2019 Toyota 4Runner, Castrol Edge 0W-20, 7508 oci, 44678 odo

1st time doing an oil analysis. I was a bit concerned about the number and frequency of short trips, as my daily commute has changed over this past year. Looks like I didn't need to worry, but nice to know.

Attachments

• 19 T4R Castrol Edge 0W-20.jpg
    19 T4R Castrol Edge 0W-20.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 453
Interesting viscosity result for a 0W20. Oxidative thickening? Flashpoint <400 would seem to indicate a viscosity closer to the 7.0 range. 🤷‍♂️

In this case I'd say the oil is reaching the end of it's useful life but not quite yet.

"One other thing... Most folks would consider an engine oil to be shot when the TBN reaches 2 - 3. This isn't actually the case. An oil can function quite happily with a TBN of zero. The thing you have to remember is that oil formulators don't tend to focus directly on stuff like TBN depletion, acid formation or oil oxidation. What they're really concerned with is the onset of exponential viscosity increase. For many of the lengthy, industry standard engine based oxidation tests, it's both impractical and uneconomic to just use over based detergent to control oxidation. Given how fast it can deplete, you might need an oil with a starting TBN of around 20 to keep the TBN above 2 at the end of the test! For this reason, modern oils contain a cocktail of various Antioxidant chemistries, each of which plays a role in keeping the oil from 'breaking' long after the TBN reserve has been exhausted. Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong per se with changing out your oil when the TBN hits 2 - 3 but if you do a UOA, and find the oil's TBN is zero, it's not something to freak out about."

Last edited:
Sure you didn't put 5W30 in there?

If it was 0W20 then 7500mile OCI is your limit.

What Filter in use? Toyota Denso?
Previous fill was 5W-30 Havoline Pro-DS, which ran great by the way. Same fuel economy. The Toyota Service Manual notes there will be @ 0.9 quarts of old oil remaining when you drain the oil and replace the filter.

This was my first run with Castrol Edge 0W-20. I use oem Toyota oil filters.

been running 5w30 or 0w30 forever in my 4R. 0w20 always made my engine sound loud, it def got quieter switching to that oil

Last edited:
Mine runs quiet on a couple different 0W-20's such as Havoline Pro DS, and the current fill which is Shell Gas Truck. I bought the Shell a couple years ago, and just got around to using it. I'm kinda disappointed to see it's been discontinued, as I would definitely buy it again.

It sounded like a locomotive on Mobil 1 AFE. I don't know if there is any correlation between how noisy or quiet it runs with how well the oil protects your engine, but it was annoying enough that I won't use it again.

Back