$35.58 ozone generator at Amazon

1710287864434.jpg
Sigh.

I had one of those to clean out mildew smell in FL. It was pretty powerful. You don't have to run it long.

Sunroof leak, Air Conditioner condenser? leaking, check drain tube for A/C drain.
No sunroof. The A/C hasn’t been running nor is there any wetness in the carpet, but I will check that.

I changed the coolant recently but I think that’s coincidental. If I had somehow damaged the heater core I would think there would be more symptoms.

often from condensation in the core itself mold/mildew will develop. One of the ways to battle that is to get close as possible and spray Lysol or something similar with alcohol in it which will kill bacteria. I have done that on o0ne car, but results weren't perfect because I could not get close enough to the core to spray directly.

often from condensation in the core itself mold/mildew will develop. One of the ways to battle that is to get close as possible and spray Lysol or something similar with alcohol in it which will kill bacteria. I have done that on o0ne car, but results weren't perfect because I could not get close enough to the core to spray directly.
I just removed the cabin filter, turned the blower up on high, and sprayed 10 ounces of 91% alcohol into the cowl intake. Hopefully if there is anything living in the core this will kill it.

I had a company car in the early 80’s that developed a mildew smell with no obvious cause. Turned out to be a leaking heater core. Took a month or two to figure it out.

I had a company car in the early 80’s that developed a mildew smell with no obvious cause. Turned out to be a leaking heater core. Took a month or two to figure it out.
The funny thing is that the smell doesn't seem to be coming from the vents. When driving I smell it least when I point the airflow directly at my face.

I can't find any wetness anywhere and I can't sniff out the source to pinpoint it. It's a mystery.

The funny thing is that the smell doesn't seem to be coming from the vents. When driving I smell it least when I point the airflow directly at my face.

I can't find any wetness anywhere and I can't sniff out the source to pinpoint it. It's a mystery.
I had the smell for a month or two with no visible symptoms. It made itself obvious when it finally let go just above the accelerator and got my foot hot and wet. Before then it had apparently been seeping very slowly just enough to dampen the pad under the carpet. No smell ever came from the vents. Core was replaced and all was well.

Back