2nd Gen Outlander CVT reliability

On the flip side here is a video on a 2016 Outlander. Skip ahead to just past the 2 minute mark to see it has the 2.4 four cylinder engine with the CVT. This guy is a straight talker IMO.

Oh god that reminds me of my Caliber…
37C46BC2-DC5F-4718-977D-AA7E1FD1D1C0.jpeg

I had a 2016 Rouge, which my son now has. It’s the same set up, and we never had a problem with it in 106,000 miles. I’m not sure how many he has put in it, but still no problems. I changed the fluid at 103,000 miles and planned in doing it again at 150,000

The little crossover got as good mileage as my Camry 4 cylinder. The Altima I had before it would get 27mpg in town and 34-37 on the highway. The only reason I don’t have an Altima now is I couldn’t find a nice one when I was shopping for a car.

I had rented an Altima and really was disappointed with the fake shifting. My Rouge had it too, but it’s more annoying than the sound of it running like a snowmobile in getting to speed (CVT WOT)

The CVT is good with proper maintenance.

I was curious to see what the difference was for my CVT car, compared to the last automatic.

It's kind of funny that its tuned to run pretty much like the old 4spd auto at WO atleast... At half throttle the CVT behaves a bit more like modern 6 spd auto, and at low throttle its in straight CVT mode holding steady at the most efficient rpm for good mileage.

To me it boils down to the fact that most vehicles with CVTs aren't performance based vehicles to begin with (I know there are exceptions).

They don't sound or necessarily feel great no matter what gearbox the engine is bolted to. Ever drive an older Subaru with a 4 or 5spd AT. Good lawd... The CVT is an upgrade there IMO.

Same with Nissans in terms of NVH, performance and driveability. You should try my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa sedan base model with the 4spd AT. It's like going back in time 30yrs. It's louder and harsher than those that are CVT equipped. Will it last longer? Who knows.

One exception to the CVT is they are pretty nice coupled to a Nissan VQ35 engine. I've owned two of those so far. They move out and feel pretty nice.

Back