2019 (2020?) RAM HD Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
This new truck is supposedly about 140 lbs lighter than the previous generation like my '17 Dually, that is otherwise equipped the same as this truck. So with those two guys likely adding 500+ lbs to the overall weight, I'd guess they are pretty close to 9200 lbs rolling down the road empty. Running 80 mph for hundreds of miles in a heavy, unaerodynamic, not yet broken-in truck with a 4.10 axle ratio, and a 43k GCVWR, 15.2 mpg is pretty good.

Ram and Chevy both try hard every year to get a leg up on Ford. Just when they think they're closing in for the kill
Big Blue Oval Boys pull away again.
There a reason Ford builds and sell more trucks than any other brand. Ford trucks rule !!!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘...†...†...†ðŸ
Numbers don't lie
AND
Ford is the only HD truck brand that builds it own engine and transmission in house

GM= Isuzu / Allison
Ram = Cummins / Asian
Ford = ALL FORD ðŸ

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Ford is the only HD truck brand that build it own engine and transmission in house

Engine-wise, that's entirely due to the fiasco with International for the VT365/6.0L Powerstroke and the MF7/6.4L.

One cannot, while keeping a straight face, take a swipe at RAM for continuing to use the excellent Cummins engines, that would be utterly stupid.

Transmission-wise, Ford has, since the 4R100, made some absolutely excellent transmissions that were, to put it kindly, mated to some less than perfect engines. The termination of the relationship with International led to the creation of the Scorpion engine which has, aside from the Bosch pump issues, been, AFAIK, quite good. Ford has an extremely competent engineering team and if left to their own devices can produce some fantastic equipment but they are certainly not infallible.

Remember that the Duramax came of age during a period where Ford was selling the 6.0L PSD. Mating it to an Allison transmission also was a pretty good move for GM, capitalizing on that name, like Dodge always did with Cummins. And of course Allison was a GM brand at the time.

And with all that said
What's your main point exactly 🤔🤔🤔
We're talking about new 2019/2020 truck here
Not what happen 10 years ago
If Ram and GM were all the [censored] they want the consumer to believe they are then make your on products and not use contract pieces from other company's
Ford learned that lesson well and made them a better company and truck for it

Last edited:
And with all that said
If Ram and GM were all the [censored] they want the consumer to believe they are then make your on products and not use contract pieces from other company's

My main point is taking digs at a company for utilizing components from manufacturers that make OTR truck parts is stupid. Is that blunt enough? Ford got burned by International, which FORCED them to go in-house since CAT pulled out of the OTR truck market and they had considered a relationship with them at one point.

To address your main criticisms:
- The Duramax was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, who had a lot of small diesel building experience
- The Allison transmission choice was a logical one, since GM owned Allison at the time. They didn't step "outside" their brand, which appears to be your main critique
- Dodge has no history of building Diesels, they've always purchased them from Cummins, and that relationship has served them well. This is no different than Ford's relationship with International before it went sideways. Unless you want to call the 7.3L PSD/DT444 junk now?
- Given Dodge's rather spotty history of in-house transmission design, them outsourcing that component is a plus, not a minus. Both my FCA products are backed by the excellent ZF 8spd, which has a far better reputation than many produced in-house by other marques.

Your post appears to be designed to stir the pot, but it just came off as fanboy nonsense. I've been driving Ford products since I was able, have built multiple Mustangs, have extensive history with most of their engines and have built numerous worked Windsors. I grew up in a Ford family and am generally a very big fan of the brand. I drive FCA products at the moment because I get a wicked deal on them because I do the IT for my dealer, and nobody else save Mercedes and BMW puts this kind of jam in an SUV this size. Take a moment to step outside your echo chamber, you might find it refreshing.

