2020 Pentastar forward plans

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
In my mix of Ford’s and Chevy’s I now how a 2013 and 2020 3.6L Mopar … 2013 is a short tripper … 2020 more combined
I hear lots about GM’s 3.6L chains (think it’s a new design now) … but do folks still shorten up because of Pentastar chains … new book says you can go 9k on 0w20 ?
Have a good stash of M1 AP, RGT, and VME (and Fram XG) … not worried about Chrysler specs … any Dexos is just as good IMO

What are folks running in these …

In my 2019 3.6L Wrangler I ran Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 with no issues and the UOAs came back great. I'm trying a run of Rotella 5w-30 this summer because of the heat, towing a small travel trailer, off roading, etc. No issues so far.

In my 2019 3.6L Wrangler I ran Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 with no issues and the UOAs came back great. I'm trying a run of Rotella 5w-30 this summer because of the heat, towing a small travel trailer, off roading, etc. No issues so far.
Good info … going to stick with 0w20 in the Rubicon for a while since that’s 75% of the stash and now have a TDI Mustang that needs 5w30 more IMO …
what was OCI on RGT ?

We have a 2014 with about 90k and I have used almost every major brand of synthetic 5w20 in it. It is not a picky engine, I do OCI of about 7.5-8k usually when the OLM gets to about 15%.

I had a 2010 Ram 4.7 (Known timing chain and sludge issues). I and the subsequent owner followed the OLM with PYB Conventional and it has 200,000 mi plus on the original timing set. I think the Pentastar will be fine on 0W20 Syn following the OLM.

I have an 18 Caravan that I was following severe of 4k miles give or take 500 miles and I noticed oil was holding up fine according to the stick. It was dirty but not black and filter looked good. I am now following OLM as I do 7k average a year with Synthetic oil. I don't foresee any problems.

I had a 2013 and a 2017 pentastar. I ran mostly 5w30 in them. Sometimes 5w20 in the winter.

You don't hear of timing chain issues with them unless you consider the thread with the 620k mile one.

Rocker arm and occasional lifter issues yes.

Love the pentastar. My only dislike is the oil filter housing assembly. It will leak or crack at some point.

In my mix of Ford’s and Chevy’s I now how a 2013 and 2020 3.6L Mopar … 2013 is a short tripper … 2020 more combined
I hear lots about GM’s 3.6L chains (think it’s a new design now) … but do folks still shorten up because of Pentastar chains … new book says you can go 9k on 0w20 ?
Have a good stash of M1 AP, RGT, and VME (and Fram XG) … not worried about Chrysler specs … any Dexos is just as good IMO

What are folks running in these …

I run Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 and a Mopar filter until the OCI comes on, on the EVIC in my wife's 2014 T&C with the 3.6L. It was just over 9,000 miles last oil change. I just posted a sample in the UOA section on my wife's van after 4,500 miles (copied the link below). I figure if the engine is designed to go 9,000 miles on conventional oil then 9,000 miles on synthetic should be a non-issue...

Reactions: JTK
This! I have (16) 2015 Caravans in my fleet at work and every one of them have developed this between 80,000 - 100,000 miles.

Yes its a very good idea to put a mark on it and tighten to it.
almost everyone overtightens the housing.

Reactions: JTK
I am currently running EXP 0W30 in my 2016 Wrangler. Going forward I will be sticking with ESP, probably 5W30.

Reactions: 4WD
0w20 in mine, and i am now doing about 7500 on an OCI. I'm guessing mine would be around 8k to 8300 if I went to zero on the OLM. Good UOAs so far on Mobil 1 EP, AP, and a run of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I've got Shell RGT in it now. I've got a jug of M1 AP on deck. I think 9k would be a cake walk with any of these oils. I run 0w20.

The 625k Pentastar ran 8k OCI's I believe on Valvoline 5w20, and I'm guessing it was synthetic but it may have been conventional. The engine looked very clean inside and showed little wear except for the timing chains and broken timing chain guides.

What a great engine it really is! I'm VERY glad it isn't DI. It has plenty of power, is efficient, and easy on oil. I think I'll go full OLM runs just to reduce stress on the oil filter assembly. Not sure if they changed anything on it with the gen 2 (PUG), or not. But I torque the filter cap to spec, so hopefully that will help to avoid that problem. If not, no worries. It has a lifetime warranty.

I am currently running EXP 0W30 in my 2016 Wrangler. Going forward I will be sticking with ESP, probably 5W30.
Did an early change for M1 Truck/SUV (clearance) and think it’s 30% PAO and a decent lube (other than marketing) … but I don’t do two early changes and motor saw a well balanced break in …

Did an early change for M1 Truck/SUV (clearance) and think it’s 30% PAO and a decent lube (other than marketing) … but I don’t do two early changes and motor saw a well balanced break in …
Great choice of oil, and a great engine! I opted for the early change routine, that's how I was taught, and it's a habit that isn't going to die, at least for me. ;)

Trav and I discussed ESP several times, and we came to the conclusion it is tough to beat. Our discussions combined with some reading, and imo ESP is the best lube offered by XOM, and probably one of the best lubes on the market. As always opinions vary. Drive that Jeep in good health!

Reactions: JC1
In my 2015 caravan I've used VWB 5w-30, Valvoline SynPower 5w-20, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20.

No issues with any of the oil I've used in the motor.

yep the 2020 ram hemi will be getting Rotella gas truck 5w20 for the next 3-5 years with current stash.
Might do the first one at 2k or 3k miles.. always like to do the first change early.

I might rock auto a dozen filters too.. they are very cheap if you can spread the shipping cost out over 10 filters.

Back