2018 GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax - 5500mi OCI, 98,500mi

Tuned 2018 GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax with a DT44 turbo. 98,500mi.

Thoughts on increasing my OCI from 5,000-5,500mi to 6,500mi or more? I've been running Amsoil Max Duty 5W-40 in summer and 5W-30 in winter for about 50k mi. I put a lot of highway miles on the truck, commuting 110 miles per day, 5 days a week. Frequent 2800-4500lb towing. Changes come up about once every other month.

1689391892297.png

Last edited:
Looks good, I think it can do almost 7k. So how much power is that tuned and upgraded 2.8 making now, sounds sweet.

Everything appears in order on your Canyon. 10k miles would be a good number to see how the truck & oil work but it appears not much longer but a UOA would determine that answer. I don't know where you live but I see little reason to not just stick with the 5w-40 year around. Thanks for sharing!

470lb ft? That's more than the L87 6.2 in my 2021. Doesn't sound like the best idea. The 6l50 can take 500nm or 370 lb ft which is what the 2.8 originally delivered. If it blows you could swap in a 6l80. Preferably already built and with the torque converter software reprogrammed so it doesn't eat it. I know it'll bolt up though I believe the output shaft is different but a trans shop wouldn't have an issue. It won't happen quick but over stressing the trans reduces it's life a lot faster and especially since it's a diesel that'll be hitting peak torque frequently since it's at a low 2000 rpm unlike a gas engine. My 6.2 hits peak at 4100 rpm and I almost never accelerate that much.

470lb ft? That's more than the L87 6.2 in my 2021. Doesn't sound like the best idea. The 6l50 can take 500nm or 370 lb ft which is what the 2.8 originally delivered. If it blows you could swap in a 6l80. Preferably already built and with the torque converter software reprogrammed so it doesn't eat it. I know it'll bolt up though I believe the output shaft is different but a trans shop wouldn't have an issue. It won't happen quick but over stressing the trans reduces it's life a lot faster and especially since it's a diesel that'll be hitting peak torque frequently since it's at a low 2000 rpm unlike a gas engine. My 6.2 hits peak at 4100 rpm and I almost never accelerate that much.
That’s really apples to oranges. The L87 is a weak aluminum gasser. Also, many engines are distributed internationally and derated in the US for emissions purposes. This same engine is 240hp/420lbft in South America. The output per displacement is right on par with a mildly tuned L5P.

It’s been tuned for 50k mi and I’ve had no trans symptoms so far 🤞 I don’t drive it hard. From what I’ve read the the torque converter is the weakest link. If that goes, I’ll probably install a revmax torque converter and sonnex kit it while I’m at it.

27mpg. I had around 29 stock

I have the same truck but it’s a 2017 ATX CCLB. Eibach pro kit coilovers give it a 3” lift in the front and 1.5” in the back. 6 ply BFG KO2 on it now

I’ve always gotten around 24 mpg average since new. On a long freeway trip I almost got 26 MPGs. This is hand calculated using the Fuelly app.

Last edited:
I have the same truck but it’s a 2017 ATX CCLB. Eibach pro kit coilovers give it a 3” lift in the front and 1.5” in the back. 6 ply BFG KO2 on it now

I’ve always gotten around 24 mpg average since new. On a long freeway trip I almost got 26 MPGs. This is hand calculated using the Fuelly app.
I’m running eibachs adjustable coil overs and extended rear shocks with add a leafs, 1” rear blocks, icon front delta UCAs, sway bar link relocaters, and bora 1.25” spacers. 6 ply 275/65/r18 Toyo at3s. I would’ve gone with ko2s if I could find them 6 ply in this size or close!

At one point the truck was getting 24-25mpg but I found the EGR valve had failed open. I was experiencing boost leak like symptoms but no evidence of that on the intake/intercooler side of things. The entire intake manifold and throttle body was caked in a half inch of carbon gunk. Took care of that and the efficiency came back

Last edited:
I’m running eibachs adjustable coil overs and extended rear shocks with add a leafs, 1” rear blocks, icon front delta UCAs, sway bar link relocaters, and bora 1.25” spacers. 6 ply 275/65/r18 Toyo at3s. I would’ve gone with ko2s if I could find them 6 ply in this size or close!

At one point the truck was getting 24-25mpg but I found the EGR valve had failed open. I was experiencing boost leak like symptoms but no evidence of that on the intake/intercooler side of things. The entire intake manifold and throttle body was caked in a half inch of carbon gunk. Took care of that and the efficiency came back

Spacers with coil overs? Your CV axles must have some crazy angles, can’t be good for long term life.

I used the Peak differential drop kit with SPC upper control arms. Also got the peak add a leaf kit which I believe is the same as the autospring AAL kit.

The ATX has 17” wheels so 265/70R17 BFGs on mine. Lots of options in this size.

Another thing to add to your list is the Titan 36 gallon tank and Boost Auto tow mirrors. Fantastic upgrade.

My next project upgrade is a ZR2 front locker

Spacers with coil overs? Your CV axles must have some crazy angles, can’t be good for long term life.

I used the Peak differential drop kit with SPC upper control arms. Also got the peak add a leaf kit which I believe is the same as the autospring AAL kit.

The ATX has 17” wheels so 265/70R17 BFGs on mine. Lots of options in this size.

Another thing to add to your list is the Titan 36 gallon tank and Boost Auto tow mirrors. Fantastic upgrade.

My next project upgrade is a ZR2 front locker
Wheel hub spacers I meant :) I have the peak diff drop spacers as well.. I had some trouble installing them. My diff mount bolts wouldn't line up with them in place because of the new diff angle pivoting on the crossbar. I'm pretty sure my drivers side diff mount is cross threaded from brute forcing it in with a milwaukee 3/4" impact

I used to have gen 1 clearview mirrors from the previous owner but I sold them and put stocks back on. I can definitely get on board with the titan tank though.

There is a sick ZR2 front locker install on the "Diesel Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon 2.8 LWN Duramax" facebook page. The guy mounted a fused relay in the engine bay to the locker magnet wiring then ran a switch to the dash using in ignition-on power through the 4wd actuator fuse

Back to the UOA ....

The Fe wear is reasonable (especially given that some of this is towing); a hair under 3ppm/1k miles. The other metals are low enough to be a non-issue.

I'd say 7.5k miles is easily doable; probably more, depending upon the results at 7.5k.

Back