Ram and Chevy both try hard every year to get a leg up on Ford. Just when they think they're closing in for the kill
There a reason Ford builds and sell more trucks than any other brand. Ford trucks rule !!!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘...†...†...†ðŸ
Numbers don't lie
AND
Ford is the only HD truck brand that builds it own engine and transmission in house

GM= Isuzu / Allison
Ram = Cummins / Asian
Ford = ALL FORD ðŸ

Geeze, you're not one of those 12 year old fan boy kids I see commenting on all brand specific videos are you?

The comments are always the same: My dad drives (they leave that part out) a Ford, GM, RAM, and all other makes suck...

The fact is they all have their potential issues.

Ford has had their share of issues with the in-house "Scorpion" Diesel engine. Turbo's, HPFP's, exhaust valves, radiators, glowplugs, etc. Not to mention emissions components.

BTW, it's Aisin.

I sided outside 40 years ago and got burned by GM products that's were poor quality and overpriced as they still are today
Thanks to GM I bought my first Ford in 1978 and glad I did

I sided outside 40 years ago and got burned by GM products that's were poor quality and overpriced as they still are today
Thanks to GM I bought my first Ford in 1978 and glad I did

And that's fine, my experience with GM vehicles has been less than stellar as well, but I don't fault them for using the Allison, it's an excellent transmission.

Nobody stating fault just facts
But facts in today's world is offensive to most people

I don't think anybody's offended, it's just silly to trot out that Ford produces their engine/tranny combo in-house like it's a redeeming feature. Most shopping the RAM do so because of the Cummins, not despite it. Most shopping the GM consider the Allison as a selling point.

Numbers don't lie
AND

GM= Isuzu / Allison
Ram = Cummins / Asian
Ford = ALL FORD ðŸ

Ford trucks rule because they finally got it OK after screwing everything up multiple times?

I'm many times a Ford truck owner. I'd love to tell you how exactly Ford 3/4 and 1 ton trucks "ruling" is a VERY recent development.

Ford isn't an HD truck brand. They make light duty and medium duty trucks. Or is the Aeromax back in production?

And with all that said

Most of the actual heavy duty trucks out there do not have "in house" engines and transmissions.

You are able to eat, drink, and live due to trucks with "contract" engines and transmissions. When has this ever been a detriment?

Are you aware that even "in house" designs are made up or a large part of contract parts that get OEM numbers and symbols stamped on them?

Nobody stating fault just facts
But facts in today's world is offensive to most people

Let's get it correct: Facts (some inaccurate), with tons of opinion poured on.

Numbers don't lie
AND

GM= Isuzu / Allison
Ram = Cummins / Asian
Ford = ALL FORD ðŸ

I like the feel of an inline diesel engine better.

My opinion is based of this: I have 112,000km on my current 2016 F150 and near that on the previous 2013. I will not buy one and with the current build quality and design, I would not touch the new Super Duty because of this. In our fleet of 3, we had multiple vacuum hubs let go, 2 rear ends grenade (1 failed bearing and 1 axle tube separate), radios, back up cameras that fail with out warning, 5.0 cam phaser and solenoid failures. Hey look my truck has a lopey idle, poor fuel economy and stalls randomly. Oh and their handling is sub par. Never had a truck dance you off the road when hitting wash boards like the good ol' F150.

They offer poor ergonomics, poor switch gear locations, all this tech that requires the use of numerous ill placed small buttons. You have time to take out a second job waiting for it to shift between drive and reverse or vice versa. Oh and their power window safety feature is the pinnacle of safety. Takes several tries while driving down the road to actually get the window to roll up and stay up. Its safer to text and drive then operate the windows.

But they have an in house engine and transmission. Great.

Vacuum hubs are the Devil's creation. What's worse in them is those tiny needle bearings that support the axle stub shafts. Done plenty of them. $$$$$$$$$$$ to save a MPG.

Yeah, it's great that you can completely blow a U-Joint and keep going, but that's only when it works.

All that wrong with 3 trucks ...³...³...³...³...³
I call BS

Trade em off and buy a YUGO

Dude your blowning smoke out your butt you can't prove
It's your computer screen talking you can't back up
Your the typical blow hard on social media who runs his mouth with no proof

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back