2018 Highlander V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: ls973800
Vacuum pump replacement discussion for the 2017 Highlander Yes it is over $900.00 with $1200.00 list price

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/1525626-vacuum-pump.html

Go Toyota! Reliability rulz
crackmeup2.gif

Please tell us how your vehicles don't need any maintenance whatsoever.

In case it wasn't obvious, he was simply making fun of the mantra often peddled on here that Toyota vehicles regularly go 300,000 miles with nothing more than tires and oil changes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

In case it wasn't obvious, he was simply making fun of the mantra often peddled on here that Toyota vehicles regularly go 300,000 miles with nothing more than tires and oil changes.

I guess the joke flew over my head. Since I usually work on Toyota vehicles and despite them spouting out saying they are the most reliable they still need a bit of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I guess the joke flew over my head. Since I usually work on Toyota vehicles and despite them spouting out saying they are the most reliable they still need a bit of maintenance.

No problem, you'd have to have been a part of those dialogues to pick up on it
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: bobbobtar
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would not hesitate to buy one. But keep in mind that Toyota V6s are more difficult to work on than Honda V6s, and the new D4S V6 engine requires new spark plugs every 60k (manifold removal required) and a new vacuum pump every 120k.

I just looked at my 2017 Highlander maintenance manual, spark plugs replace at 120,000 miles, no mention of vacuum pump replacement. What are you basing this on?

The Highlander uses the 2GR-FKS engine.

The #1 most critical maintenance item is "Check installation of driver's floormat"
I love it
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: ls973800
Vacuum pump replacement discussion for the 2017 Highlander Yes it is over $900.00 with $1200.00 list price

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/1525626-vacuum-pump.html

Go Toyota! Reliability rulz
crackmeup2.gif

Technically... wouldn't it be still Toyota reliable? Toyota is saying, replace this at this point, before it fails--that way it won't leave you stranded. Places it in the same category as timing belts, and probably any belt under the hood too. Plugs etc. Reliable meaning it doesn't fail to start or staying running--reliable doesn't mean "cheap to run" over the long haul.

[Not that I'm buying one. Not sure why this item can't be designed to be lifetime. But perhaps they've identified something that has a sub-par MTBF, and have put that up front in the manual. Now it's just like a timing belt: the purchaser can take this expected "repair" into consideration when buying.]

Quality, reliability, and maintenance. Three different words with three different meanings that often get conflated.

If you enter the purchase accounting for this, maintenance should yield reliability.

The following doesn't apply as much anymore but in the 1980's-2000's the Japanese brands had a better reputation for quality which often yielded better reliability without as much maintenance. Conversely, there are many here who have proven that American brands whose quality was lower can be every bit as reliable with proper maintenance. Again, that doesn't apply as much anymore but shows how the conflation of the terms can start to happen.

As a side note, I had a friend recently give me a tour of his '17 Highlander. Nice vehicle but the way Toyota integrates the nannies and/or controls features for 'safety' was a big turn-off (no pun intended).

Hi gofast182, per your comment, "...but the way Toyota integrates the nannies and/or controls features for 'safety' was a big turn-off (no pun intended)." With an 18-year old van, I don't have much experience with the new safety systems - I only know what I read about them. Can you please share more detail / examples of the issues you found? What would be an example of a vehicle with a good safety system?
Thanks!

SWS

Dunno about 2017 but my 2010 Tundra is stupid on its nannies. To turn off traction control, I first push the TC button. This turns on the electronic limited slip (it drags brakes and tries to imitate limited slip diff). Then, as long as I'm stopped, a long push on TC will disable that, and disable TC--but VSC is still on. One more long push finally disables all three systems. One button, three pushes to disable TC--and I cannot be moving to do this.

I've found that in my truck VSC is a hindrance in very slow speed situations where some wheelspin is necessary. Once moving it's fine to have, but when stopped, a bit of spin is quite necessary. Toyota blew it on this setup. It needs three switches or better programming.

My wife's 2011 Camry though does a much better job. We never turn TC off in that. It will allow a moderate to fair amount of tire spin before activating.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Quality, reliability, and maintenance. Three different words with three different meanings that often get conflated.

If you enter the purchase accounting for this, maintenance should yield reliability.

The following doesn't apply as much anymore but in the 1980's-2000's the Japanese brands had a better reputation for quality which often yielded better reliability without as much maintenance. Conversely, there are many here who have proven that American brands whose quality was lower can be every bit as reliable with proper maintenance. Again, that doesn't apply as much anymore but shows how the conflation of the terms can start to happen.

As a side note, I had a friend recently give me a tour of his '17 Highlander. Nice vehicle but the way Toyota integrates the nannies and/or controls features for 'safety' was a big turn-off (no pun intended).

you forgot about durability. Which seems to have gone done over the past years while reliability has caught up. Since designs are more tech centric you just throwaway the damaged and pop in a new

Originally Posted By: SWS
Hi gofast182, per your comment, "...but the way Toyota integrates the nannies and/or controls features for 'safety' was a big turn-off (no pun intended)." With an 18-year old van, I don't have much experience with the new safety systems - I only know what I read about them. Can you please share more detail / examples of the issues you found? What would be an example of a vehicle with a good safety system?
Thanks!

SWS

What I was referring to is more along the lines of what functions the car enables/disables depending on whether it's in gear/moving in order to prevent distracted driving, also the function of the driver aid systems. I didn't drive the car but my buddy did his best to explain his annoyances to me. As a Honda/Acura/BMW driver some of the things he was telling me sounded a bit too restrictive/intrusive compared to what I'm used to. What would be an example of a vehicle with a good safety system? Some may say it's Toyota and they wouldn't be wrong, I just prefer that stuff to fade into the background more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back