2021 Chevy Duramax fuel filter in use for 13,000 miles

In any other 'application' a filter that clean would have people shouting, "Double the interval".
I suppose one bad load of fuel can whack one of those filters.
Changing is just "aggressive preventative maintenance" in a diesel.
This filter was ready for a change IMO. Diesel fuel is not up to the same gold standards as Gasoline. There are many "Top Tier" gasoline stations but zilch of diesel fuel.

Interesting that diesel sellers don't wrap themselves in lab coats as gasoline sellers often do.

I know from reading the English Volvo board (lots of diesel vehicles) changing diesel filters is an ongoing maintenance operation.

Again, I suppose one LULU of a fill-up can louse you up good.

This filter was ready for a change IMO. Diesel fuel is not up to the same gold standards as Gasoline. There are many "Top Tier" gasoline stations but zilch of diesel fuel.
Costco diesel pumps in Portland Oregon has a sticker on it that claims "top tier".

The problem with extending the fuel filter change interval is low fuel flow when the filter starts to become plugged. You do not want this to happen, because you're pretty much parked until you can get a new fuel filter.
Or water in the fuel. Had that happen on my 2013 LML, when I had one. I changed my filter every 10-15k. Big money and a pain in the ass. I will never buy another new diesel. You cant skimp on fuel filters on a new diesel for sure.

Or water in the fuel. Had that happen on my 2013 LML, when I had one. I changed my filter every 10-15k. Big money and a pain in the ass. I will never buy another new diesel. You cant skimp on fuel filters on a new diesel for sure.
Similar to if you’re gonna be dumb you better be tough, if you’re gonna own a diesel you better be ready for maintenance costs. IMO I would not trade my diesel for a gas pulling my 36’ TT. It comes in around 11K pounds. The truck handles this load without a blink and gets 10 to 11 MPG at 70MPH

Just my $0.02

Similar to if you’re gonna be dumb you better be tough, if you’re gonna own a diesel you better be ready for maintenance costs. IMO I would not trade my diesel for a gas pulling my 36’ TT. It comes in around 11K pounds. The truck handles this load without a blink and gets 10 to 11 MPG at 70MPH

Just my $0.02
Agreed, better be ready to pay the maintenance cost., but 60 bucks for a fuel filter, come on, you know?

Agreed, better be ready to pay the maintenance cost., but 60 bucks for a fuel filter, come on, you know?
This is why I added the Throttle Up Industries kit on my Cummins. The OEM Fleetguard/Mopar filter is changed every other time and the cheaper steel spin on filters from Fleetguard every time. Interval is roughly 10k miles.

Realize $60 is nothing compared to a HPCR system.

Just my $0.02

W2,

Assuming you are using your truck primarily for towing a fifth wheel, and special projects. Assumption is this truck in not a daily driver.

If assumptions happen to be accurate- what proactive steps are you taking to keep the truck's fuel system tight? Everything I am reading suggests diesels have to be run very regularly, or the truck is exposed to fuel system related issues, especially later model diesels requiring DPF.

W2,

Assuming you are using your truck primarily for towing a fifth wheel, and special projects. Assumption is this truck in not a daily driver.

If assumptions happen to be accurate- what proactive steps are you taking to keep the truck's fuel system tight? Everything I am reading suggests diesels have to be run very regularly, or the truck is exposed to fuel system related issues, especially later model diesels requiring DPF.
GON, I don't believe that to be true. I think daily driving an emissions diesel for short trips is worse than letting them sit. The key to modern diesels is getting them up to temperature so the emissions system can work appropriately. If @wwillson is using the truck "hard" when he uses it then I think it will solve any issues from it sitting around.

Of course moisture (condensation) in fuel could be a concern with sitting, but the fuel filter should take care of that pretty quickly.

Just my $0.02

This is correct, I do not use it as a daily driver. The truck sits in the garage when it's not used. I do drive it at least once every 10 days.

what proactive steps are you taking to keep the truck's fuel system tight?
What does "tight" mean?

Everything I am reading suggests diesels have to be run very regularly, or the truck is exposed to fuel system related issues, especially later model diesels requiring DPF
If you daily drive a diesel with a DPF and don't pay attention to regens, meaning that you shut the truck off during a regen, then you're likely to have troubles. I have never heard that if you don't drive the truck regularly, then you'll have fuel system problems.

GON, I don't believe that to be true. I think daily driving an emissions diesel for short trips is worse than letting them sit. The key to modern diesels is getting them up to temperature so the emissions system can work appropriately. If @wwillson is using the truck "hard" when he uses it then I think it will solve any issues from it sitting around.

Of course moisture (condensation) in fuel could be a concern with sitting, but the fuel filter should take care of that pretty quickly.

Just my $0.02
TNT,

My (erroneous) assumption was from an article I read stating that the DPF fluid deteriorates (crystalizes) over time while sitting, and the diesel fuel is at risk for sitting because of quality of the fuel. The theme from the article is a diesel pickup needs to be run frequently- should not be a summer vehicle and a garage queen the rest of the year.

This is correct, I do not use it as a daily driver. The truck sits in the garage when it's not used. I do drive it at least once every 10 days.

What does "tight" mean?

If you daily drive a diesel with a DPF and don't pay attention to regens, meaning that you shut the truck off during a regen, then you're likely to have troubles. I have never heard that if you don't drive the truck regularly, then you'll have fuel system problems.
W2,

Thanks- my posted to TNT better clarifies what I thought and why. Seems like I didn't grasp the articles message, or the message may not have been holistically accurate. You positing you drive you truck at least once every ten days also helps provide some directions on how I should run my diesel. I usually let my trucks sit for months at a time- with a diesel F350 I may need to adjust that.

TNT,

My (erroneous) assumption was from an article I read stating that the DPF fluid deteriorates (crystalizes) over time while sitting, and the diesel fuel is at risk for sitting because of quality of the fuel. The theme from the article is a diesel pickup needs to be run frequently- should not be a summer vehicle and a garage queen the rest of the year.
GON you are correct in that DEF has a shelf life. If I had a DEF truck I would not keep the tank full. I’d add some as needed. Most truck stops have bulk DEF so it’s readily available.

Personally I think occasionally driving a modern Diesel “hard” is better than driving it daily for short distances.

DEF and DPF are different. I think you understand that based on your last post.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: GON
Glad my 2012 Cummins Ram doesn’t have DEF.
My brother's new 2021 Ram had the DEF pump replaced 5 times. The DEF quality (density) sensor is built into the pump and Dodge got a bad batch. Luckily all replacements were under warranty, but the truck was out of service for several months total. Not tolerable to a business owner.

Last edited:
My brother's new 2021 Ram had the DEF pump replaced 5 times. The DEF quality (density) sensor is built into the pump and Dodge got a bad batch. Luckily all replacements were under warranty, but the truck was out of service for several months total. Not tolerable to a business owner.
Dang Rona vehicles! I told my wife we won’t be buying anything from late 2020 to late 2022. The supply shortages and supply challenges were just too much IMO.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Back