2023 FLTRK Amsoil MCV 20W50, 5447 miles

Capture.JPG4.jpg

Shared wet sump clutch? Tin is elevated & copper a little bit but Iron is low as is aluminum. You're already running a really thick oil so nothing left to do except keep the wind through the hair..🏍️

Shared wet sump clutch? Tin is elevated & copper a little bit but Iron is low as is aluminum. You're already running a really thick oil so nothing left to do except keep the wind through the hair..🏍️
Nope clutch and engine is separate. The last 2 twin cam engines I had took about 20,000 miles for wear metals to drop where they should be. Hopefully this M8 is no different.

Nope clutch and engine is separate. The last 2 twin cam engines I had took about 20,000 miles for wear metals to drop where they should be. Hopefully this M8 is no different.
That's great! I've never owned one that was separate but it's good to hear & in my opinion it is better to separate them. You're almost to 20k. Was this your first analysis on this bike? You going to do more in the future to see if the metals are going down?

That's great! I've never owned one that was separate but it's good to hear & in my opinion it is better to separate them. You're almost to 20k. Was this your first analysis on this bike? You going to do more in the future to see if the metals are going down?
Yes, this was the first sample. Yes, I will take more samples in the future.

Looks good to me. The first thing I look at is viscosity. Yours is right in the middle for a 50 grade oil, so that’s good. Not sure about the tin but the magnesium looks OK from other UOA’s I’ve seen from Amsoil. Check out the link below. This guys has several UOA’s and his magnesium looks similar to yours. You could always sent in a VOA which would tell you how new oil looks as a comparison.

How many times has the oil been changed?

Looks good to me. The first thing I look at is viscosity. Yours is right in the middle for a 50 grade oil, so that’s good. Not sure about the tin but the magnesium looks OK from other UOA’s I’ve seen from Amsoil. Check out the link below. This guys has several UOA’s and his magnesium looks similar to yours. You could always sent in a VOA which would tell you how new oil looks as a comparison.

How many times has the oil been changed?

I agree, I think next oil change wear metals should be lower. I'm guessing Oil Analyzers has not been notified of changes in oil recipe??That guy is me.. Oil has been changed 5 times.

It looks like Amsoil just does not have much magnesium in it. Check out the UOA link below using M1 15W-50. The magnesium is 597. It’s used as a detergent so I would be to concerned about the little bit in yours.

Magnesium​

“Also used as a detergent and dispersant additive to maintain suspension of particulate matter, and occasionally used in certain alloys of steel. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.”

Magnesium​

“Also used as a detergent and dispersant additive to maintain suspension of particulate matter, and occasionally used in certain alloys of steel. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.”

I was looking around at other oil analysis and seen a wide number like 20 to 1700PPM of magnesium in different oils.

It looks like Amsoil just does not have much magnesium in it. Check out the UOA link below using M1 15W-50. The magnesium is 597. It’s used as a detergent so I would be to concerned about the little bit in yours.

One of the reasons that link shows higher magnesium is the fact they reduced calcium. OP has plenty of detergent via Calcium. There is no cause for concern here for OP's Amsoil.

One of the reasons that link shows higher magnesium is the fact they reduced calcium. OP has plenty of detergent via Calcium. There is no cause for concern here for OP's Amsoil.

I agree. I missed typed in post #9. I should have said, “I would not be too concerned”. Sorry for the confusion.

Back