.22 LR Personal Defense Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that test, for a 2 legged defense the mini mag solid look the best to me. Penetration, and the stretch cavity. While stretch cavity may be debatable as to actual damage. I think the stretch cavity will reinforce ( let you know) that you have been shot. I think that when deer run , they run until their blood pressure drops, they don't know they have been shot.

A human may have a more of a psychological reaction to the knowledge that they have been shot. A moment of realization that may slow them down until their blood pressure drops.

All that goes out the window when they have drugs in their system.

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
agreed, any rim fire ammo can miss feed, stove pipe etc

if you carry a .22 or any rim fire I suggest you get a revolver, like this ultra reliable model

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-617-0

yes, it is expensive but will always fire and it holds 10 rounds

BOF isn't looking for a .22 handgun to use for PD, he's looking for ammo for one he just got.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
In that test, for a 2 legged defense the mini mag solid look the best to me. Penetration, and the stretch cavity.

I find it strange that a round nose, lower velocity CCI round would produce a bigger stretch cavity than the higher velocity hollow point.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 853okg
Hey, to be fair, at NO POINT during that 60 hour period was anyone in any danger of being attacked by Bobby Kennedy.

True. But the point of my example was to show the ineffectiveness of a .22 L.R. as a self defense cartridge. To the point it is laughable as to why anyone would choose it. If either Kennedy or Giancana were shot in the head that many times with any modern expanding high performance, self defense pistol round, they wouldn't have a head. In a self defense situation you cannot rely on head shots. The cartridge has to contain enough energy to stop quickly with center of mass, solid body hits. A .22 L.R. cannot reliably provide that. Regardless of the load.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've got one coyote broadside into the chest cavity with a hollow point 38gr at 40 yrds(which maybe handgun energy levels?) and it did go 100 yrds before it dropped, but that's was like 5 seconds.

Never been in such a situation, but I'd think that, in close quarters against a fire-armed opponent, 5 seconds could be a rather long time.

Plus people are bigger than coyotes

People can do 5 seconds with the pump house completely gone. Is what it is.

I think we all know this is not a man stopper round. Nobody, including the OP disagrees with that.
Still, Christopher McCandless took down a moose with it, and suffered no damage from the moose.
Point being, if I were unarmed and attack seemed imminent, and one were to throw me a firearm chambered in .22LR, I'd hardly throw it back at him.
(Unless I were looking to inflict as much damage as possible with it, right?)

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Anyone who thinks they can put multiple shots in a bad guy's face/head in a life threatening situation needs a reality check. Suppressed .22s used to kill people with rifles or pistols point blank have zero to do with self defense.

Exactly..not to mention that a SD situation means there is a chance of missing and hitting others. Anyone that has even a slight clue about SD situations knows two things..center of mass and enough firepower to quickly and effectively end the threat. I carry a .380 with good SD ammo. This is as light as you would possibly want to go.

Last edited:
I think alot of people dismiss the .22 Long rifle because of it's size but it's a accurate potent killer. A .25 auto now is truly a joke. This comes from actual shooting different types of backstops from different ranges and different ammo.
A .22 magnum is definitely a killer. I would not feel underarmed against anyone with anything with the Keltec PMR 30. That is a serious kill gun but again to the tactical crowd they just don't respect it.

Last edited:
I target shoot CCI 36 grain and certainly have plenty of confidence in them for SD from my 1911-22.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The truly amazing thing is this thread having legs 5 pages long.

It's call controversy.
wink.gif

BlueOval has been quiet lately so I had to look up his name in the roster to see if he was still a member. He is. Since his last comment was on page 3.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back