lousy chuck on there, half plastic, no good.
I have that one. Works great.

Or hate to say it, save some $ and get a HF

I would avoid new Milwaukee corded nowadays. This is very sad to me. I had two corded die and Milwaukee would not repair or replace the one just past warranty. The other was a couple years old. They just aren't like the Hole Hawg days.

All this said, 99% cordless or drill press (I have two presses)

I doubt you'll find anything as good as that. I'd look into repairing it. Even look for an old guy that still does "motor repair" out of his garage that can do it.
This was the top of the line Professional line 3/8" variable speed reversible model. Working just find yesterday, nothing this morning. And I plugged it into a few different outlets. Maybe I can take it apart and find something inside broken that can be fixed, but until then, what is a good replacement corded model?

View attachment 202326

View attachment 202327
I'm going to guess the brushes, a wire shorted, or a capacitor went bad.

View attachment 202326

View attachment 202327
If not a $5-10 fix replace it.

Back