30-06 your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
If it’s good enough for Patton it’s good enough for me.

And the M1 Garand .

Be safe out there , :)

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I have a .240 Weatherby...$6 a bang, wish it was a 30-06.

I remember a good story about a high-school kid who decided he wanted a very powerful rifle, though I can't remember the caliber of the rifle in the story. He told someone that he was interested in that gun and the person said something like that gun is powerful enough to shoot an elephant, and way too powerful for anything you could hunt here in the US. Anyhow, the kid bought the gun and then had another conversation with the same person. The person said something along the lines of how is your new rifle? The kid said I'm selling it. The person asked have you shot it? The kid replied yes, once. And the person replied why did you fire it only once? And the kid replied "you could not pay me enough to shoot that thing again." And then the kid went on to say he was selling the rifle and asking an amount that was a couple of hundred less than what he paid for it.

Experience is what you got when you did not get what you wanted . I expect this applies to the kid in the story , that chose to ignore good advice . He got a sore shoulder , and when he sold the rifle , his wallet was a couple of bills lighter .

Best of luck to you , :)
Wyr
God bless

Your problem is you need to reload yourself for a dollar a round or less.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

True. The problem with Weatherby cartridges is the cost of the brass. It is ungodly expensive. The cheapest place I've found for it is Huntingtons. And even they charge anywhere from $64.00 to $67.00 for a box of 20 for my .338-378, and my .460. It's Norma brand, and it holds up well to several reloads. For the .300 Weatherby Magnum, it can be had for a bit less then what they charge, if you shop around. (It's sold 50 to a pack).

https://www.huntingtons.com/store/home.php?cat=272

Originally Posted By: billt460

True. The problem with Weatherby cartridges is the cost of the brass. It is ungodly expensive. The cheapest place I've found for it is Huntingtons. And even they charge anywhere from $64.00 to $67.00 for a box of 20 for my .338-378, and my .460. It's Norma brand, and it holds up well to several reloads. For the .300 Weatherby Magnum, it can be had for a bit less then what they charge, if you shop around. (It's sold 50 to a pack).

Three years ago my buddy gave me a 3 pound coffee can of once fired 300 Weatherby. So with my other 500 I now have a lifetime supply. I shoot them about 10 times and their gone. That brings the price right down there per round.

Three years ago my buddy gave me a 3 pound coffee can of once fired 300 Weatherby. So with my other 500 I now have a lifetime supply. I shoot them about 10 times and their gone. That brings the price right down there per round.

Yup, only need to buy and worry about the cost of brass once per 6-8-10 loadings.

Hemingway wrote of shooting some crazy big stuff in Africa, including a rhino I believe, with a 30/06 and solids. Worked well although obviously not the first choice for such work.

As for the old timers comment I agree, and I believe he meant it as a compliment.

I have had several, have none now and regret it immensely.

30/06 is a great, storied round. Will take any game on this continent. It is what I compare most other calibers to. Many other calibers are "better" for hunting whitetails depending on who you ask. The venerable 30/30 and 35 Rem have killed more game on this continent than any other round during Great Grandpa's time. I hunt deer with my 270 and it gets the job done well. I must admit that the 30/06 is more versitile.

It is probably the best caliber ever made. I bought my 700 BDL in 1964. I have hunted everything from Elk and black bear to Squirrels. Yes I said Squirrels. ( I would paper patch a #1 buckshot with a few grains of Bullseye...just make sure you always shoot up not down). The 30-06 is a round you can always find in a remote store miles from anything...try doing that with a WSM round. One can find bullet weights from 55 grain Accelerator at 4000+FPS to thundering 220 grain Swifts. My favorite is 180 grain Nosler Partitions on top of 4350.

Originally Posted By: josie_wales
It is probably the best caliber ever made. I bought my 700 BDL in 1964. I have hunted everything from Elk and black bear to Squirrels. Yes I said Squirrels. ( I would paper patch a #1 buckshot with a few grains of Bullseye...just make sure you always shoot up not down). The 30-06 is a round you can always find in a remote store miles from anything...try doing that with a WSM round. One can find bullet weights from 55 grain Accelerator at 4000+FPS to thundering 220 grain Swifts. My favorite is 180 grain Nosler Partitions on top of 4350.

I don't think Remington makes Accelerator loads anymore.

Well...since I am a Garand fan (I own three), I must be a .30-06 fan!

While military cartridges always have a strong civilian following, the .30-06 is more successful than most. It's a very versatile round, as pointed out, capable of hunting everything in North America. The last supplies of good surplus ammo in .30-06 are drying up. CMP is out of Greek surplus, but the round is popular enough that new production ammo (for example, the S&B M2 ball load) is available for quite reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back