2022 Jeep Wagoneer review

I saw one last night in the wild.
White with a front and rear black out sections..
It really does look ungainly on the road. No grace at all and rather frumpy looking going down the road.

I was beside it and the drivetrain noise was very loud and it appeared to be in a high rpm band even though it was cruising at around 50 mph. Not sure if that was the driver doing that or the norm.

I like bigger vehicles but this has no grace and the styling is a fail.
It just doesn't look good.
My dad borrowed our truck and accidentally hit the gear limit button on the wheel instead of the cruise, he was revving to the moon driving down the DVP, but, since my wife's truck has a Borla setup on it, he could clearly hear this but had no idea what he'd done, so he pulled over, put it in park, put it back in drive, and it seemed fine. He called me and told me about it when he got to the hospital and I told him what he had hit.

The gear limit buttons are on the wheel right below the section with cruise. So, it's quite possible that what you heard was the result of someone doing the same thing as my dad. Of course, he now knows what those buttons are, but didn't at the time.

And yes, it does look a bit ungainly, it's a very "big" looking vehicle, which is part of the reason my dad was a bit concerned about it and preferred the Grand Cherokee L.

Last edited:
Why this over a proven Chevy Tahoe?

This one looks like a Suburban from the side profile...
We don't do GM products in this family, my dad has sworn off them ever since we owned an '86 Olds Wagon which was a disaster. He bought an '89 Town Car at the insistence of my grandfather (my mom's dad) and he drove that for 15 years before I ended up with it. Their first Expedition was a lease in 1998, they liked it so much they bought one in 2000, which is the vehicle they are still driving currently. As a family, we've had very good experience with Ford products, I'm the only one who has gone the FCA route in recent years, due to the relationship with my buddy that owns the dealership.

Dad has no negative experiences with FCA/Stellantis products, so they are an option. He's borrowed both my Jeep and my wife's truck countless times now and liked driving both of them, so that helped. He doesn't like the Ford turbo V6 idea in the current Expedition/Navigator and would rather have a traditional V8, so that's another reason that these two vehicles are being considered.

Hey buddy….Extinguish the flames. I mean you no disrespect. What in the world? Appropriately named i suppose. Mr. 50 posts? What? Ouch. Lol give me a break cheif.
Actually, it was Mr. Tips ;)

No flames, just some sarcasm. People doing "google research" explains a lot about what goes on in the world today, because people are inherently poor filters of information and unable to discern statistical significance in what they find, leading to wild conclusions and baseless hot takes.

Internet Amplification coupled with the inclination towards irrational emotional response is how we end up with threads about how all the HEMI's have lifter failure for example, or how the Russians disturbing Chernobyl is going to result in the long shuttered plant somehow going off like an atomic bomb (which is impossible).

We don't do GM products in this family, my dad has sworn off them ever since we owned an '86 Olds Wagon which was a disaster. He bought an '89 Town Car at the insistence of my grandfather (my mom's dad) and he drove that for 15 years before I ended up with it. Their first Expedition was a lease in 1998, they liked it so much they bought one in 2000, which is the vehicle they are still driving currently. As a family, we've had very good experience with Ford products, I'm the only one who has gone the FCA route in recent years, due to the relationship with my buddy that owns the dealership.

Dad has no negative experiences with FCA/Stellantis products, so they are an option. He's borrowed both my Jeep and my wife's truck countless times now and liked driving both of them, so that helped. He doesn't like the Ford turbo V6 idea in the current Expedition/Navigator and would rather have a traditional V8, so that's another reason that these two vehicles are being considered.

Understand...

I have to say for the requirements you describe, I still think the Tahoe would be the best fit.

I feel the same way about Dodge/Chrysler, so again, I understand.

I like the looks of the Waggoner except from the rear axle line back. The odd angles and weird looking rear hatch just loses me. Silver trim in odd places and the letters strewn across the back dont look good to me.
I love the looks of my sons 2015 Grand Cherokee styling and I guess the boxiness of the Waggoner will take a while to get used to

Swearing off GM because of a bad car from 36 years ago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I feel like I remember a laundry list of repairs done to that 2000 Expedition.
There were two Expeditions, you might be thinking about mine (2002) as I haven't talked much about my parent's one on here. But, over 200,000 miles, the Expedition has been very reliable and reasonably cheap to operate, all things considered. Even ours was, keeping the mileage in mind.

And hey, that's how people work, lol. Dad's experience with that wagon and then positive experience with the Lincoln jaded him against GM and made him very pro Ford. My craptacular experience with that Subaru Forester XT definitely would make it hard for me to consider another Subaru product, and that was a whole heck of a lot shorter lived experience with a used vehicle, vs the decade+ debacle my parents had with that Olds.

