2017 Civic vs Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
2015 Corolla owner here with 36,xxx mile on it.

It is my wife's vehicle. Here are the pros and cons we have found.

Pros:

--Excellent gas mileage. Going 75mph we achieved 44 mpg on a long road trip. 100% city driving nets over 30. That's pretty good.
--Rides nicely around town and on the highway. Takes bumps like a larger car.
--Fit and finish on the inside are nice for this class. Touch screen is easy to use.
--CVT transmission while laggy from a start, drives nicely once up to speed. Honestly, worlds better than my 2017 OUtlander Sport. Seems like the sweet spot is on the highway. Seems to really scoot from 60-80 mph.
--LED headlights are clear and bright. Nice to have in an economy car.
--Backseat is very roomy compared to last gen Corolla. They really stretched this vehicle over previous generations. Seats a normal sized person comfortably.

Cons:

--CVT transmission fluid is very difficult for a DIY to change himself. Requires fluid temperature monitoring and four quarts of Toyota fluid is 80 dollars. Dealer wants 325 dollars for a change and recommended we do it twice before 100,000 miles. That adds up to a timing belt service people complain about on other vehicles. Arrggghh.

--CVT transmission is quite noisy. When I pull into the garage it is very noticeable.

--Paint seems easy to scratch.

--Seats are a bit firm for my liking, but that is subjective.

What does the manual say?

I rented a 2016 Corolla recently. Very blah chassis and steering. The interior is nice and modern. Materials were fine. Good back seat room. My biggest complaint/surprise was the engine - incredibly buzzy. Maybe there was something wrong with it? My 1.0 EcoBoost is significantly quieter and smoother. Would never consider buying one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

As for fuel dilution this can be fixed with more frequent oil changes and UOA's to confirm safe interval and/or using Bypass filtration unit. (Minor Trade Off)

Can't see how a bypass filtration unit will address fuel dilution. Please explain.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

As for fuel dilution this can be fixed with more frequent oil changes and UOA's to confirm safe interval and/or using Bypass filtration unit. (Minor Trade Off)

Can't see how a bypass filtration unit will address fuel dilution. Please explain.

Because it's really good at super cleaning the oil. Amsoil's bypass filtration system for example will bring down fuel dilution in the oil so the oil can be run substantially longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Because it's really good at super cleaning the oil. Amsoil's bypass filtration system for example will bring down fuel dilution in the oil so the oil can be run substantially longer.

As far as I can tell, to take petrol out of lubricating oil it would have to be:-

(A)using some exotic organic resin that did the equivalent of solvent partitioning, (in which case the resin would have to have a lot of capacity), or

(B) it'd have to be doing filtration at the molecular level, reverse-osmosis/kidney style, (in which case you could tip the petrol from it back into the tank every so often) or

(C) it'd have to be heating the oil (more than the engine does, but without cooking it) and distilling off the petrol.

I'd be surprised if its doing any of these things. (C) sounds most practical, but not all that easy.

Last edited:
If you care about driving this should be a no-brainer in favor of the Civic, just read the reviews. Unless you plan on keeping the car over ~125k I wouldn't worry too much about fuel dilution and you can always buy a supplementary factory warranty after the fact if it becomes important to you.

Get a civic with a manual. Car is awesome. But go for LX or sport version - save yourself a headache with the infotainment system. Thus far - the best little sedan I've ever owned. Blast to drive, excellent fuel economy, good build quality and stylish looking exterior. Hope this helps

The Corolla is a more conservative car. Uses an old engine design, more simple suspension (torsion beam).

The Corolla is a good car if you want to spend the least amount of money on a car. If you just want to get from point A to point B and spend the least money.

However, if you're a car enthusiast and care about driving I think you would like the Civic better. If I was buying a new compact car I don't think I would even consider the Corolla.

I would buy the Civic. It is a very good performing car. I also wouldn't worry too much about the fuel dilution, since I've yet to see any UOA where engine wear appeared to be a problem.

The Honda dealers all around me offer lifetime warranties, so I'm surprised they don't in your area as well.

I’ve put the ball in the Honda dealers court by asking him to find an Aegean Blue Touring. I can’t stand white cars with few exceptions. Will see if they’re interested in bothering.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Honda has a nicer performing CVT.
thumbsup2.gif

And an even nicer manual trans.
smile.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Originally Posted By: miden851
Civic with 2.0L engine

Can’t find Honda Sensing with that motor unfortunately

I don't know what's your goal with the vehicle, but keep in your mind more loaded models are more prone to fixing it later on or maybe even harder to sell it

Also Toyota offers that feature as a standard across their line up so maybe to jump on Toyota bandwagon because that specific feature

or maybe to wait on face lift of the Civic, Honda will be trickle that feature down across their line up most likely in coming years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back