2021 Toyota Highlander 3.5L, TGMO 0W-20 full synth 5022 miles

This vehicle has less than 12,000 miles on the odo, and this sample was taken cold through the dipstick tube. The oil change was done at the dealer at around 3000 miles and again at 6800 miles. Sure seems like a lot of metal for 5000 miles on the third fill.

Last edited:
Don't be alarmed about the high reading. This is normal to have high readings for break-in mileage. It will trend down. You could just change your oil a bit more frequently for the next few cycles if you'd like. Then maybe start sampling again after 10k-20k more miles. It will be lower.

Thanks for the reassurance, but, look at this UOA.

Many of the UOA of the Toyota 3.5L look nothing like mine. My numbers are shocking. My oil looks like it could be the factory fill and has never been changed.

Many of the UOA of the Toyota 3.5L look nothing like mine. My numbers are shocking. This oil looks like it could be the factory fill and has never been changed.
Your engine is different being port and direct injected at the same time. 2GR-FKS

Many of the UOA of the Toyota 3.5L look nothing like mine. My numbers are shocking. My oil looks like it could be the factory fill and has never been changed.
I understand your concern but break-in wear is going to vary from truck to truck. The long term trends may be more similar between other Toyota's. You just can't compare them yet.

Your engine is different being port and direct injected at the same time. 2GR-FKS
Thanks for that info cptbarkey, I didn't realize my engine was selectively using direct and port injection. That will probably be expensive someday if it needs fixed. I'm getting the oil changed one more time at the dealer next week since Blackstone noted the TBN is 2. Then I will begin doing my own OCi.

I own a 2GRFE, once that thing is broken is you’re going to love it. And you’re going to love UOA’s on that thing because it’s going to appear as if the engine just doesn’t wear.

Those numbers do look a bit high to me, but then again its rare to see UOA’s with new engines, most people won’t do one until they’re up over 20,000 miles. It’s under warranty, I’m sure the thing is fine, but be reassured you are covered if something is going wrong. I’d try again at 25,000 miles.

Imagine had you not changed the oil until 10k on the factory fill… 😳🫣😬🤦🏻‍♂️

It still seems like a lot of metal shedding during “break-in” regardless of the fact that it’s a “young” engine with less then 60k miles.

I’m a firm believer that you can tell how good an engine was assembled by analyzing the first few oil drains.

Actual engine parts wear in happens within the first few HUNDRED miles at the most. All subsequent oil changes should see decreases in metals since no more is being produced and it’s washing out.

After 3 oil changes, no break-in stuff should still be there on a good healthy engine, in my opinion.

OP, you may be getting a bad read due to the way you are getting the sample. If this were mine, I would do a partial hot drain to get a sample. Not fun, but it would attempt to eliminate the possibility of a false sample. I agree it looks like the first oil change. So much silicon and iron.

Imagine had you not changed the oil until 10k on the factory fill… 😳🫣😬🤦🏻‍♂️

It still seems like a lot of metal shedding during “break-in” regardless of the fact that it’s a “young” engine with less then 60k miles.

I’m a firm believer that you can tell how good an engine was assembled by analyzing the first few oil drains.

Actual engine parts wear in happens within the first few HUNDRED miles at the most. All subsequent oil changes should see decreases in metals since no more is being produced and it’s washing out.

After 3 oil changes, no break-in stuff should still be there on a good healthy engine, in my opinion.
I'm a firm believer you cant tell anything until about 75k. have an engine wears over time will tell you how good of an engine it is. the best engines a designed such that the surfaces mate and wear drops to nothing.

Back