22 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins First oil change 17,500 Miles, consequences?

Hello all,

I work at a company and one of our work trucks is a 22 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins and we just got it last year brand new. Alot of us coworkers drive a random company work truck depending on what time we get to work, and what truck is left over

I would assume half of the miles were highway and half were city. We don't tow that much and not that heavy so I only think max 3000 miles were with normal or light weight towing. I don't know how long the oil change light was on for, but today when I went to take it for a job, I noticed the mileage and the oil change light so I had someone take it for an oil change asap. After I got the truck back, I was told that was the first oil change the truck had. I was puzzled since that means the oil was in there since brand new and had 17,500 miles on it. I don't know what filter/oil cummins/dodge runs from factory but I am assuming the guys went way over the OCI

Now I am curious, how bad is this so called 'damage'? or is the supposed factory oil and filter good enough for this long long oci. The truck seems to sound and run fine and from now on I hope the others who drive it actually take it for an oil change when it is due

Thanks

Any take here on you question, "is there damage to the engine" is just an opinion, because we don't have any objective data. It's not a good thing to leave the factory oil in for that many miles, but did it do damage? My opinion is that it didn't, but the oil probably had little alkalinity left and a UOA would probably show lots of wear-in metal. Now, if it had been run to 30,000 miles, you'd probably be looking at sludge and problems.

Hello all,

I work at a company and one of our work trucks is a 22 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins and we just got it last year brand new. Alot of us coworkers drive a random company work truck depending on what time we get to work, and what truck is left over

I would assume half of the miles were highway and half were city. We don't tow that much and not that heavy so I only think max 3000 miles were with normal or light weight towing. I don't know how long the oil change light was on for, but today when I went to take it for a job, I noticed the mileage and the oil change light so I had someone take it for an oil change asap. After I got the truck back, I was told that was the first oil change the truck had. I was puzzled since that means the oil was in there since brand new and had 17,500 miles on it. I don't know what filter/oil cummins/dodge runs from factory but I am assuming the guys went way over the OCI

Now I am curious, how bad is this so called 'damage'? or is the supposed factory oil and filter good enough for this long long oci. The truck seems to sound and run fine and from now on I hope the others who drive it actually take it for an oil change when it is due

Thanks

More importantly: did any of you check the oil level on a regular basis, or at least once or twice, during the first 17.500 miles?

Hello all,

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it weren't mine... I drove a School bus for 3 years... all of them have 6.7 Cummins and the school board only changed the oil once a year.. I had a brand new bus the 2nd year I worked for them, and I put 23000 miles on it in one school year and they never changed the oil.. it works for them, so it should work for your employer. :)

WE had this 2004 Ram Cummins at my old job.. 5.9.. I betya they might not have changed the oil in it every 30,000 miles.. and it got multiple drivers a day, people would leave it running for hours while not driving it,, beat to death.. it was past 200,000 city miles when I retired, thing wouldn't quit.. basically, if a person takes care of a Cummins ISB I'd be willing to bet it will last 800,000 miles or more becaue I know a couple people with Ram Cummins who are close to a million miles. So dont worry about what isn't your truck is my thoughts.
trailer 021.JPG

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it weren't mine... I drove a School bus for 3 years... all of them have 6.7 Cummins and the school board only changed the oil once a year.. I had a brand new bus the 2nd year I worked for them, and I put 23000 miles on it in one school year and they never changed the oil.. it works for them, so it should work for your employer. :)
The prevalent culture in our society is increasingly fostering mediocrity and negligence, instead of pushing for excellence and diligence. We've come to not just tolerate, but oddly enough, to glorify these traits. This is a pressing issue, given the pervasive and influential role of culture in shaping individual behavior and social structures.

Central to this problem is the overuse and misuse of phrases like "sorry" and "it's alright." The power of these phrases lies in their inherent ability to acknowledge mistakes and foster a forgiving environment. However, these words are increasingly being used as easy escapes from taking responsibility for our actions. We have reached a point where they are not just words of forgiveness, but rather, symbols of our growing comfort with subpar efforts and outcomes.

It's essential to understand that encouraging mediocrity doesn't mean we're becoming a more understanding or forgiving society. Rather, we're slowly but steadily lowering our standards, compromising on quality, and settling for less. This is a dangerous precedent to set for future generations who will eventually shape our society.

In essence, we must strive to redefine our societal values, aiming for a culture that doesn't just accept mediocrity and negligence, but challenges and rises above them. Only then can we truly progress as a society.

The prevalent culture in our society is increasingly fostering mediocrity and negligence, instead of pushing for excellence and diligence. We've come to not just tolerate, but oddly enough, to glorify these traits. This is a pressing issue, given the pervasive and influential role of culture in shaping individual behavior and social structures.

Central to this problem is the overuse and misuse of phrases like "sorry" and "it's alright." The power of these phrases lies in their inherent ability to acknowledge mistakes and foster a forgiving environment. However, these words are increasingly being used as easy escapes from taking responsibility for our actions. We have reached a point where they are not just words of forgiveness, but rather, symbols of our growing comfort with subpar efforts and outcomes.

It's essential to understand that encouraging mediocrity doesn't mean we're becoming a more understanding or forgiving society. Rather, we're slowly but steadily lowering our standards, compromising on quality, and settling for less. This is a dangerous precedent to set for future generations who will eventually shape our society.

In essence, we must strive to redefine our societal values, aiming for a culture that doesn't just accept mediocrity and negligence, but challenges and rises above them. Only then can we truly progress as a society.
All of that having to do with an OCI. Amazing.

Buy some HPL Engine cleaner and start with a good synthetic going forward.

I don't think 1 stunt of that did any damage but i bet it dirtied up the rings a bit and i would never do that again. The most I'd do is probably 11k tops with standard 15w-40. 17k likely stretched that oil too far but not that much. Overall i wouldn't panic. Change the diesel filter too.

Typical for businesses around here... fleets are seriously neglected

Disposal depreciated asset
I like taking the depreciation on new equipment just as much as the next business owner but what I like even more is not writing checks for $50k-$100k for new equipment because someone was too lazy (me) to set up and enforce a maintenance plan on the old equipment.

Buy some HPL Engine cleaner and start with a good synthetic going forward.

What's that?

Back