2020 Corvette C8 Reveal TONIGHT (18 July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I like it.

Got internet back … classic move to put a red, white, and blue model on the floor together …
Going to get interesting when the high end versions start the track attack …

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I like it.

Yeah, aside from the steering wheel and Berlinetta switches it's a neat car. Bet it's fun.

Mid-engine, 495 HP 6.2 small block dry-sump V8, 8 speed DCT, 0-60 UNDER 3.0 seconds (with the Z51 package) and starting UNDER $60k. Absolutely incredible ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Last edited:
I think it's looks pretty nice, which means with time it will probably look even better. Usually most people don't like the looks of newly designed cars. One heck of an effort by Chevy. And blew me away when he said the starting base price will be under $60K.

Finally! A world class car, the only thing they could improve on IMO is the engine, that primitive pushrod design needs to go into the bin with the front engine chassis.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would think that steering wheel is an ergonomic disaster.

Looks like Ferrari uses the same disaster.
[Linked Image]

Lower cost and lower CG … They can drop that DOHC twin snail in when they are ready …
I'm sure they would have tested with that engine already … decided not to put it in for 2020 …

Originally Posted by Trav
Finally! A world class car, the only thing they could improve on IMO is the engine, that primitive pushrod design needs to go into the bin with the front engine chassis.

Yeah, they definitely should dump their compact, efficient, light, powerful and inexpensive V8 that's one of the core competencies of GM. ...„. There's a reason "LS-Swaps" are the most popular engine swap in the world - they're spectacular engines.

Jokes aside, the latest rumor for a Z06 is a twin-turbo DOHC V8 for a Z06/ZR1.

I wouldn't want to do work on the engine because it looks like access would be bad in that body. Would probably have to drop the engine from the bottom to even work on it.

The Ford GT had the whole back end open up, so engine access was real good on that mid engine car.

Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by Trav

Yeah, they definitely should dump their compact, efficient, light, powerful and inexpensive V8 that's one of the core competencies of GM. ...„. There's a reason "LS-Swaps" are the most popular engine swap in the world - they're spectacular engines.

Jokes aside, the latest rumor for a Z06 is a twin-turbo DOHC V8 for a Z06/ZR1.

Pushrod engines are very close to EOL and the LS is no exception but it is inexpensive and so are the parts making it a good swap engine. I wouldn't go as far as to call it spectacular, its not a bad engine at all but nothing special IMO.

This type of car deserves better and I am sure as soon as the bugs are out of the Blackwing a variant of it will find its way into the new vette and the old pushrod engines relegated to truck/SUV duty which is perfectly suited for a 2v V8.

V8, mid-engined, allegedly 1.00G on the skidpad on all-seasons, 0-60 in 3 seconds right at $60k...this is a [censored] of a car for the money. We all know GM can design a world class handling chassis so this thing is really going to be a wake up call to Ford and the 'exotic' producers.

Exterior is nice, interior is very terrible. Steering wheel is ugly.

What's with the gigantic center console divider ????????

They should have copied Porsche / M powered BMW interiors. I'm very disappointed with new Corvette interior.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
I notice that they spec. dexos2 0w40 synthetic oil.......not 20 or even 30 weight.....

Nah, what that engine really wants is a Frankenbrew of 0W20, 15W40 HDEO, and 20W50 VR1 with a bottle of Lucas and a can of Restore with CSL.
That way you get 0W for cold starts (like below 70F), 50 for the track, and you can put a million miles on the engine like a semi can do.
The Lucas keeps the watery 0W20 from ruining the engine and the Restore gives you UOAs with metals that no one else will have.
;^)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I like the exterior look of the new Corvette...the text indicates the steering wheel is partly to give a better view of the dash??
The cockpit looks extremely claustrophobic to me, but I am usually cramped in cars and I think my '96 Outback was the only vehicle I have owned that really let me sprawl out...maybe the '76 Nova, too, I can't remember.
I am sure this thing will take off like greased lightning and corner like it's on rails. Guess we will have to see how the enthusiasts respond to the new layout and the lack of a manual option!

I noticed a quote in the CNN coverage from Mark Reuss, the GM exec who crashed a Corvette pace car in Detroit...I hope they didn't let him drive this new car in front of the media.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Exterior is nice, interior is very terrible. Steering wheel is ugly.

What's with the gigantic center console divider ????????

They should have copied Porsche / M powered BMW interiors. I'm very disappointed with new Corvette interior.
frown.gif

The big divider and the big screen to the right of the steering wheel, makes the interior look like the inside of a cop car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back