3D printing a fix for my Matco box

I bought this fairly nice roller bearing Matco box in 1995 and had already replaced the drawer stops once right after I bought it. Turns out, whatever material they were made out of just decided to up and crumble this fall, leaving me with drawers that won't stay shut. I figured I'd order up some new stops, replace them, and be done with it. Not only were they near impossible to find, but $16+ for 4 of them is a bit steep for my tastes. Especially since I needed 32 of the little buggers.

1708831634145.jpg

An evening alone with my CAD program and I had this all drawn up.

No, they aren't exactly the same, but a couple of test prints later and I had a design that was good enough to work, without paying well over $100 for them. They're printed out of a flexible TPU material. Time will tell how they hold up.

1708831715204.jpg
IMG_20240224_222857334_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240224_222510511.jpg

Do they need to be flexible?

3D Printing is one of my hobbies. I started witn an Ender 3 and moved to Prusa clones and now I am replacing those with Vorons.

I would try a drawer or two with ABS printed ones. Test it out for a couple months.

Do they need to be flexible?

3D Printing is one of my hobbies. I started witn an Ender 3 and moved to Prusa clones and now I am replacing those with Vorons.

I would try a drawer or two with ABS printed ones. Test it out for a couple months.
Yes, they have to be able to compress slightly to allow the slide to move over top of them. The harder plastics won't work for the application.

Fantastic! That's an Etsy thing there, or put the file up in a freeware space if you want to mess with it.

In the few dealings I've had with Matco as a company, they're a mess. I'll still use their stuff if the price is right, but I don't expect much support after the sale.

Fantastic! That's an Etsy thing there, or put the file up in a freeware space if you want to mess with it.

In the few dealings I've had with Matco as a company, they're a mess. I'll still use their stuff if the price is right, but I don't expect much support after the sale.
I was just about to ask - was the OP denied warranty for these items? I thought this would be a warranty matter.

Reactions: D60
Lifetime is lifetime, no?
Not only that, but are the slides even different today? By '95 it seems we had ball bearing slides nailed pretty well.

Point being you may not be asking for an obsolete part (I understand they still sell the part needed, but I'm saying they may still put it in today's boxes?)

Not only that, but are the slides even different today? By '95 it seems we had ball bearing slides nailed pretty well.

Point being you may not be asking for an obsolete part (I understand they still sell the part needed, but I'm saying they may still put it in today's boxes?)

When I was looking a couple of months ago, the new slides were indeed different. I couldn't even find the exploded drawings for my box, let along a part#/replacement paart.

• Helpful
Probably is. Never thought to check, although I do need them to replace a 7mm wrench I broke putting my shocks in. Wasn't worth my time to dig into it.
Considering how expensive these boxes are, I don't feel bad about taking advantage of their lifetime warranty. Warranty claims are definitely being built into their pricing structure.

Considering how expensive these boxes are, I don't feel bad about taking advantage of their lifetime warranty. Warranty claims are definitely being built into their pricing structure.

Agree. I'm just lazy and didn't feel like jumping through hoops.

Plus it gives me a chance to practice my CAD'ing.

Just an example for the person that asked something along the lines of 'shouldn't they all be the same'.

I could have used the SnapOn ones but they are still $3.50 a pair.

1709083260086.jpg

One of the reasons I say the company is a mess is because I just warrantied a couple snap ring pliers.

They try to insist you MUST do all warranty claims online (unless you have a driver I guess).

I already had an account on their site so I logged in, tried to go to the appropriate page, and it just kicked me back to login. Tried a few variations, no go. Switched to desktop site - nope. Went my desktop computer on a totally different browser and OS - nope.

Contacted Matco, they said yeah, must be a problem, we've referred to IT and will get back with you. A week or so went by and I emailed again and said, look, you're not getting back with me ever, let's be honest.

They said it's now working on our end, try it. Phone = nope. Phone on desktop = nope. Desktop computer = nope.

Finally they begrudgingly said ok, tell us what you need and we'll send you a prepaid label to return the broken stuff. SEE, IT WAS POSSIBLE ALL ALONG!!!!

Then they say we no longer offer product XYZ, you'll get a credit to use on a future purchase. Ok, fair enough. Awhile goes by and I get one replacement tool and ask how to use my credit for the other. Is there a code? Is it somehow stored on my online account they're so insistent I have to warranty tools?

Nope, I'm told I just call and tell them I want to use a credit. I got the impression it's not written down or recorded anywhere.

Back