2023 Forester Wilderness "BEST" Oil

What are your opinions for the "BEST" Oil for a new 2023 Forester Wilderness? Any ol' 0w20 that meets the spec or something more high end? 🤔

well there is really no best oil brand,some may do somewhat better than others in your application ,look at change intervals and good filters as being most important (,proper service) ,what i do is purchase my own oil and filter of choice and take to a mechanic (or do it yourself),so you know what goes in ,and what viscosity used (0w-20) ,check owner's manual, (per climate and specs ) ,and keep your own records,,generally around 5-7k after break in of the engine (3k),,wallmart has a lot of different brands to choose from or you can mail order less popular brands that maybe better quality ,,look around on this site,though lots of good knowledge ,,,and opinions.

Consider what oil doesn't void your warranty. do you need receipts or for the dealer to do it? any popular brand of synthetic oil would be good.

What are your opinions for the "BEST" Oil for a new 2023 Forester Wilderness? Any ol' 0w20 that meets the spec or something more high end? 🤔
Best oil?

All of them. Or, none of them.
When you define the question "better", you'll get a "better" answer.

What's your planned OCI?
Going to do UOAs?
Price threshold?
Driving pattern; type of use?
Environmental exposure?
etc ...

Not to be rude, but you've been here since 2015 and don't know this already?

A dealership can not tell you, that you can’t perform your own oil changes of course it’s smart to keep all records of oil and filter purchases.

Best oil?

All of them. Or, none of them.
When you define the question "better", you'll get a "better" answer.

What's your planned OCI?
Going to do UOAs?
Price threshold?
Driving pattern; type of use?
Environmental exposure?
etc ...

Not to be rude, but you've been here since 2015 and don't know this already?
I kinda serious here.

Just lock the thread after your response. Talk about it with Mr Wilson.

Bob and Tony had it right. These threads lead to nowhereville and degrade the site.

IMHO.

My wife has a 22 Forester and I have been using the Idemitsu 0w20 because it's convenient to get through work and is the OE brand. If I just had to go get something from the store I would probably use Mobil 1.

We use Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 in the warmer months (85F summer high) and 0w20 in the colder (37F winter high) months. 2021 Forester. Enjoy your car!

With it being a NA engine with DI and you being in Cal, I like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 because it is readily available at a discount at the local auto parts stores. I am sure other reputable brands will be fine, Mobil is just what I prefer.

I used to run 0w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer in my '14 Outback. The 20w always caused noticeably noisier valve train, dealt with it because "winter". This winter I have switched to M1 AFE 0w-30 and valve train is back to what I call normal levels. I used to run Wix XP filters, now use Fram Endurance.

Back