2WD ATV snow tires

We have a smaller Grizzly 125 which is 2WD, looking for a good tire for the snow.

We have some hills, and I'm thinking the Carlisle Trail Pro isn't the best option. Thinking about the Kenda Bearclaw but curious to what others have had good success with.

I want to speculate that some snow-holding capability of the tire would be better like a dedicated snow tire for a passenger vehicle. Obviously ATV weight and ground clearance are against me, along with the 8" wheel.

Think I have bear claws on mine, but it’s 4WD. For me, weight is a big problem, getting traction (I use mine for pushing snow). Otherwise, only other experience has been with bald tires (that’s what the machine came with).

On the plus side, if your machine is light, it should be easy to get unstuck. Carry a shovel. :)

Do you have clearance for chains? Wondering if that’s a low buck (but high performance) option.

Carlisle Trail Pros are awful in snow. Get yourself a pair of Wooly Boogers.
I haven't heard that name since the early days of "Dirt Wheels" and all the articles on the 3-wheelers.
Do you have clearance for chains?
Might, will be close.
I don't see a 2-wd as much of a snow vehicle regardless of tires.
I agree, but just trying to have something other than hitting the gas and digging a hole with no forward movement...lol.
Chains are better than any tire made in snow.
Agreed, but that depends on the circumstances and applications. Dedicated wintwr tires for passenger vehicles, different argument.

FWIW, I'm just looking for a tire that can work in light powder to moderately packed snow without spinning in one place.

I agree a 2WD ATV has many things working against it. This isn't for me, but for the kids to play around.

I haven't heard that name since the early days of "Dirt Wheels" and all the articles on the 3-wheelers.

Might, will be close.

I agree, but just trying to have something other than hitting the gas and digging a hole with no forward movement...lol.

Agreed, but that depends on the circumstances and applications. Dedicated wintwr tires for passenger vehicles, different argument.

FWIW, I'm just looking for a tire that can work in light powder to moderately packed snow without spinning in one place.

I agree a 2WD ATV has many things working against it. This isn't for me, but for the kids to play around.
I had a set of WoolyBoogers on a 1984 Yamaha 225DX… that thing went like crazy in the snow.

I had a set of WoolyBoogers on a 1984 Yamaha 225DX… that thing went like crazy in the snow.

I found a pair of Wanda P308's that mimic the "Wooly Booger" tread style. We had about 4" to mess around in and they performed very well, much higher than my expectations.

1000005304.jpg

1000005308.jpg

I can't speak to how these do in snow specifically (GA) but I have a set of these SUNF A033's on a 2wd Grizzly and they have been excellent. My brother-in-law took it on a atv trip with some far more capable machines and had no issues going where they went.

Back