Understand...

I have to say for the requirements you describe, I still think the Tahoe would be the best fit.

I feel the same way about Dodge/Chrysler, so again, I understand.
I think a GLE or X5 would also be a good option, but dad was immediately turned off by the lack of standard leather on the GLE, which just leaves the X5, and I think mom would find that no easier to get in/out of.

Dad really doesn't want a full size, so if he gets his way, this vehicle isn't even an option, he'd be more inclined towards the Grand Cherokee L or something similar in size. He loves driving my SRT, but mom can't get in it, at all, the door openings are too small, and the step too much for her to do. He doesn't want the third row, that's a compromise with my mom.

I like the looks of the Waggoner except from the rear axle line back. The odd angles and weird looking rear hatch just loses me. Silver trim in odd places and the letters strewn across the back dont look good to me.
I love the looks of my sons 2015 Grand Cherokee styling and I guess the boxiness of the Waggoner will take a while to get used to
Yeah, the new design language (which we see in the new Grand Cherokee and L model) definitely isn't as attractive as the WKII.

I was thinking the same thing lol.

I like the Wagoneer, but at $98k I'd have to take a close look at a Yukon Denali or Escalade.
I would have zero luck having dad even consider a GM product (or my mom, the wagon was hers) even if I were inclined to try. Just the way it is. They owned 2x GM wagons, the first was a Caprice, which wasn't awful, but rotted away quite quickly, the 2nd the Olds, which is what swore dad off GM ever since. If it could die on that car, it did, often multiple times. Dad was working part time teaching night courses and so they were not rolling in money either, and that car was a constant financial drain and point of significant stress. That experience; the psychology of it, left a scar. At 75, with the time he has left, there is nothing that would motivate me to try and work him over to try and change his mind. That would be a waste of my time and of his and be a potential sources of totally unnecessary stress, so I will work within the confines of what he's comfortable with and happy to discuss.

I brought both of these vehicles over to his house to try so that he wouldn't have to interact with a sales person, just to give you an idea of the situation here.

Their default was just an Expedition or Navigator (or Aviator perhaps, something a bit smaller) but they are really turned off by the turbo V6 idea, that's why both of these vehicles came up.

There were two Expeditions, you might be thinking about mine (2002) as I haven't talked much about my parent's one on here. But, over 200,000 miles, the Expedition has been very reliable and reasonably cheap to operate, all things considered. Even ours was, keeping the mileage in mind.

And hey, that's how people work, lol. Dad's experience with that wagon and then positive experience with the Lincoln jaded him against GM and made him very pro Ford. My craptacular experience with that Subaru Forester XT definitely would make it hard for me to consider another Subaru product, and that was a whole heck of a lot shorter lived experience with a used vehicle, vs the decade+ debacle my parents had with that Olds.
Totally understand anyone afraid to buy a Chevy who have been burned. Even though all have certain issues. Its all choices we must make based on experience. In the car hobby I was Chevelles / Olds or Pontiacs always but never "my brand better." I still love all of them. Don't mean buy them all.

I got off the General's fleet due to the poor quality 1986 Monte Carlo SS that we loved. We did not love putting in a new transmission at 56,000 mi and the rear quarter all of a sudden revealing flaking rust under the paint. Plus this was a new car we paid for rust-prevent treatment before taking delivery. It got me thinking. I hate to admit this. Every GMC vehicle I have owned (except) one pick up and my very last Chevelle 76 model had transmission work required under 70,000 mi. Most also had the rust before 80,000 mi. So I moved on to Ford for trucks and Honda cars ever since.
Please, No heads explode. I know ALL brands are head and shoulders better quality all around today.

Boxiness is relative. Don't forget the fine Jeep Commander. The new Wagoneer isn't terrible.
018902_2010_Jeep_Commander.jpg

Maybe try a Durango? Seems like its the same vehicle as the Wagoneer but looks better and costs less? Maybe even a used one to avoid all the touch screen mumbo jumbo... If they are happy driving a 2000 Expedition, having a full on star trek interface seems almost a deal breaker.
Unless they have voice commands implemented? "Computer, front window defrost, max power, engage" ;)
uss wagoneer.jpg

Maybe try a Durango? Seems like its the same vehicle as the Wagoneer but looks better and costs less? Maybe even a used one to avoid all the touch screen mumbo jumbo... If they are happy driving a 2000 Expedition, having a full on star trek interface seems almost a deal breaker.
Unless they have voice commands implemented? "Computer, front window defrost, max power, engage" ;)
View attachment 94867
Durango is like a 3 row GC, about the same size as the Grand Cherokee L. It's still based on the WKII right now though.

Back