'22 Subaru Ascent

Just purchased a new Subaru Ascent. 1500 miles on it so far, thinking of changing oil this weekend. Good idea, or not so much?

So many opinions, but what oil/filter would YOU use? Thanks!

Use 0w30 such as Mobil 1 or 5w30 such as Pennzoil Platinum, you can wait until 3000 miles if you would like to. If you care about Subaru bypass spec for the oil filter use either the OEM, Wix 57055, Napa Gold 7055, or Microgard Select MSL57055. If not get a Champ XL 2867 or any Fram 7317.

Use 0w30 such as Mobil 1 or 5w30 such as Pennzoil Platinum, you can wait until 3000 miles if you would like to. If you care about Subaru bypass spec for the oil filter use either the OEM, Wix 57055, Napa Gold 7055, or Microgard Select MSL57055. If not get a Champ XL 2867 or any Fram 7317.

I've read all your other posts about the Ascent--thanks for the info.

M1 ESP 0w-30 is available locally for a reasonable price. (As reasonable as anything is right now...)

Thoughts?

I went from being an oil thickie in my turbocharged EJ, to an oil thinnie in my turbocharged OB XT. I think I'm running 0W-20 just to see if I ever have a problem. 😀 Despite a lot of fuel contamination, the FA24DIT doesn't seem to have the bearing issues that the EJ25x had. I'll be posting a UOA on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 soon.

For oil filter, I use whatever. OEM Honeywell, $3.88 Fram from War-Mart, etc. I ran the OEM Honeywell filter the majority of the 190k miles I put on my FXT, despite the internet saying "OMG, the OEM suBArU FilTer SUX and it wiLL @$$plode because it's NO GOOD!".

There's some boosted moly in the factory fill so I'd run it at least to 3,000 miles. I actually ran the FF to 5k mile in my OB XT.

I went from being an oil thickie in my turbocharged EJ, to an oil thinnie in my turbocharged OB XT. I think I'm running 0W-20 just to see if I ever have a problem. 😀 Despite a lot of fuel contamination, the FA24DIT doesn't seem to have the bearing issues that the EJ25x had. I'll be posting a UOA on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 soon.

For oil filter, I use whatever. OEM Honeywell, $3.88 Fram from War-Mart, etc. I ran the OEM Honeywell filter the majority of the 190k miles I put on my FXT, despite the internet saying "OMG, the OEM suBArU FilTer SUX and it wiLL @$$plode because it's NO GOOD!".

There's some boosted moly in the factory fill so I'd run it at least to 3,000 miles. I actually ran the FF to 5k mile in my OB XT.

I just wanted to let you know before someone else does that Honeywell has not produced an oil filter for Fram or Subaru in 11+ years.

I'm just out of engine warranty on my Outback and switched to syn 5W30, and it sounds better to my ears. I'm also using upper level Fram 7317's variants I had from my CRV.
My car has an oil temp display option and it runs around 214F just idling down the highway at 1600rpm on a sunny 70F day. For science, I shifted the engine to manual mode and held around 3500 rpm at 60mph with some hard accelerations and the oil temp seemed to max out and stabilize at around 225F. Not crazy high but I guess the active shutters at the grill and the large plastic cover underneath does restrict air flow by the pan.

If you are running high speeds up long grades at altitude, probably sticking with some good stout 5W30 syn on shorter intervals wouldn't hurt anything! Also these motors make some torque at lower rpms and the CVT will keep them there so 5W30 again seemed like a good idea to me.

I just wanted to let you know before someone else does that Honeywell has not produced an oil filter for Fram or Subaru in 11+ years.
I know, since that business was sold. Thanks, it's just a habit. It took me 10 years to stop saying OEM Purolator! :ROFLMAO:

OK, didn't realize the factory fill has higher moly. I know the "official" recommendation isn't to change the factory fill early, so I think I'll just run it until at least 3K miles.

Tell me more about the factory fill.

I was under the impression that none of the manufacturers use "break-in" oil anymore. I figured the factory fill in this Ascent was the same as the bulk 0w-20 Subaru-branded stuff at the dealer.

I've always had good luck with Wix/Napa Gold filters. Any advantage to using the XP/Platinum version in this rig where I won't be doing any extended drains?

Thanks for the advice!

I believe someone did a UOA of a FF in a Subaru Crosstrek and there was nothing special about the oil (no high moly). Because of this I dumped mine at about 1,000 miles.

I believe someone did a UOA of a FF in a Subaru Crosstrek and there was nothing special about the oil (no high moly). Because of this I dumped mine at about 1,000 miles.
I have found Subaru FF UOA's to be very inconsistent. Prior to about 2018, they were always very consistent across all models. After that, some FF UOA's show metallic add packs that match GF5/GF6 metallic additive levels while some still showed high ZDDP and moly.

There's a Crosstrek UOA with over 1,000 ppm's of moly just a few threads down.

Last edited:
I have found Subaru FF UOA's to be very inconsistent. Prior to about 2018, they were always very consistent across all models. After that, some FF UOA's show metallic add packs that match GF5/GF6 metallic additive levels while some still showed high ZDDP and moly.

There's a Crosstrek UOA with over 1,000 ppm's of moly just a few threads down.

Isn’t the Crosstrek assembled in Japan? That would explain the factory fill difference.

Isn’t the Crosstrek assembled in Japan? That would explain the factory fill difference.
Good point. I believe it's Idemitsu there as well, but could be formulated differently.

In this thread I mention a Legacy FF UOA with 675 ppm of moly. Back when I first noticed differences, it was actually all in the 2.0DIT WRX. Those threads are on nasioc.

The bulk oil at any of my local subaru dealers is not gold bottle idemitsu. It just the usual and varied bulk stuff like at any other dealer. In Fact Exeter Subaru was using Peak for a while. The Idemitsi is good stuff, but I wouldn't run it until after wear in likely three OCI on. You want to wear in the parts, not NOT wear in the parts. When you want it, you will have to request it.

Sold my 20 Ascent in January with 25k miles on it. I used PP or PUP 5w30, and engine seemed to like it. You will likely have some fuel dilution, so don't fill to the top mark on the dipstick, leave a bit extra in case this happens. I also used a Fumoto valve, and changes are super simple. I did the first OC somewhere between 1k-2k, then at 5k, and every 5k after that. It didn't burn any oil with the 5w30, if anything increased a tad with the fuel dilution.

Run the intended OCI from the day one. Cheapest oil that meets the desired spec. OEM. Go on about life without worry.
Agree 100%, run it to 6k (I think that's still what the Ascent's recommend). It's been shown over and over by ppl who drain their factory fills early that the Subaru fill is absolutely loaded with moly (and boron too IIRC) at levels you simply won't be able to match with any shelf oils. After the first change, use whatever you like, as others have stated, PP and PUP have given me great results as well.

Enjoy your Ascent!

Back